• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just checked the betting line for Cyborg/Holm: WOW!!!

The problem is Holly's a lot more limited than Baars and doesn't have her skill set & setups. It's not impossible but it's going to be a lot harder for Holly to catch & wobble Cyborg with a good strike than it was for Baars. She doesn't have Jorina's high step-in knees or front kicks which did most of the damage against Cyborg, and she's generally lacking in firepower once the fight closes in past kicking range. She's not a power puncher like Nunes or de Randamie, nor does she have Shevchenko's timing & accuracy, and her knees & elbows are weak and next to useless in tight.

Sure it's possible she might catch, wobble, and finish Cyborg, but I think that outcome is pretty low percentage.

Holly is definitely lacking in the power department and can't use those long knees, teeps, etc. But unlike Baars, she can move, which means that she will not be cornered and smothered so easily. It also means that she will have more opportunities to catch Cyborg as she tries to close the distance.

I think that it's her footwork combined with Cyborgs inability to fight on the move that can create the opportunities for a finish. We'll see.

I also realize that Cyborg has exceptional power and speed for a woman, and that it carries through to the championship rds. It could end Holly-Jackson-Wink's plans real fast.

Considering Cyborg has been a can crusher for years she should not be such a heavy favorite over the first decent fighter she's faced since Gina Carano. I'm going to drop a little bit on Holm. What's a good site to place a bet? I've never done it before.

Most of Cyborgs opponents have those frumpy mom-bods. They often fold after a few hard shots, barely offering any offense. Not to mention many of her opponents move up in weight to meet her, all in the name of getting a decent paycheck. She rarely fights large athletic women, never mind ones with decent skills by WMMA standards.

I do believe Cyborg will be tested real soon, by Holly or perhaps later by Megan Anderson. These girls are actual athletes.

Some people get to sucked up by hype and 'unbeatable' auras. We saw it with Joanna recently.

Every dog has it's day.

Who knew losing to the best female kickboxer in the world in a kickboxing match exposed cyborg lmao

Just imagine baars vs cyborg in a octagon

Who has megan anderson tested her so called athleticism against

I guarantee you she would get easily beaten by evinger

And i guarantee you holm would struggle vs envinger

Holly lost to 2 very skilled strikers that actually came to fight, and Tate lost every round until that hail mary choke that came out of nowhere at the last minute. And Cyborg's last 3 opponents were...who again?

Holm got totally dominated in rd 2 & barely landed a significant strike on tate the whole fight

Cyborg is far more agile, athletic, can wrestle & has a strong clinch & top game

I guess we counting on cyborg to just come forward & swing wide & not use her superior MMA skill & experience

You mention the Baars fight as a negative???? She ate some ridiculous shots from a girl much bigger than Holms and went to a decision. If anything that fight should have given you MORE confidence that Holm won't finish Cyborg.

None of these flush shots finished her...

Cristiane__Justino__vs__Jorina_Baars_4.gif

tumblr_nwg3w0v7DY1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

Cristiane__Justino__vs__Jorina_Baars_3.gif

...because as I tried to explain, Baars didn't get to pounce on her and attemp a finish. You know: different rules.

I'm pointing to this fight as an example of how vulnerable Cyborg is when she tries to chase. She has a chin, no question, but she will not be benefitting from an 8 count in MMA...

i love Holly, huge fan... but fuck i see cyborg being the smarter MMA fighter..

she's too smart to try and bang and stay standing with Holly..

Cyborg is going to try and Ground n Pound holly much the way i wish i could

that's an awesome bet on Holm if you can actually get 8:1.

Cyborg should know that Holly is a matador. So Cyborg shouldn't rush in like a bull. If she is smart she will try to clinch and take down Holm and pound on her to finish or submit.

I will LOL if borg runs in and eats leather and Holly dances away.

Nuggets like this is where you can really take the bookies to the cleaners.

Personally, I have Holm winning the fight anyway, but besides that just look at the odds!

For Holly Holm to stop Cyborg you can get 8/1 - that is nothing short of crazy.

Then if you look at the over/under, it's curently at 1.5 rounds. This fight will 100% go longer than 1.5 rounds and at 4/9 odds, that is practically free money. Could Cyborg land a big shot and KO Holm, sure could. Could Holly catch Cris with a counter and TKO her quickly, sure could. With all that said, Holly isn't a presser and she's also elusive enough to not get caught in the first round. I think that is a shoe-in.

If you then look at the individual rounds, you can get Holly by TKO in Round 3, 4 or 5 at crazy prices like 33/1, 40/1 and 50/1.

On paper this is a close fight - but with odds like this, it's begging to be bet on.

Even Holly on points is 4/1.

Someone is sleeping at the wheel here.
This is the post I was looking for... I mostly agree with your assessment and follow up posts regarding this being a lot closer then Vegas thinks, but logically and I think technically, I give a slight edge to Cyborg. Holly has been stopped several times in boxing & kickboxing. The most logical outcome to me is Cyborg catching and tko'ing her with cumulative shots as she is want to do, most always forget she doesn't really have 1 shot ko power. That being said, I have a feeling about this one (which has almost always won me money in the past) and I may drop some lowballer change on Holly R3 TKO.

Still don't understand how people can think that Holm has a chance of beating Cyborg. She looked like trash up until she got a ko win over an even worse fighter. SHevchenko was the only good fighter that Holm had fought- Valentina took her to school.

betting my house , wife , an dog on the over.

Holly is going to get steam rolled. Op can’t be serious. One takedown and this fight is over

Going all
ruyI5cw.gif
with Holly for a full 5rds of punch, kick, stick & move point fighting or a late rounds finish on a winded Cyborg...

I most certainly did watch wmma in the early years. I admitted Coenen had been around. She's a veteran, but who did she beat that had long term relevance?

Carano was terrified of Cyborg. She looked good up until the Cyborg fight but when the going got tough, she melted and never came back.

There's always hype. Wmma was new and Gina and Marloes were names at the time, but where are they now? Thiago silva was a name at one point..Bret Rogers was too...remember Houston Alexander? He was for real until he fought someone that was for real.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Coenen fought all of the fighters who were relevant during the prime of her career including two fights with Cyborg. There are no fighters that have long term relevance unless they are in an empty division. The first fight was probably even the period where Cyborg was maxed out on PED's since she got busted a couple fights later. How much more relevant can it get?

I also disagree with your assessment of GIna. If Gina had been prepared with a ground game and some fights against FW fighters she likely would have beat Cyborg. Cyborg took her to the ground immediately at the beginning and there were multiple opportunities for Gina to be on top and use the ground game but she chose to stand up. This fight was no different for Gina than her other fights. Gina had never fought a single fight at 145 lbs until she fought Cyborg. Her first fight was 135 lbs and the rest were Catchweight fights at 140 lbs where she was overweight on every weigh-in while her opponent was either correct weight or even lighter than 140 lbs. Gina obviously made a great decision to stay in Hollywood because as we all know the 145 lb division has been shallow since the beginning. Her only money fight would be a rematch against Cyborg. Ronda refused to go up to higher weights.

Holly can definitely win, but she has to pull the trigger. I had her winning the JDR title fight and thought she got robbed. Same night as the Brunson vs Silva robbery. She’s been extremely cautious lately and I would not surprised if Cyborg tries to grapple and use gnp, it would be her best strategy.

Back