Judo Wrestling BJJ

Symphony-x

White Belt
Reaction score
So in september I'm going off to Aberdeen [Scotland] to university, so I'm having to change my training camp. Instead of my Kickboxing i'll finally get to pick up T. woot.

However I have always wanted to learn grappling and ground skills, and in Aberdeen there are several places I could learn.

I have the choice of either Wrestling, Judo or BJJ, but to be honest, I havnt a clue what to choose.

I've always liked slams, but also love takedowns and throws as well as submission. I'm pretty strong, so can anyone give me help on what to choose, or help me figure out what would be best for me?

thanks

They all are good. And excel in different areas. So try them all, see what you like best?

If you can do em all, you'll be quite the beast.

Wrestling - great shoot, explosiveness. Conditioning/work ethic
BJJ - Technical prowess on the ground. Excellent subs, sub defense.
Judo - Great stand up/clinch grappling, some ground and subwork.. Sort of a middleground between wrestling and bjj( to put it in simple terms )

Definitely try them all to see what you enjoy the most. If it's possible, can you choose two?

I could if I had the time, and probably the money, depending on how much they are. But I will have a look and try it out when the time comes, its a toss up between judo and wrestling really.

bjj and judo if your gonna do two. If your doing one then wrestling. Good luck!

If you can do two, you HAVE to have BJJ as one of them. So Judo and BJJ would be really effective because they flow quite nicely with eachother and are both with gi (although there is no gi also.) Then theres BJJ and wrestling which gives you this hybrid style thats really explosive if you can work on it. I'd personally do wrestling and BJJ, but its your choice.

What are the circumstances of the training? Is the wrestling a separate school or is it the school's team that you try out for? How much time do you have to dedicate to training? What are the possibilities for competition for each of the three?

I train with a high school wrestling team five days a week for two to three hours a day during their season which is October through February. I tried to do this along with BJJ and found it too taxing on the body. Now I'm sure I'm older (38) than you and maybe you can do both, I realized after about three weeks it was too much.

After the wrestling season I do BJJ (primarily) and judo (sporadically)

Since from my experience there is a much higher emphasis on conditioning in wrestling and in wrestling it is all position and control. You are not working on submissions, I think this is better for a beginner to grappling since it will dissuade from being one of the beginners that completely ignores position and goes almost immediately for the submission that I see in beginners in BJJ. You will get this beat out of you after a few months if you go right into BJJ. The one thing about transition from wrestling to BJJ is you have to learn to be comfortable off your back and not offer your back to your opponent. These habits aren't that difficult to break, but you will have to break them.

As mentioned above, try all three and see what you like. I know some people that hate wrestling but love doing BJJ and vise versa.

such a hard choice as they are all great. can't go wrong with any choice really

i've never done judo, but watching the sessions it looks really fun.

Back