Judo Grading Fights

FlameBoy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As you maybe aware - I took my first Judo Grading recently and as luck would have it my brother has uploaded the fights from his phone!!

So in order to get more judo on here to keep the "No Judo Sub Forum Clique" happy and in a bid to get some comments from the "We want a Judo Sub Forum section" heres 2 of the 3 fights of the day -

1st Fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j65QvSGuexc
2nd Fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCH_QICXILk

Ill link to the 3rd when I get it up - ooh er mrs!!

I was awarded my green belt on the day

Haha, Disrespect the legs!

Nice one, I am sure he felt his arm after that one.

Was this at the Budokwai?

No - Dartford Judo Club

Disrespect the Legs - You got it baby! Its nice when people recognise your work!!

Dont really want to sound too critical here but you got lucky in the first fight in the sense that the referee should have called toketa (hold broken) when your oponent got that far out of the competition area (his whole body + one of your legs). On the other hand you resisted the temptation to just go straight for a fake tomoenage and sub everyone.
A well deserved greenbelt in any case! Sadly there wont be many more of these gradings after the bja starts giving away all coloured belts.

The jugi gatame in the second vid was very slick. Congrats on the green.

Dont really want to sound too critical here but you got lucky in the first fight in the sense that the referee should have called toketa (hold broken) when your oponent got that far out of the competition area (his whole body + one of your legs).
No - the ref was right. As long as one portion of the body remains in contact with the competition area - even a toe! - then the play continues.

With contact I mean touching, so if they bridge and your leg lifts off the mat (ie no contact) then it is matte (not toketa).

All in all, 2 solid wins. The sumi-gaeshi was nice.

If I may, some comments:

1. You can improve by being more aggressive and attacking earlier, rather than waiting.
2. You made a good kouchi-gari attack in the second fight. Do more of this next time! Keep moving around and sweeping at the feet with kouchi's and deashi's.
3. Commit more when you do decide to go for a tech. Balls to the wall, baby - if you try for a drop-seoi really turn all the way through and DRIVE forward and KEEP driving.

I can see your BJJ and Judo starting to work together well, you're not just "BJJ'ing" your way through (ie; singles & fake falling-down techs to get to the ground). But .... lose the patched gi, you give away your advantage!! :icon_chee (not that it made a difference in this case - but competition will get tougher)

Well done and congrats on the green!!

Nice Jugi Gatame. However it did seem weid that your teammates where going hard on you during grading. Maybe it's just where I'm from but when being graded they try to make me look good.

Nice Jugi Gatame. However it did seem weid that your teammates where going hard on you during grading. Maybe it's just where I'm from but when being graded they try to make me look good.
That's a different sort of grading.

This is a compeitive grading.

And I think the last one of this kind at Dartford - When was this Flameboy?

This sort of grading is a competition grading ie; batsugan.

A bunch of people who want to get graded show up for a competition. So you will be fighting a bunch of other orange belts and you need to win "X" number of fights to get your green. If you don't get the required wins - you don't pass. So everyone is fighting their best to win - they are not all from your own club.

That's what I am assuming these matches are about.

the referee should have called toketa (hold broken) when your oponent got that far out of the competition area (his whole body + one of your legs).

I was thinking that too and then I realized that those are wrestling rules. I always get the two confused!

Good matches. I just always find it funny when someone seems like an average player, then BOOM! Match hits the ground and they're now way outta your league. I guess the patch shoulda been the giveaway.

If I may, some comments:

1. You can improve by being more aggressive and attacking earlier, rather than waiting.
2. You made a good kouchi-gari attack in the second fight. Do more of this next time! Keep moving around and sweeping at the feet with kouchi's and deashi's.
3. Commit more when you do decide to go for a tech. Balls to the wall, baby - if you try for a drop-seoi really turn all the way through and DRIVE forward and KEEP driving.

Exactly what I was after - thank you very much for your considered opinions! worth putting them up for critique after all!!

"Balls to the wall, baby!" yep Ive heard this - Im just struggling to put it into practice!!

I think the hunched over stance limits the techniques you can do tbh

you seem explosive and better at grip fighting then peopel at your level so trust that

I think the hunched over stance limits the techniques you can do tbh

Can I use this to make space under them and then turn into them for a throw? I think thats what Im trying to do - but its abit telegraphed - sorry

Back