Judo/sambo vs wrestling

NolanLeafs

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the better style to start training in for mma takedowns for someone new to the sport
wrestling with the shoot or Judo/sambo clinch/throw?

Not starting a controversy or fight. looking for good points to choose a style to train in.

i got a brilliant idea, you wont believe it

JUDO, SAMBO, ANDDDDDDDDDDDD WRESTLING!!

i am so sick of these threads, whats better for mma? DO BOTH! if you cant afford both, chose one, and then do the other later.

problem solved
mods lock this, i dont want to see another style vs style argument

Wrestling is easier to adapt to MMA and useful in controlling your opponents. Judo is good if you train at a nogi place, which is rare. Sambo is good too but they don't use chokes. I'd say to cross train in wrestling and BJJ. Usually wrestlers start training from middle school or high school though.

Uh I think that's why he made the thread.

I think he made the thread to start debates. If he wanted to know what is personally best for him in his situation, he would have given us information about his situation, including the clubs available, their prices, the level of the instructors, distance, etc.

There is no such thing as "judo" or "wrestling" and asking, "Which one is better?" when we are talking about individual contexts--because people train at particular judo or wrestling clubs, with particular instructors, and of particular frequency. If he could get 5 days of judo training per week with a great coach who trains competitive athletes, I would advise him to take up that sport, compared to a simple wrestling club or something. However, if he can train with college wrestlers then he ought to do that. All of it depends on the person's individual context.

im 24yrs old with no fight exp except for fighting in hockey where two guys just stand and swing for the hills. So im look for advice on what kind of training is practial for real life and mma fighting.

have both judo and wrestling avalible just time constraints for training

Judo and wrestling are almost free anywhere I've ever heard of - there's no financial problems with taking both.

And both are very worth taking. Add in BJJ and you've got the complete grappling for MMA package.

im 24yrs old with no fight exp except for fighting in hockey where two guys just stand and swing for the hills. So im look for advice on what kind of training is practial for real life and mma fighting.

For real life learn to run and run fast the greatest way not to get your ass kicked is to not be around for said ass kicking. Look for whatever schools are closest for you and find an MMA school or some club that offers judo, sambo, or wrestling. Determine the cost effectiveness of each and then decide on which is right for you. Then change the name of this thread to "I'm trying to learn takedowns what kind of schools do you recommend."

In the New York metropolitan area, there's palce out in Brooklyn called Brooklyn Wrestling Club and they teach wrestling, sambo, and Judo and wrestling for "ultimate fighting"(probably offset of BJJ).

The guy running it is a former Soviet greco-roman competitor. So if you can learn all three and use it for your game why not.:icon_chee

http://www.wrestlingny.com/

In the New York metropolitan area, there's palce out in Brooklyn called Brooklyn Wrestling Club and they teach wrestling, sambo, and Judo and wrestling for "ultimate fighting"(probably offset of BJJ).

The guy running it is a former Soviet greco-roman competitor. So if you can learn all three and use it for your game why not.:icon_chee

Wow, sounds stellar.

I would say Wrestling and Sambo.

Any will do. They're all capable of making you good at takedowns if its a decent club and...

aww screw it. Thats not really what I want to say. What I want to say would take some balls and that would take some beer. But then, by the time I post my thoughts you wouldn't be able to comprehend them anyway..so what the hell...just go JUDO and learn the basic sub game while your at it..:D

Damn. That does look good.

Not another one of these threads.

Both will help you. I wrestled for 5 years before I picked up Judo. THey both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

People to become a great mma fighter you must be good in everything. Punches,kicks,elbows,knees,clinch,throw,sub,takedowns the whole shibamm!

People to become a great mma fighter you must be good in everything. Punches,kicks,elbows,knees,clinch,throw,sub,takedowns the whole shibamm!

That was quite an unnecessary extrapolation from the TS's point. I dont belive he was saying that all he needed was takedowns, just that he's trying to consider in which discipline to study takedowns.

Now for my two cents. I really believe that you should find the solution which is the most inclusive. You really do need exposure to everything you can get your hands on. That being said, you probably dont have the time to study wrestling, sambo, and judo separate from each other. Sambo is an amalgam between many eastern martial arts including Judo(created by the first two european blackbelts in judo), and slavic folk wrestling. I would say that for a single class, you might get exposure to more takedowns and theories in sambo, than the other ones. If you're in toronto, you have a good sambo school there I believe. You're not going to be as good of a wrestler as someone who trains pure wrestling. You're not going to be as good of a Judoka as someone studying purely Judo. But for an MMA context, it would seem to me that you might have more to offer in terms of what techniques you've encountered than just a wrestler, or just a judoka. There's not going to be too much that's too foreign.

So long as they believe the old russian anecdote "when the training is hard, the battle is easy" it should be a good road to stroll down.

My two cents.

That was quite an unnecessary extrapolation from the TS's point. I dont belive he was saying that all he needed was takedowns, just that he's trying to consider in which discipline to study takedowns.

Now for my two cents. I really believe that you should find the solution which is the most inclusive. You really do need exposure to everything you can get your hands on. That being said, you probably dont have the time to study wrestling, sambo, and judo separate from each other. Sambo is an amalgam between many eastern martial arts including Judo(created by the first two european blackbelts in judo), and slavic folk wrestling. I would say that for a single class, you might get exposure to more takedowns and theories in sambo, than the other ones. If you're in toronto, you have a good sambo school there I believe. You're not going to be as good of a wrestler as someone who trains pure wrestling. You're not going to be as good of a Judoka as someone studying purely Judo. But for an MMA context, it would seem to me that you might have more to offer in terms of what techniques you've encountered than just a wrestler, or just a judoka. There's not going to be too much that's too foreign.

So long as they believe the old russian anecdote "when the training is hard, the battle is easy" it should be a good road to stroll down.

My two cents.

May I point out that you forgot to mention these central Asian very old grappling arts from Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and all the Stans, as well as the ones from the Caucasus, i.e. Georgian, Armenian, Tchechen, etc.

An important part of Sambo is also these non-eastern and non-slavic styles mentionned... (One could argue that Ouzbekistan is the East, though, that's just a question of Semantics though).

Back