Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor

ViiT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the most talk about fights in history. Do you think the stoppage was justified?

Watch the the fight

This thread isn't new, but I just want to know what people think.

We've done this one a few times.
I think it was a snap decision and Meldrick wasnt answering the ref so he has nobody to blame but himself for being stopped. He should have stayed away from JC Chavez anyway.

Yeah a ref can't and shouldn't have to make you fight whether there are 2 minutes left in the round or 10 seconds. He asked Taylor if he wants to go and he just gazed off into the distance, what do you do with a guy like that? It would've been a different story if he jumped up and pushed forward at the ref to let him fight. That said, I feel bad for Taylor because he didn't know what was going on around him and if Richard Steele just pushed him at Chavez, the fight would've been over before he had a chance to fall. but yeah this thread has been done multiple times, let's end it here and never repeat or bump.

Proper stoppage. Time left in a fight is irrelevant.

justified. chavez had him in critical condition. great fight. shame to see taylor hurt from putting it on the line in the ring

Meldrick worked his ass off and in your heart, you feel he deserved those few seconds, but the situation is to blame. The ref did nothing wrong. It was proper.

good sttopage from my point of view, he asked him the questions he didnt answered them it means the guy its hurt so wh knows perhaps could have been worst but good decision by richard

it's a sad story but if you can't answer the ref...what's the use..alot can happen in those 10 seconds and if you get beaten completely silly people would start pointing their fingers at the ref(although meldrick kinda is anyways)

It was a fair stoppage.

People forget that it's not the ref's job to keep track of the fight, or worry about the clock, it's the fighter's adherence to the rules and the fighter's health - that's it. And Taylor looked like he's been to hell and back.

Here is a cool read that presents both sides of the coin:
Chavez-Taylor and the controversy of the stoppage

I felt it was an incorrect stoppage. The reasons are in the link above.

Interestingly enough, the referee selected for the bout was the only referee that Taylor's corner asked them not to choose (due to his tendency to side with King's fighters). Why not select a referee that neither camp has a problem with?

Ok, 1990 called and they want their thread back.

Horrible stoppage by a horrible ref in Richard Steele...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back