Judo Schools

Prokofievian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Well, i'm a week from being out in the work force, and depending on what offer I take, I might have the time to do Jiu Jitsu whenever I want, as well as doing Judo. It's interesting though, we have two really really good Judo schools here. One has a 5th dan blackbelt, and another one has a 3 time olympian as its technical advisor.

The interesting thing is that classes are only twice per week. The opportunity that would afford me the opportunity to study on both days per week.

But is this normal for a Judo school to only have classes twice per week? Is this enough to become good at Judo?

Well, i'm a week from being out in the work force, and depending on what offer I take, I might have the time to do Jiu Jitsu whenever I want, as well as doing Judo. It's interesting though, we have two really really good Judo schools here. One has a 5th dan blackbelt, and another one has a 3 time olympian as its technical advisor.

The interesting thing is that classes are only twice per week. The opportunity that would afford me the opportunity to study on both days per week.

But is this normal for a Judo school to only have classes twice per week? Is this enough to become good at Judo?

Normal at recreational clubs. And no, nowhere near enough time to become good, if by good you mean competitive. If by good you mean a good recreational fighter (which I'm not slagging - most folks with a job and a family to feed are recreational, and its great that they do judo, or BJJ, or anything more than sit around watching TV). It's like any activity, you have to put in time to get good. Since a very large element of throwing is timing, twice a week is not going to get you very far.

Find out though if its lessons twice a week and open practice other times (common, and works fairly well, you get a lot of randori time that way to test what you're learning), or just twice a week for everything.

Normal at recreational clubs. And no, nowhere near enough time to become good, if by good you mean competitive. If by good you mean a good recreational fighter (which I'm not slagging - most folks with a job and a family to feed are recreational, and its great that they do judo, or BJJ, or anything more than sit around watching TV). It's like any activity, you have to put in time to get good. Since a very large element of throwing is timing, twice a week is not going to get you very far.

Find out though if its lessons twice a week and open practice other times (common, and works fairly well, you get a lot of randori time that way to test what you're learning), or just twice a week for everything.

Interesting points raised here. Should I get a job at this company I'll definetly inquire.

For Judo, I guess you could say that I'm "recreational." I will be studying it as a suppliment to BJJ. No matter what job I take, I'll be studying 4-6 days per week. Problem is, I know dick all about taking people down. Ergo, Judo would be neat to have in my 'bag 'o tricks.'

Twice a week with open mat on Saturdays is pretty much the standard for Judo clubs.

If you're supplementing with BJJ, that should be plenty though.

As far as picking a Judo club, I'd check both out and go with the club that likes to randori a lot.

Also, judo clubs are bit more traditional as far as customs. (i.e. bowing before stepping on mat) Just a FYI...

It is normal for a Judo club to only have classes twice a week. As for it being enough to become competitive; it isn't. That's why most (if not all) good judo clubs recommend that you go see other clubs whenever you have the chance to do so.

Twice a week with open mat on Saturdays is pretty much the standard for Judo clubs.

If you're supplementing with BJJ, that should be plenty though.

As far as picking a Judo club, I'd check both out and go with the club that likes to randori a lot.

Also, judo clubs are bit more traditional as far as customs. (i.e. bowing before stepping on mat) Just a FYI...

It would be more Judo supplimenting BJJ as BJJ is my main focus. Thanks guys, I'll check if they have an open mat, or indeed if I could make it to both.

Back