Judo in No Gi - Getting/Forcing the Clinch

Carrera26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hoping to get some help from the wrestlers here.

I am a Judoka who, through the collapse of organised Judo in Gainesville FL, has moved on to BJJ. There is a great place just 2 minutes from my work with a big, flexible schedule that fits me perfectly, but is 90% no-gi.

I really enjoy no-gi, and have had the chance to practice a little wrestling. I really dig wrestling, but I am of course hoping to apply more of my 4 years of Judo experience. With my base and knowledge of angles alone I do quite well in applying and defending shots, especially with Sumi Gaehsi, which if you don't know is essentially jumping/dropping into a Butterfly sweep from the feet (excellent vs. a single!)

I've found that I can apply most of what I know from a wizzer, headlock, overhook, or underhook. However, with everyone knowing that I am the Judo guy, they all fight like crazy to avoid clinching with me.

How do you force the clinch vs a defensive/evasive opponent? I have found some luck with the arm drag, but again everyone just seem to be constantly evading and staying tight.

Options, videos, thoughts?

Thanks!

you no longer have to think about IJF no-leg grab or trunk hold rules.
Off the top of my head there are still leg grab techniques you can pull- morote gari double leg takedown for example.

Some disorganized tips:

Shoot for a single, come up into the underhook from there when he defends.

Arm drag arm drag arm drag.

More important to pressure forward and force contact because if he pulls away there is no gi to pull yourself along with him. Be aggressive, remember that drop Seoi isn't done much in no gi BJJ.

Work angles, pull down on his head and use his reaction to close the distance and clinch.

Mostly though just learn to handfight.

Be aggresive, cut corners and attack the legs. Also worry less about getting an ippon and more about dragging the fight to the ground in your terms.

hey dude i found many videos on youtube to relavent to your question so i think if you search it on youtube rather than google will better for you.

It's just a nogi grip fight.

Wrist control to a collar tie to overhook works well for me and i can throw from wrist + overhook.

Cut off their angles and do not let them circle out. Either they will back out of bounds repeatedly, of they will be forced to tie up or pull guard

Some disorganized tips:

Shoot for a single, come up into the underhook from there when he defends.

This is by far one of my favorites. My single leg is soley to set up this grip.

Shoot and then go up for a body lock / hook. It always works!

Cut off their angles and do not let them circle out. Either they will back out of bounds repeatedly, of they will be forced to tie up or pull guard

The knowledge bomb has been dropped.

Can't agree with this more.

The rules of judo no longer apply - thankfully, grab the single and be just as aggressive as your opponent.

just bait the leg with your shot d or arm drag to the outside to square them up short and cut in, otherwise you're outta luck. Judo's too defensive for gi let alone nogi..

Your step in could be ouchi or kouchi type as well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, will work on controlling the angles, upping the aggression, and work on transitioning from the shot to the clinch.

Back