Just gave blood, will it be fine to grapple in the morning?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sylva, Nov 11, 2005.

1. sylva

sylva White Belt

Pretty simple? Just want to know if some of you guys that im sure have given blood think it's going to be fine to grapple in the morning. IT will be more than 12 hours afterwards thanks for the advice.

2. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

Eat some food, take a nap and see how it feels. I think a lot of decisions like this is up to the individual themselves.

3. sylva

sylva White Belt

Eating thing is no problem with me, and i'll go home and take a nap after work and take it easy tonight. And I don't forse a problem, I feel fine now.

4. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

You probably should have asked them.

5. johil d'o

johil d'o Thought Warrior

Take a week off.

6. Cyclic17

Cyclic17 Yellow Belt

Your blood volume will be replaced within a few hours as long as you rest and rehydrate.

7. DMcKayBJJ

DMcKayBJJ Blue Belt

The lifespan of a red blood cell is about 3 months. So it will take that long for your body's red blood cell stores to be the exact same as they were right before you gave the blood.
    But for healthy people this is not a problem. You can definitely grapple tomorrow, if not immediately after giving blood. You just might feel a little more tired than usual. But it's not dangerous.

8. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

9. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

I gave blood on Monday and wrestled pretty intensely two hours later. The next day, I boxed and had grappling practice. I felt really tired, but it was probably due to overtraining rather than blood loss. At least I hope so... Don't do what I did and take a break.

10. tequilaman

tequilaman Guest

I have done that twice, and both times I regretted it. It felt like I was cutting weight even though I wasn't. It goes away after 2 days though. Either that or your body gets used to a lower blood cell count.

11. Lester McGrath

Lester McGrath Yellow Belt

I have given blood plenty of times. They always say the same thing: no hard work or exercise for the rest of the day and drink a lot of water.