Judo Gym - what to look for?

If you're training at an elite gym, chances are you already know breakfalls and thats why they don't teach them.

My thought is that if you know how to breakfall but don't want to give your opponent the win, its your choice to post or try twist out in midair. It'd have to be international comp for me to risk serious injury like that but to each his own.

people have been known to let their elbow get dislocated at a local naga tourney so...

people have been known to let their elbow get dislocated at a local naga tourney so...

Like I said, to each their own. I got to go to work the Monday after a tourney so I can feed my family. If winning in Judo was what payed my bills, might be a different story.

My primary goal in learning judo at this moment is to

1. enhance my bjj - that is by working tachi waza(thorwing), I am not interested in judo ne waza as bjj is my goal. I am a purple in bjj.

2. learn and interest my 4yo in judo - I plan on building his base in judo and wrestling. Bjj will be very minimal to build good habits. He has an interest, but
I am going slow.

My thoughts on looking for gyms -
1. gyms that burn a lot of reps in on a few throws taking advantage of deliberate practice
2. lots of tachi waza randori - or isolated sparring - this is what I need
3. friendly atmosphere with minimal clique behavior and politics
4. cheap is not really an issue as most judo gyms here are about 5-10 U$D a month
5. a sensei and gym that understands my goals are for bjj / but giving them the benefit of another body who could learn to be a good training partner
6. gym personalities that fit me
7. peers that look out for my interest, helpful vs competitive
8. I know about 3-4 assistant instructors from some of the gyms, some more than others so I will use that as a springboard for entry and 2 of them know my interest

Is it lame if I were to wear tights with pads in the shoulders and hip? I'm 36 and not as resiliant as 20 years ago.

if you do judo, your footwork get's amazing. It has done wonders for my bullfighter pass and other passes that take alot of nifty footwork. Judo is great for jiu jitsu.

Went to a judo seminar last night, amazing.
2 olympic medalist there - 08gold. 88silver.
I got a lot to learn.

Talked to a local coach and was invited to his gym. Going to check it out to see if it fits - needs, students, time.
At that gym it would be working judo in 1x week. I know that's not a lot, in relation but the class is only 2x week and I am only going to be able to make 1 with the scheduling.
If not there are other options. I was also invited to another gym for supplemental judo/wrestling work. This was proposed to me as supplemental material.

I usually do jits 3 nights and 3-4 days. Thinking to drop one or two of the nights
of jits for 1-2x judo as I have dimished returns on bjj, as opposed to judo. Not sure if my body could handle 3 nights a week of judo, it looks pretty rough being thrown all night.

^ the seminar last night was by 2 european elite players so the approach to judo was a slightly different flavor.

Back