Just got subbed with the most brutal pain ever

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No gi...

Over/Under Pass...

Captured butterfly hook in between my legs...

2nd Leg over my neck trying to triangle but unable to connect with other leg...

Dude reaches over with arm and goes inner forearm to pull ankle for a variation of rubber guard....

Side of my face touching his thigh as I start to pass...

His rubber guard arms elbow digging into my cheek bone...

I'm completely stuck, skull nearly collapses...

Totally unable to pull head out at this point...

I scream out in my pain and he lets go before I even tap...

morale of the story don't rest your face on your partners thigh in an over under pass kids!...poke it right out past his leg and get shoulder pressure

Last edited:
I would have just sprawled my weight onto his neck to force him back into closed guard and open him up with a can opener (which he is softened up for) then flip backwards into a heel hook. Normally I just hit the flying scissors and finish with a knee bar but you have to have a plan b.

The can opener is probably the most disgusting and ineffective closed guard opening method ever.

The can opener is probably the most disgusting and ineffective closed guard opening method ever.

So can openers don't hurt you? If they make you react, then they work well enough to be useful

So can openers don't hurt you? If they make you react, then they work well enough to be useful

Can opener is the first thing I try when opening the guard always...great tool for mma and bjj...we all do it at our gym so no one is offended or finds it dirty...it's a legit technique and we all recognize it

I got can opened once by a much bigger white belt. I privately complained about it to training partners and a veteran brown belt taught me to thrust my fingers into the opponent's throat if it ever happens again. I am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to do so.

Can openers only really work if you're a lot stronger / larger than your partner or if they really don't know what's going on.

It's probably better to just learn how to pass guard.

I got can opened once by a much bigger white belt. I privately complained about it to training partners and a veteran brown belt taught me to thrust my fingers into the opponent's throat if it ever happens again. I am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to do so.

So instead of being better at jiu jitsu you are just going to be a dick. Okay

I would have just sprawled my weight onto his neck to force him back into closed guard and open him up with a can opener (which he is softened up for) then flip backwards into a heel hook. Normally I just hit the flying scissors and finish with a knee bar but you have to have a plan b.

lol this all day theres no better way

Can opener is the first thing I try when opening the guard always...great tool for mma and bjj...we all do it at our gym so no one is offended or finds it dirty...it's a legit technique and we all recognize it

That's smart fighting wise... but at my gym it wouldn't fly =\
How do your higher belts usually counter it?

Sounds like you got caught in the "armless triangle" except he had it on your face instead of neck?

Can openers make me crossface or crossthroat the guy. Unless he's baiting that crossface and intends to do something with my arm they are not super productive.

Last edited:

All illegal in 95%+ of tournaments. Great advice though.

I don't know why people have an issue with the can opener submission...is it a dick move? Meh, only because the IBJJF rules say so. It's pretty damn easy to counter and defeat your opponent while they try it. Simple steps.

1: Open your guard
2: Place your feet on the ground
3. Push with your legs to create space and relieve pressure.

Now if you want to get trickier, try this...

1: Open your guard keeping knees tight
2: Latch on to opponent's arm at wrist with far hand and behind elbow with near hand
3: Place foot opposite of arm trapped on opponent's hip
4: Using foot on hip, rotate your body away from trapped arm while bridging/driving your hips to the sky
5: Apply arm bar
6: ??????
7: Profit

Almost all "inside the guard" submission attempts leave you vulnerable to arm bars, and your opponent is nearly always forced to weaken their own posture in an attempt to hit it their submission attempt.

There are many ways to set up an arm bar counter to the can opener, I just listed my preferred. Search "arm bar can opener" on youtube to see a variety of different techniques with the same end state.

That's smart fighting wise... but at my gym it wouldn't fly =\
How do your higher belts usually counter it?

It was an armless triangle but he had his arm underhooking his ankle like rubber guard ...and that arms elbow was digging into my face

Last edited:
also weird how this turned into a can opener thread there was no can opener just a weird position of my head stuck in between his elbow and thigh and my head nearly exploding

Back