Judo Gi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by MadMardegan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MadMardegan

MadMardegan White Belt

So my girlfriend wants to buy me a new judo gi for Xmas (I realise it's 2013 but she was away for the holidays) and I'm kinda torn between a few. At the moment I train in a Koral MKM (got it cheaper than a classic so had to jump on the deal) but it's a little too big (A4)

The ones I'm thinking of at the moment are:

Mizuno Shiai - Blue
    Essimo Ippon - Blue
    Fighting Films Master Gi - Blue

Any other brand that you would recommend? I'm in Ireland by the way so I'm not exactly spoiled for choice.

Also, I'm a bigger guy so that's something to consider when choosing between them. I'm 6'2, 250lbs with a 38" waist. I've no where to try these on before buying, would just be ordering straight from a website.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying a white over a blue, or vice versa?

Thanks for any help guys.

2. Afflictionz

Afflictionz White Belt

I hear Fuji have some good products, I use Adidas myself and I'm of near the same height.

You should ask your instructor. Mizuno are fantastic though.

3. deevlash

deevlash Judoka

Toraki are amazing value and bloody awesome, practically my whole club wears them now. Ive got an Adidas top of the range thing whatever its called one too and its not the same quality.

4. Bojovnik Slav

Bojovnik Slav Green Belt

Which model Toraki?

5. deevlash

deevlash Judoka

whatever the top of the range off the peg one is, they make them to measure for not much more too. Gold I think it was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. deevlash

deevlash Judoka

7. Afflictionz

Afflictionz White Belt

Why do you have your name on the back?

8. deevlash

deevlash Judoka

Ego. plus I used to be in my national squad a while back before work, getting old and not being good enough got in the way. I also find that refs at ranking events let you work on the deck for longer if you have your name on the back which is absurd but there you go.

9. Afflictionz

Afflictionz White Belt

Well you represented your country in some capacity, which is admirable. I'd say it's earn't I've see people at my club who haven't even represented area/district with the name on the back.

10. deevlash

deevlash Judoka

That seems a bit daft, its basically a target on your back so you better be able to back it up, I like that as you usually get a better practice when you train at different clubs as the folk go all out to batter you, which is more fun :D

11. Bjjsam

Bjjsam White Belt

+1 for Toraki. Also try Fushida or Dax Moskito.

12. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

If you're a bigger gent, I'd suggest the Mizuno Yusho or Yusho II over the Shiai. The Shiai is cut slimmer in the body than the Yusho series; on top of that, the Yusho series are also IJF certified if it matters (the Shiai is only compliant, but not certified). Good luck!

P.S. I wish I could get a hold of Essimo's here in the States. I've heard nothing but good things about them from the UK folks I've trained with. :)