Judo gi vs BJJ gi- difference?

Resident A-hole

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I searched & didn't find any info on this. Can somebody explain the differences between a Judo gi & a BJJ gi? Are they interchangeable?

From what I can see in the photos, they look the same except the Brazilain flag and/or patches on the BJJ ones. I assume both are about the same strength.

I train judo now, but will start BJJ soon. I've only seen judo gis up to this point.

BJJ gis are a less "generous" cut, both to cut back on all the slack and to show off our sexy chest muscles.

You'll notice if you do competitions, sometimes BJJ guys show up. Occasionally, they won't be allowed ot compete, because their sleeves and the bottom of their kimonos do not meet minimum measurements regulated by Judo. Basically, the Judo gi is looser and larger.

The Judo gi is looser and easier to grap. So when you compete, you have to have a good defense because your opponent will likely get the grips he wants.

The Jiu Jitsu gi is a much more trimmed fit to make it more difficult to grab.

Because I had some Judo experience, I started BJJ with a Judo gi. It certainly helped me with my defense and the BJJ guys loved choking me with all that extra fabric. But, eventually, I bought a BJJ gi. I am not sure if this is due to the nature of the sport, but my BJJ gi's seem to last longer than my Judo ones.

I have yet to see a BJJ tournament that will not allow Judo gi's, but I have seen Judo tournaments that ban BJJ gi's.

Is there alot of customization for Judo Gis? I have lots of friends who do Judo and they jsut wear plain white Gis, whereas my Gi is decked out in patches. Well not covered, but I do have quite a few.

I think it's harder to grip a Judo gi in BJJ. The Judo gi's feel like they are made of weaker fabric and the fact it's loose doesn't help you maintain a firm and steady grip. And the pants are worse because it feels like it will rip once you grab.

gracie_barra said:
Is there alot of customization for Judo Gis? I have lots of friends who do Judo and they jsut wear plain white Gis, whereas my Gi is decked out in patches. Well not covered, but I do have quite a few.
Generally - not always, but generally - Judoka stray away from patches. When I did Judo, they wouldn't allow me to use my white gold weave Atama mundial gi, because it had a big 'Marcus Soares Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Competition Team' patched on the back of it. So I'd wear my single weave Atama blue gi instead.

They tend to not allow school patches on the gi. Plain white is popular.

Hey you learnt under Soares?? How was he? I hear hes the best for the Gi game. Thinking of doing drop ins on his Sunday classes for 20 bucks a pop.

gracie_barra said:
Hey you learnt under Soares?? How was he? I hear hes the best for the Gi game. Thinking of doing drop ins on his Sunday classes for 20 bucks a pop.
I actually train under one of his purple belts out in Kelowna, but we've taken some road trips down there and done his classes. Very, very good instructor. You learn something every time he opens his mouth.

This weekend, actually, we're heading out there - friday night - for the Western Canadian Martial Arts Challenge, which is on Saturday at the BCIT building in Burnaby. We'll be at Master Soares' Sunday class.

If you want to drop by Sunday, the Kelowna team and myself will be there.

gracie_barra said:

In general, the judo comp gi regs are fairly strict, so it's rare to see patches on someone's competition gi. Classes, usually, are much more lax. I had a black gi from my old mixed school, and no one said anything. The most patches I ever wore in competition were on my Adidas gi, which has strips on the shoulders and a patch low on the leg (about the size of a matchbox).

In BJJ, patches are like tattoos for no gi... They generate a forcefield that projects you from broken glass and lava. NOW YOU KNOW!!

I still wear my Judo gi for BJJ, because I caught my other gi on something, and the small hole opened into a short tear, then became a huge whole over numerous wearings/washings. I should have sewn/patched it when it happened.

Commissar said:
I actually train under one of his purple belts out in Kelowna, but we've taken some road trips down there and done his classes. Very, very good instructor. You learn something every time he opens his mouth.

This weekend, actually, we're heading out there - friday night - for the Western Canadian Martial Arts Challenge, which is on Saturday at the BCIT building in Burnaby. We'll be at Master Soares' Sunday class.

If you want to drop by Sunday, the Kelowna team and myself will be there.

Nice. Im going to that Comp. I am not competeting though, jsut gonna see- I would get trashed any how. I wish you guys the best of luck there. Maybe I'll see you guys this Sunday.

i train jiu jitsu but i use a judo gi...i have no problems

its not a problem exactly, but realize you are giving up a little edge to the competition...not a big deal when you're rolling in class of course, but i compete in the smallest gi i have. i want that thing to fit like a wetsuit.

gracie_barra said:
Nice. Im going to that Comp. I am not competeting though, jsut gonna see- I would get trashed any how. I wish you guys the best of luck there. Maybe I'll see you guys this Sunday.
Nice. If you go to Marcus' class, introduce yourself. My name's Shane - I'll likely be wearing a blue single weave at Marcus' class, and a white gold weave with his team symbol on the back competing.

Hope to see ya.

Back