Just got a tattoo...time off?

the_Dark Knight

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So this past saturday I got my 1st tattoo... its on my forearm. Im wondering what is the approriate time off? Somebody said I could train now but reall lite. Ive also heard a mth.. Ive heard a wk. Anybody w/ experience know?

It all really depends on your body, personally I wait about two weeks before training. Just make sure you wait until it scabs and then peels after that you should be right.

I say don't risk 'light' training either, especially if you are in a Gi. It will just act like sandpaper.

You can make up for two weeks of missed training, it's alot harder to fix a fucked tattoo.

Thanks, about how long till it peels? I mean looking at it now it looks fine. I still feel some bumps (in the thick bold areas) ..will that go down? And would you say to take time off from even doing conditioning? Will sweating mess it up?

Most tattoo artists will tell you "no real physical activity for 2 weeks". By this they just mean anything that could push or pull your skin. If the tattoo was done well, it shouldn't scab up. Nonetheless you'll definitly want to avoid armbar drills and anything involving that particular arm that could stretch the skin and open the wounds. If you insist on training, I would make sure you use some Ink Fix or Tattoo Goo and wrap it tightly but only while you are training. Tattoos need to be able to air out with a thin layer of ointment on top of them. When you get home, make sure you immediately unwrap it and wash the area good while you're in the shower. Preferably use water as hot as you can stand to help kill bacteria and aid in the healing process. After the shower, apply a thin layer of ointment to it and keep it unwrapped. Repeat however many times you train per week.

I used to run a tattoo studio and I've had my fair share of hours in the chair. Make sure you take care of it now because it's going to be there a while.

My instructor got a tattoo and was rolling light about 3 days later. My wife recently got one and the artist said it should be fine after like 2 days if you take care of it.

Thanks, about how long till it peels? I mean looking at it now it looks fine. I still feel some bumps (in the thick bold areas) ..will that go down? And would you say to take time off from even doing conditioning? Will sweating mess it up?

No. Sweat is fine. It's just warm salt water. It can actually aid in the healing process.

No I'd say you're right to continue conditioning. Yes the bumps will go down. Sweat shouldn't mess it up too bad either, if you're at gym just dab the area with a towel and you should be right.

well Ive putting aquaphor on it 2ce a day (in the morning and at night). And like I said it really doesnt look to fresh anymore, almost as if its been on me for a while. I was planning on taking this wk off anyway to rest some injuries but I know next week were having a seminar and I really wanted to attend

I'd say two weeks is perfect, one week at a push but certainly no sooner. I got a chest tattoo years ago when I used to box, and it took plenty of abuse about a week or so after I got it. Didn't do any visible damage.

its denpends on your body, for some you can train almost instantly for others they have to wait up to 1 month

imageshack.us -> Choose file -> Link here with [ IMG] file link goes here[/IMG ] without the spaces in

^ works

It's fine lettering so I would give it 2 weeks mate

I recently got a 1/2 sleeve done over 4 seperate sessions. All my appointments were on a Friday and I was back at training on Tuesday after every appointment. My tattoo has a lot more to it and a ton of color and I didn't have any issues. That being said I never scabbed or had any issues at all. When it was no longer sore I would wait a day or two before training again. Just be safe as everyone is different. My tattoo artist said that as long as it isn't scabbing you'll be fine to train. Just be careful that people aren't gripping your forearm and twisting while rolling.

^ works

It's fine lettering so I would give it 2 weeks mate

thanks.I still think the "t" and the "o" are too close together though. I originally wanted to get one on my bicep, but changed my mine... might go back later to get one

I recently got a 1/2 sleeve done over 4 seperate sessions. All my appointments were on a Friday and I was back at training on Tuesday after every appointment. My tattoo has a lot more to it and a ton of color and I didn't have any issues. That being said I never scabbed or had any issues at all. When it was no longer sore I would wait a day or two before training again. Just be safe as everyone is different. My tattoo artist said that as long as it isn't scabbing you'll be fine to train. Just be careful that people aren't gripping your forearm and twisting while rolling.

Yeah, I think I'm naturally a quickhealer and I take care of my injuries/ illnesses right away so thats a big help. I'm thinking I should be good to go by next wk

I'd say two weeks is perfect, one week at a push but certainly no sooner. I got a chest tattoo years ago when I used to box, and it took plenty of abuse about a week or so after I got it. Didn't do any visible damage.

Same here. I've gotten tats and submerged them and put them in the sun right after. Nothing bad happened, but I wouldn't do it again.

Treat it like an open wound, because it pretty much is.

Don't train for 10-14 days man. Certainly not in a gi, and if you do train no-gi, cover it up AND wear a long sleeve rashguard.

But since it's an open wound you have 2 problems:

1. In gi, the clothing will tear that shit up, and it'll be excruciating and could fuck up your tat.

2. No-gi you're more likely to get staph and your tat is an open wound, so imagine getting MRSA or something. I've heard of some extreme horror stories of people getting staph in their new tats. Like amputation type horror stories.

You have your body for life, so take care of it. On the bright side, you can train for life too. No hurry. I know it sucks, but I just came back from eye surgery with like 6 weeks off and even I rushed back and can't do gi yet. Just take your time chief.

Back