Judo Leglocks???????????????

bayboy4life

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking about taking some Judo lessons to supplement my BJJ training. So I was surfing the net looking at Judo stuff when I cam along judoinfo.com. There was a section for techniques with sub section for leglocks. I know they are banned in tourneys but I was wondering if anyone who does Judo has ever really practiced these techniques at there dojo??
Here is the link.
http://http://judoinfo.com/leglocks.htm

I was thinking about taking some Judo lessons to supplement my BJJ training. So I was surfing the net looking at Judo stuff when I cam along judoinfo.com. There was a section for techniques with sub section for leglocks. I know they are banned in tourneys but I was wondering if anyone who does Judo has ever really practiced these techniques at there dojo??
Here is the link.
http://http://judoinfo.com/leglocks.htm

There's a few old timers who do them (mainly guys who came from the Kawashi system), but it's very rare. There are also sambo-judo guys (most Russians do both simultaneously) who sometimes practice them, but again, its rare.

There's a few old timers who do them (mainly guys who came from the Kawashi system), but it's very rare. There are also sambo-judo guys (most Russians do both simultaneously) who sometimes practice them, but again, its rare.

I was really shocked when I came across that info because the way people talk on here its like there is no such thing as a leglock in judo.

I was really shocked when I came across that info because the way people talk on here its like there is no such thing as a leglock in judo.

For all practical purposed there isn't, at least in 99% of the dojo's. And the clubs doing it are generally run by a seventy year old guy who teaches them because he always has - and the young guy who's going to take it over won't continue it, because he's gearing his club to win tournaments.

For all practical purposed there isn't, at least in 99% of the dojo's. And the clubs doing it are generally run by a seventy year old guy who teaches them because he always has - and the young guy who's going to take it over won't continue it, because he's gearing his club to win tournaments.

That sucks. That would be cool to learn

There's also strikes in Judo and small joint manipulation, but again that goes in the "Banned-from-Competition-so-we're-not-going-to-practice-it" category.

It depends on your sensei's mindset of teaching competition or traditional Judo.

There's also strikes in Judo and small joint manipulation, but again that goes in the "Banned-from-Competition-so-we're-not-going-to-practice-it" category.

It depends on your sensei's mindset of teaching competition or traditional Judo.

so there IS actually a Judo Chop? :icon_chee

It's funny, one of our more traditional instructors insists on doing non competition related stuff for character, self defense, etc. I asked him "so why don't you practice leglocks?"

--

Our Sambo coach however.. :_)

Haha, when I first switched from bjj to judo, I tried to put an ankle lock on a brown belt, He looks at me with bewilderment. "there are no leglocks in judo"

One of my first coaches was a world sambo silver medalist and had these crazy rolling/flying leg locks which he could do from any grip, but he only showed us them for fun, we never really tried other than a couple of tries messing around. Most judo places wont do them.

I'd say its rare too. I once had a guy in judo scream in pain when I foot locked him when he was on my back with his ankels crossed. And he wouldn't shut up about how it was an illegal move.

I'd say its rare too. I once had a guy in judo scream in pain when I foot locked him when he was on my back with his ankels crossed. And he wouldn't shut up about how it was an illegal move.

Well, it is. Its not something you want to spring on an unsuspecting training partner.

It falls on the student to either learn the rules before showing up to practice or ask the instructor early on, especially if you have prior training in another art.

I fully expect to be leglocked to death if/when I do BJJ.

I never thought about it, during Judo class we allow leg locks, they are just nor encouraged and hard to sink in the short period on the ground.

They know
better in tournaments, but as primarily a BJJ school, if put your feet out, your asking for it....

Back