Ju-jistu still evolving

minimagpro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The thing that makes me so attracted to ju-jistu is that its a young form of martial arts and is still evolving. people are coming up with new techniques all the time and new ways of doing old ones.

There have been fads in ju-jistu, like about a year or 2 ago rubber guard was the big thing. Now everywhere i go, people are using x-guard. I love this art because you can develop your own game, everyone's fighting style is different. THis is why I think that the TMA people dont like bjj so much is because their arts are just written on paper, bjj is still evolving.

Probably here as soon as the budo challenge, the mundials, and everything else comes out on dvd, the fad will change and everybody will start playing another game.

I have noticed that gi-chokes have kind of faded off as a not so popular sub but someone who is really good will come through a tourney, tap everyone with his gi chokes, and then they will become popular again.

no point to thread, just a statement

Mad props to joe stevenson for pulling x-guard in mma

minimagpro said:

Yeah! I was screaming like a mad man when I saw him do that. I was yelling stupid stuff at the TV like: "Come on Joe, educate him with your x-guard! Educate his ass!"

minimagpro said:
The thing that makes me so attracted to ju-jistu is that its a young form of martial arts and is still evolving. people are coming up with new techniques all the time and new ways of doing old ones.

There have been fads in ju-jistu, like about a year or 2 ago rubber guard was the big thing. Now everywhere i go, people are using x-guard. I love this art because you can develop your own game, everyone's fighting style is different. THis is why I think that the TMA people dont like bjj so much is because their arts are just written on paper, bjj is still evolving.

Probably here as soon as the budo challenge, the mundials, and everything else comes out on dvd, the fad will change and everybody will start playing another game.

I have noticed that gi-chokes have kind of faded off as a not so popular sub but someone who is really good will come through a tourney, tap everyone with his gi chokes, and then they will become popular again.

no point to thread, just a statement

every type of fighting art is ever evolving.

the easiest to watch is boxing. The fighting styles seem to rotate. jack johnson fought like people do now.
But for a while the jack dempsey style was the big thing. Up until Ali everyone fought like Dempsey. There were a few dancers, but for the most part, they would trade while going straight. Dancing was big, stick and move stick and move. Then Tyson comes in and ruff things up a bit.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Yeah! I was screaming like a mad man when I saw him do that. I was yelling stupid stuff at the TV like: "Come on Joe, educate him with your x-guard! Educate his ass!"

I was watching it with all the guys at our academy and when i did it we all went crazy. i wanted to see him sweep him to kneebar so bad but just the fact the he pull the x is awesome

There are always "styles" within styles IMO.

people like to say "well they had grappling, everythign has been done before" but it's not really true. BJJ like everything evolves and improves. The judo you see today is not the judo that was used say 20~30 years ago.. the wrestling you see today is not the same 20~30 years ago. They might look the same on the surface but they have evolved. If it does not evolve it's dead.

As soon as a style, system or art stops changing, it is literally dead in the water. TKD comes to mind, but that is just my humble opinion.

I love seeing stuff like that... people working more technical BJJ into MMA nowadays.

I marked out for Shogun pulling De La Riva on Overeem. He threaded the legs, got to the side,a nd held one wrist... It basically completely shut down Overeem's offense for a moment, and that's all he needed.

i dont know where you train but gi chokes are always in my lineup ill introduce it to everyone, and rubber guard?? its got its place like if someone is playing tight guard pass aka STALLING.. but you are absolutely right jiu jitsu evolves so fast that its rare to see consecutive champs now.. and even the older champs cant compete with the JACAREs and Leozinhos.. coming up in like 5 years its gonna be even crazier with the upcoming gringos.. look for me in the 2008 mundials.. faixa-preta champ

TapouTime said:
coming up in like 5 years its gonna be even crazier with the upcoming gringos.. look for me in the 2008 mundials.. faixa-preta champ

Whoa! I'll believe when I see it. Remember to come here and tell us how it went. I really doubt you will pull that one off.

Hey, what was the fight Joe pulled the x-guard and did he sweep the guy?

I think that is what differentiates good evolving grappling arts (aka bjj, submission) from the rest.
When a guy from judo, wrestling or other trains with us and pulls a good move we i don't let him exit without explaining me what was that.

Sometimes I train with other arts and all they say is that was a illegal move, cant do that, do use strength (even if i don't, i use leverage) etc.

Back