Judo medallist Dirk Van Tichelt beaten up while celebrating bronze medal win

GalegoREB

He Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing
@Orange
Reaction score
"Dirk Van Tichelt probably didn’t envision one of the greatest days of his life ending in the hospital. But that’s exactly where the Belgian judoka found himself Monday night hours after winning his first-ever Olympic medal.

Van Tichelt won bronze in the 73-kg judo competition on Monday. Naturally, he went off to Copacabana Beach that night to celebrate the achievement. And that’s where things went awry.

Van Tichelt was reportedly assaulted by a thief on the famous beach, and was struck in the face. He was taken to the hospital after the incident.

The thief, who was reportedly Brazilian, came away with a cellphone, but, crucially, not with a bronze medal. That allowed Van Tichelt to take this epic picture the following day:"

CpcsnxhXYAEC2tI.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/judo-m...elebrating-on-copacabana-beach-234727753.html

Maybe he should have incorporated some Gracie combatives and that wouldn't of happened.. <cheer>

Not sure if that's really what happened. I'm from Rio and apparently he drank a little bit to much and argued with a worker of a big hotel in Copacabana.. Tried to take the guy down and he got punched on the face. At least that's what was reported on some brazilian newspapers.. He admitted he drank too much and refused to press charges.
But yeah, Copacabana can be pretty dangerous at night.

LOL what do you think is gonna happen to Kayla if she beats that Brazilian girl in the finals?

Not sure if that's really what happened. I'm from Rio and apparently he drank a little bit to much and argued with a worker of a big hotel in Copacabana.. Tried to take the guy down and he got punched on the face. At least that's what was reported on some brazilian newspapers.. He admitted he drank too much and refused to press charges.
But yeah, Copacabana can be pretty dangerous at night.

he got into a fight with some dude and got beat up, thats what Ive been reading...

He got suckered while chasing a guy through a thief through a crowd of people, likely while piss loaded drunk.

He got suckered while chasing a guy through a thief through a crowd of people, likely while piss loaded drunk.

that was the first report, another says he walked into an hotel chasing some girl that was supposed to have the cel phone and got into a fight with some dude stuff from the hotel, who beat him up.

Edit: here's one link...
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-judo-lose-fight-receptionist-dirk-van-tichelt-a7186426.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that an "epic" picture, but okay. It's interesting to read the different spins on what happened.

According to another article he starting fighting with a hotel receptionist who trains in BJJ..

A Belgian Olympic judoka has reportedly been arrested after losing a fight with a jujitsu trained hotel receptionist.

Dirk van Tichelt broke into the Best Western Hotel in Rio de Janeiro believing that a woman who had allegedly stolen his phone was hiding there.

The 32-year-old, who won bronze in the men’s 73kg competition on Monday, had seen the phone snatched while he was celebrating on Copacabana Beach just hours after his win.

Van Tichelt proceeded to chase after the suspect, which led him to the hotel.

An anonymous member of the hotel’s staff, in quotes picked up by the Daily Mail, said: “The woman tried to get into the hotel but the doors were locked. The athlete didn't catch the woman but wrongly thought that she had entered our hotel.

“But our doors were already locked so she couldn't have come in. Even so, he broke the lock on the door and burst in making a lot of noise and making a lot of accusations.

“He thought that the woman was staying in the hotel and demanded the receptionist should give him her room number so she could return the phone,” the hotel worked added.

“This was all totally untrue. Unfortunately, the Belgian athlete smelled of alcohol and looked very drunk.

“My colleague tried to get the man out of the hotel and this turned into a fight. They exchanged quite a few punches. As it happens the receptionist also practises jiu-jitsu so they were equally matched.”

Van Tichelt, who attended a press conference sporting a black eye the day after the incident, was reportedly arrested and taken to hospital to check up on his injuries.

“The athlete attempted to throw a punch at the employee and the employee retaliated,” police authorities confirmed.

When the incident initially came to light, Luc Rampaer, Belgium’s Olympic communications director, claimed that Van Tichelt had simply been hit by 'another person'

“The mobile phone of Dirk's training partner had just been stolen and he ran to try to catch the thief and ended up being hit in the face by another person,” he said.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/olym...ionist/ar-BBvxof6?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

That's kind of funny that an olympic athelete was on equal footing with a receptionist, drunk or not

If only he learned some Judo he could have defended himself. oh wait..

He need to practise more defensive striking when drunk.

Hilarious to see people hating on this guy, the chick who stole his phone was most likely in league with the hotel, it happens all the time over there, I lived there for two years in one of the better cities and I still heard of stories like this all the time.

Brazil is such a fucked up country you have to be on your guard at all times the second they see a drunk foreigner the first thing they think is how they're going to steal your shit from you. There's a lot of things I loved about Brazil but I will pull no punches when it comes to this shit, nation of fucking thieves, everywhere you go.

Just another world class Judoka who got touched with teh jab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back