Opinion Juneteeth Menu at Ikea sparks major outrage!!!

wonderbread

Stiff Member
Banned
Reaction score
I'm confused because I'm watching a netflix series called High on the Hog and it's about African American influence on food. And it nailed it... Are they just mad it's Ikea and not some place like Golden Corral?
G4TcKJC.png

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/ikea-juneteenth-menu-of-watermelon-fried-chicken-sparks-outrage/
An attempt to honor Juneteenth has backfired spectacularly for one Georgia Ikea.

An Atlanta branch of the Scandinavian furniture chain has sparked outrage with what employees are calling an intensely problematic menu curated to celebrate the holiday, which marks the emancipation of the very last enslaved Americans.

“To honor the perseverance of Black Americans and acknowledge the progress yet to be made, we observe Juneteenth on Saturday, June 19, 2021,” begins an email acquired by TMZ, which was sent to employees at the branch last week. “Look out for a special menu on Saturday which will include: fried chicken, watermelon, mac n cheese, potato salad, collard greens, candied yams.”

I'm confused because I'm watching a netflix series called High on the Hog and it's about African American influence on food. And it nailed it... Are they just mad it's Ikea and not some place like Golden Corral?
G4TcKJC.png

https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/ikea-juneteenth-menu-of-watermelon-fried-chicken-sparks-outrage/
An attempt to honor Juneteenth has backfired spectacularly for one Georgia Ikea.

An Atlanta branch of the Scandinavian furniture chain has sparked outrage with what employees are calling an intensely problematic menu curated to celebrate the holiday, which marks the emancipation of the very last enslaved Americans.

“To honor the perseverance of Black Americans and acknowledge the progress yet to be made, we observe Juneteenth on Saturday, June 19, 2021,” begins an email acquired by TMZ, which was sent to employees at the branch last week. “Look out for a special menu on Saturday which will include: fried chicken, watermelon, mac n cheese, potato salad, collard greens, candied yams.”
I dont think that's bad.
But probably considered more as "southern food"

G4TcKJC.png

Dude, if I can get this and Swedish meatballs on the same plate I'd never leave. Kids, welcome to Smallville, your new forever home.

This is like that time when "Home Depot" served fried rice to it's employees to honor the Chinese New Year.

I'm no expert but I think having the Fried Chicken and Watermelon as the top two headliners on the menu is where they went wrong.

I mean Fried Chicken followed by mac and cheese, potato salad, collard greens... then further down the line you throw in the watermelon like a dessert option before the candied yams?

again, I'm no expert here

I can't believe I had to seriously try and rationalize that

When I was in the Army and over in Kuwait they served Soul Food in the Chow Hall one day to honor black history month. They had Fried Chicken, Ham Hocks, grits, Watermelon, Black-eyed peas, Candied yams, macaroni and cheese, collard green, mustard greens, corn bread, etc... They even had a few different flavors of Kool Aid. This was in 2005 and i don't remember anybody being outraged. If anything they were amped, because they were serving food they grew up on back home.

Consequences of making African American Cuisine a stereotype instead of you know... A celebrated facet of our American Melting Pot.

But yal gon head and play obtuse like yall always do.

It is a celebrated stereotype.

Looking at the wiki page on soul food, it seems like legit things people ate. Obviously these days no one really needs to go out of their way to create high-calorie foods to fuel hard physical labour, so modern-day black people may not relate 100% to soul food.

When I was in the Army and over in Kuwait they served Soul Food in the Chow Hall one day to honor black history month. They had Fried Chicken, Ham Hocks, grits, Watermelon, Black-eyed peas, Candied yams, macaroni and cheese, collard green, mustard greens, corn bread, etc... They even had a few different flavors of Kool Aid. This was in 2005 and i don't remember anybody being outraged. If anything they were amped, because they were serving food they grew up on back home.
2005 was 16 years ago, may as well be 100 years ago as fast as everything is moving at this point.

Would it have been better if they served boring white people food?

Consequences of making African American Cuisine a stereotype instead of you know... A celebrated facet of our American Melting Pot.

But yal gon head and play obtuse like yall always do.

Fried poultry is universal, watermelon isn't a cuisine, mac n cheese belongs to italy (even if they don't accept it), potato salad originated in germany, Collard likely originated in the Greece area, and yams were cultivated independently by different peoples from around the world.

Care to try again? Maybe bring something better than some D-rate sloppy statement this time?

Back