Junior Dos Santos and the Lucky Punch

Every punch is lucky to a degree because you don't have total control over your opponent's defense. That punch was not a particularly lucky punch.

Didn't read OP's post. The punch wasn't lucky JDS has been KOing guys left in right since he first got into the UFC.

When I read the title, my initial reaction was "Here we go again, another dumb thread trying to discredit JDS' first win against Cain...", but I was wrong. Great breakdown, TS.

The way JDS sets up that overhand right is brilliant.

You might as well put quotation marks on "Lucky Punch" in the title.

Anyway, great OP.

lol Same sentiments exactly.

That punk was in no way lucky. JDS timed it perfectly.

Thanks, Charlie. :) I won't deny that I'm baiting a little bit with the title, but I hope that leads to pleasant surprise when people realize the irony in my use of the phrase.

Although I have had one person already who clearly didn't read the write-up tell me that I was a douchebag and must be a Cain fan or a JDS hater. Ah well...

I thought the same thing... only to be pleasantly surprised. JDS set that KO up beautifully.

Agreed. It always surprises me how a guy with 12 of his 16 wins coming by KO/TKO is tagged with a "lucky punch" tag.
Good post though OP.

lol Same sentiments exactly.

Yep, it's always refreshing to see quality posts/threads here on Sherdog.

very nice.

yesterday i got into a dumb debate with someone who claimed that JDS was gassed after 2 minutes. your analysis about JDS's inability to get away from the onslaught (e.g. didn't know how to get his back of the fence, tried to escape with a jab but didn't have any plan after the jab) does a good job of explaining what happened from :60 - 2:30.

kudos.

should be a good bout, i look forward to it.

I definitely believe there's such a thing as a "lucky punch", literally everything in life involves luck to a significant degree. A lot of fighting is like poker - it involves guess-work into what your opponent is going to do, and sometimes just by chance the cards won't go your way.

However the JDS punch was definitely not lucky, JDS set it up and Cain fell for the setup hook line and sinker. Cain dropping JDS the next fight wasn't lucky either.

As many have said, both fights essentially came down to who landed the big punch first. Of course that's not unusual for HW fights. But I'm hoping this next fight is more a back and forth affair.
so your saying a fight like randleman vs cro cop ?.... randleman had no business standing with Mirko and he somehow managed to KO the shit outta him.
Randleman's punch wasn't lucky either - he faked a level change, Mirko dropped his hands to sprawl, and Randleman landed completely clean on a wide open Mirko.

Randleman has a puncher's chance against anybody, he's one of the hardest hitters in MMA history. He just didn't have much technical skill.

Randleman KOing Cro Cop like that was extremely unlikely, but unlikely and "lucky punch" are not the same thing.

very nice.

yesterday i got into a dumb debate with someone who claimed that JDS was gassed after 2 minutes. your analysis about JDS's inability to get away from the onslaught (e.g. didn't know how to get his back of the fence, tried to escape with a jab but didn't have any plan after the jab) does a good job of explaining what happened from :60 - 2:30.

kudos.

should be a good bout, i look forward to it.

i didnt say he was gassed dummy. I said he was slowing down and he was. He will slow down 2 or 3 min into this one too if Cain puts that pace on him.

Slowing down doesnt = gassed. Reading comprehension FTW!!

Totally agree. Not a lucky punch. JDS knew where it was going, and he connected. Surprising? Yes. Sudden? Absolutely.

To me, a lucky punch is when a fighter is throwing wildly without any specific intention and happens to connect, which is not something you see pro fighters do very often.

I love ur analyst's keep it going cheers

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas. It's always nice to see how supportive the MMA community is. Makes doing this all the more worthwhile. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back