Judo or Wrestling???

showbizconnor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've justgot back from my first no gi tournament and its pretty clear to me that i need to work on my grappling while standing as on two occations i was taken down heavily and subsiqently lost through not being able to recover guard.

My question is this.....which standing art should i start to cross train???

bare in mind that i train exclusivly no gi and in the uk its a lot easier to find a good Judo club than it is a wrestling club ( we just don't wrestle over here :icon_sad:)

any feedback would be greatly appriciated...

If your using a Gi I would do Judo, No Gi I would use wrestling.

But why not both.

When it comes to upper body they use a lot of the same moves just wrestling is modified for no gi.

If all you can find is a judo club then so be it, but if you can find a place to wrestle then I'd strongly suggest it. Since there aren't much wrestlers over there, you might pick some skills and techniques that everyone else is lacking in.

You shouldn't ask us to evaluate styles, you should evaluate the individual clubs around you.

Even if there was something inherently better about wrestling, what if two blocks away there was a Judo club with national level or Ex-Olympic Judoka?

Obviously then, you should choose the best club around you. You should consider cost, how often they train, if training times fit with your schedule, location, size of people at the clubs (do the match your size), level the instructors have reached, etc. You will still need to train no-gi BJJ the most, if that is your goal, so find schools that train on different times.

edit.

Last edited:
Will Judo help no gi BJJ ?

Yes.

A lot of wrestling moves come from Judo and vice versa. THe US Olympic Heavyweight Steve Mocco lived off the footsweep his entire college career.

Will Judo help no gi BJJ ?

Yes, though not as much as wrestling will. But if you can't find a wrestling club, go for judo - even no gi, you'll learn a lot about takedowns and throws which are fairly easy to transform into no-gi variations ... if you watch Fedor (Russian national judo team for years before MMA), Yoshida, Nastula, Karo etc you'll notice they've been able to modify the throws for no-gi. In fact, the Soviets modified judo throws for wrestling and modified wrestling for judo, to the extent that they became the number 2 country in the world in judo and the number one in wrestling.

But you're still much better off finding a wrestling club (preferably one that does both freestyle and greco-roman) if your intention is to do no-gi BJJ.

If for only sport nogi grappling, I would say wrestling. Easy. No better mix for it than bjj/wrestling.

However, if you plan on going mma in the future, I would choose judo.

Theyre really similiar. But I always loved wrestling and I never really adapted well to the gi when I started judo. I to this day prefer more Greco Roman throws to that of Judo throws but thats just me. It also harder to start learning wrestling at an older age though so keep that in mind. Not like physically but finding a straight wrestling school

Theyre really similiar. But I always loved wrestling and I never really adapted well to the gi when I started judo. I to this day prefer more Greco Roman throws to that of Judo throws but thats just me. It also harder to start learning wrestling at an older age though so keep that in mind. Not like physically but finding a straight wrestling school

Nice av cardio.

Anyway, I think often if I ever did greco I might like it better considering the way I do judo throws in nogi but I couldnt picture pulling off the same stuff w/o the leg work. The thing is tho that for nogi grapping comp I cant see either doing so well as freestyle or folk.

Hey Guys,

I've justgot back from my first no gi tournament and its pretty clear to me that i need to work on my grappling while standing as on two occations i was taken down heavily and subsiqently lost through not being able to recover guard.

My question is this.....which standing art should i start to cross train???

bare in mind that i train exclusivly no gi and in the uk its a lot easier to find a good Judo club than it is a wrestling club ( we just don't wrestle over here :icon_sad:)

any feedback would be greatly appriciated...

i'd train in judo since it seems to be easier to find a judo club in england. the main thing you're going to have to work on is establishing your grips in the no gi game, and if you've got some extra cash i'd recommend buying karo's judo for mma dvd's. he covers establishing your grips without a gi, and also freeing your hands from tie ups to get your grips. also if you're interested in combining judo and bjj dave camarillo's position impossible dvd's. dave is amazing at combining judo and bjj and you'll pick up a few nice transitions from him.

I would say judo. Normally for no gi competition I would say wrestling, and for gi I would suggest judo. However (and forgive me if I'm generalizing), the quality of judo instruction coupled with the easy access probably outweighs the difficulty you'd have in finding a wrestling club and the fact that there probably wouldn't be any good wrestlers to work with in your part of the world.

So while judo isn't as applicable to no gi as freestyle wrestling, I would rather go with accessible quality judo instruction than hard-to-find mediocre wrestling. If you become good enough, you'll be able to translate your judo to no gi, and at the least you'll have better balance and takedown concepts than before.

Judo. Its all about the quality of the instruction you can get. You're only going to be able to utilize an art as well as the instruction you've received in said art. Training partners are very important too. You need people who can push you hard. Anyways judo baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back