Juan Francisco Estrada vs Carlos Cuadras Oct.23rd DAZN

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/three-f...n-dazn-works-jacobs-haney-chocolatito--151740

The main event is supposed to be junior bantamweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada (40-3, 27 KOs) defending his title against former world titlist and Mexican countryman Carlos Cuadras (39-3-1, 27 KOs). The fight is a rematch of Estrada’s razor-close unanimous decision – 114-113 on all three scorecards – over Cuadras in a 2017 title elimination fight.

The co-feature is due to see junior bantamweight world titlist Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (49-2, 41 KOs), the legendary four-division champion from Nicaragua, defend the 115-pound title took from Kal Yafai in January against an opponent to be determined.

If Estrada and Gonzalez both win, Hearn has said he plans to match them in early 2021 in a rematch of Gonzalez’s action-packed decision win over Estrada in a 2012 junior flyweight title defense.

A third fight on the card would see flyweight world titlist Julio Cesar Martinez (16-1, 12 KOs), of Mexico, making his second defense against an opponent to be named. Martinez was supposed to headline the card in Tulsa, but he withdrew due to a non-coronavirus illness.

I'm still skeptical about the interest of building up a rematch between Estrada and Chocolatito. That being said the card is interesting. Let's see who Gonzalez gets to fight.

I'm still skeptical about the interest of building up a rematch between Estrada and Chocolatito. That being said the card is interesting. Let's see who Gonzalez gets to fight.
You're crazy, he beat Yafai. I don't care if Yafai chose to fight different than usual, he still beat him fair and square.
Estrada has expressed how much he wants to avenge the loss. He'd be a fool if he changed his mind as nobody likes stains on their record.
regardless, I have never seen a boxing fan reject the oppurtunity to see a title unification fight between orgs, we barely get to see those these days cause of the sports ever-complicating politics.

You're crazy, he beat Yafai. I don't care if Yafai chose to fight different than usual, he still beat him fair and square.
Estrada has expressed how much he wants to avenge the loss. He'd be a fool if he changed his mind as nobody likes stains on their record.
regardless, I have never seen a boxing fan reject the oppurtunity to see a title unification fight between orgs, we barely get to see those these days cause of the sports ever-complicating politics.

Yafai's boxing IQ is so low it's pretty fucking hilarious, while Chocolatito is still both old and undersized at 115. I love unification bouts the way I love any boxing fight : when they're promising on paper. I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Peak Estrada is too much for over the hill Gonzalez IMO, even if I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Yafai's boxing IQ is so low it's pretty fucking hilarious, while Chocolatito is still both old and undersized at 115. I love unification bouts the way I love any boxing fight : when they're promising on paper. I'm a bit skeptical about this one. Peak Estrada is too much for over the hill Gonzalez IMO, even if I'd love to be proven wrong.
You mean to tell me that beating The 6 time defending 26-0-0 WBA super world champion doesnt give him an opportunity to fight a dude he beat up on his weigh to the top? Come on now.

Your literally in a thread announcing him fighting another guy Choclatito beat in this weight class, who i’d bet he beats again.

nobody wants this fight more than Estrada as he’s been crying for it for 2 years.

lets not pretend title holders fight the number 1 or 2 ranked fighter every year(we’d be so lucky). I rather they settle it now or never.

You mean to tell me that beating The 6 time defending 26-0-0 WBA super world champion doesnt give him an opportunity to fight a dude he beat up on his weigh to the top? Come on now.

Your literally in a thread announcing him fighting another guy Choclatito beat in this weight class, who i’d bet he beats again.

nobody wants this fight more than Estrada as he’s been crying for it for 2 years.

lets not pretend title holders fight the number 1 or 2 ranked fighter every year(we’d be so lucky). I rather they settle it now or never.
Yafai was clearly the weakest of the 115 titlists. I don't think he's a bad fighter, but he's not what I'd call elite and he seemed to be avoiding Moloney, who isn't exactly Roberto Duran.

If you read carefully what I am saying I do not happen to deny this fight's being legit rankingwise. Nor do I deny both fighters' wanting it to be done : as you pointed out Estrada wants a rematch and Gonzalez likely wants as big a paycheck as he can get before he retires for good.

What I did happen to remind you of is rather simple :
- Yafai isn't remotely close to prime Estrada - at least it is very true at boxing
- 2021 Chocolatito won't be 2012 Chocolatito - their first fight happened 8 years ago, he'll be 33 until June and people don't age all that well at these weights
- Gonzalez is actually a small 115 pounder ; it was fairly obvious when he fought SSR
- At the same time, Estrada looks pretty good at this weight : he's got the frame he needs

The bottom line is that this fight isn't as close - hence interesting - as one would think it would be without having all of this in mind.

Regarding Estrada vs Cuadras you may want to add that Estrada hasn't been boxing for more than a year, hence a fight against a guy he beat via a razor close decision isn't bad at all to shake the ring rust off. That was my point.

I said it before : if Gonzalez vs Estrada II happens I'll certainly be rooting for Chocolatito. I just don't think he can beat Estrada in 2021.

It's no rocket science, really.

Last edited:
Has Cuadras really done much to get another shot at Estrada?

I mean he can take another L that's fine with me

That first fight vs Gallo was good and the crazy decision error at the end made it memorable. (Was it that fight?) but didn’t cuadras start to suck after that? Weird that he gets another shot. Imma head to boxrec maybe I missed some of his fights after that. Always liked him though

Imagine if Roman did upset 2021 Gallo! But Estrada is my favorite right now outside Canelo, I like his approach to the game and Cuardras 1 was the fight that got me wise to him, so a rematch? Yes, I'll take it! But, I have to agree with @Hagler, if Roman is being aimed towards a big fight with Estrasa, I dont see it boding well for him. Then again, Estrada and SSR fight entirely differently, but to my knowledge Estrada lost very close fight last time. So a prime Estrada vs what seemed to be a shot Martinez yrs ago making a small resurgence doesn't feel like a big or desirable fight considering who Estrada took out to get where he is, but they can't all be the greatest opponent of all time, still seems lame to avenge a loss like that. Always bugged me. Like Bhop avenging again Roy. Like it even mattered. This should have happened a long time ago.

Time to bump this thread for Friday night to clear all the salt that's been flooding on the front page of this subforum. <Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

Hoping Estrada beats the brakes off of Cuadras this time around.

Time to bump this thread for Friday night to clear all the salt that's been flooding on the front page of this subforum. <Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

Hoping Estrada beats the brakes off of Cuadras this time around.
Lol!!!!!!!!!!

Back