Judo Tournaments?

ZeMino

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do they hold Judo tournaments in Los Angeles?
How can you compete in one?
Do you need to join some organization or something?

Thanks.. I was just interested in trying out the judo scene..

Wasn't this same thread started by someone else yesterday for a different area?

No, sorry haven't been to a judo club yet... just BJJ clubs... I want to compete for throws instead of always being on the ground...

ZeMino said:
No, sorry haven't been to a judo club yet... just BJJ clubs... I want to compete for throws instead of always being on the ground...

You'll probably wind up on the ground anyway, as you'll enter at the beginner level, and they won't hit perfect ippon's anyway.

Check Judoinfo.com, or stop by a local club. You'll have to register for USJA/USJF to compete anyway.

ps- Review the rules before you go there.

I still remember the rules, the point scoring, Im a little blurry about the bowing.. but yeah alot of them will end up on the ground but youll be up in no time.. actually I have competed just not here in the US.. thanks for the info..

oh ok i thought u were just a pure bjj guy that wanted to go into judo comps and get owned by blackbelts and refs that hate groundwork

For club tournaments they aern't too picky about membership, any regional tournaments you will need USJA membership, your best bet is too check out a local judo club.

Commissar said:
Yeah. I started this exact thread a few days ago.

Oh you did?sorry I wasn't abe to catch it..

There are barely any judo tournaments around.. its not like BJJ were their held every month here..

ZeMino said:
Oh you did?sorry I wasn't abe to catch it..

There are barely any judo tournaments around.. its not like BJJ were their held every month here..

That's funny... Around the East coast, it seems like there's a Judo tourney every two weeks, but you have to travel a couple hours to catch a BJJ one every couple of months.

As long as you know the rules, you should be good, and in my experience, if you stay active on the ground, they'll usually let you go far longer than you should need. I've won all my judo matches by submission, and at states last year I had my all-time favorite match which nearly went the full four minutes, ending with a kuzure jigo ku jime after two full minutes on the ground. It was awesome, but left me with NOTHING for the next match, and I wound up having to drop out anyway with a scratched retina.

Also, I didn't even think of in-house tournaments. Smart thinking, there.

Back