Just got my heavybag...

silent_circus

bas rutten... respect.
Reaction score
I just set it up today, and I've been hammering away at it for 15 minutes or so, just to get the feel of it.

And, between my pinky and ring finger.. the skin is all torn up. Yes, I am wearing gloves. My wrists are also feeling some pain. I'm not complaining about the pain, but I am wondering if it is because I am doing something wrong?

Also, can any of you guys give me advice on what to do and what not to do? (It is a hanging heavybag that swings. I also have one of the tiny ball bags that hang from the top.

DO NOT punch with the pinky and ring knukle only middle (or pointing finger) knukle... and always keep your wrists straight... but you really should take some boxing class or something or you gonna destroy your hands

Haha you dont know how to punch and buy some bag gloves you goofy man you

silent_circus said:
I also have one of the tiny ball bags that hang from the top.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I think it's common for people to have problems like this when they first hit the heavy bag. I think what it all comes down to is form.
It's best to keep a vertical fist (as in holding a drink or something) as opposed to rolling the fist over. You have to make sure you're punching with the first two knuckles primarily.
Somebody put an interesting tip on there the other day that you might try.
It was something along the lines of squeezing your last two fingers (pinkie and ring finger) tightly when making a fist. Let the other fingers curl in naturally, but don't squeeze them.
Give that a try.
Also, keep in mind if you've never hit a heavy bag before, there will be a conditioning period you'll have to go through until your body gets used to the repetitive impact.
Let us know how it goes!
Good luck!

What kind of gloves are you using and are you wrapping your hands ?

I'm just using the Everlast gloves that came with the heavy bag... they are fairly thick.

And, I am starting to wrap my wrists... although I don't know how good of a job I am doing at wrapping.

get some handwraps maybe, if you're not used to the pain yet. eventually, you'll be able to go bareknuckle. i haven't seen you punch... maybe you're doing it wrong like the others said?

are you wearing mma gloves? mma gloves are fun but they fuck your hands up.

Yeeh, and hit lick 3/4 power for the first little while. Your body has to get used to punching. You can rupture the bursae in your wrist and you'll know what carpal tunnel feels like. The bursae is a bag that holds in the lubricating fluid around your eigh wrist bones. Without the lubrication and padding, the pain is pretty intense. Hands are not really made for hitting, so they take time to get hard. Hand wraps and good gloves are a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greshmedic
Back