Josh Gross: Safe to say the last 22 years in MMA were as dirty as anything could be.

Gross is an asshat, but he's right. Do you honestly think some of the monsters that have come up through MMA over the years were just freaks of nature?

Oh he's wholly right, but he's acting like it hasn't been sports in general. That's the annoying part. He's coming off real salty and looking for attention again. Someone must have told him he wasn't getting enough movement on his stories lately.

I think he's most probably right, but I don't care. If anything, it sucks how many fighters get injured and pull out of fights nowadays.

Guess it's not fair for the clean athlete if the tests suck so bad that lots of people do steroids, but for my own selfish reason I've enjoyed MMA so far.

Josh Gross has always been a B level journalist at best. Who even acknowledges this guy? The whiner always complains about MMA yet he covers it.

I don't really understand UFC's incentive for wanting stricter testing. The only thing it's going to do is make fights less interesting and fighter being injured more often and performing worse.

Thing is, he was probably on stuff his whole career. He just got caught right near the end and would have gotten away with it if he retired after the Weidman massacres like he should have.

Gross is an asshat, but he's right. Do you honestly think some of the monsters that have come up through MMA over the years were just freaks of nature?

Asshat!? Me and my friends call people asshats all the time and it throws people off! I never hear that shit, especially not on sherdog. WHO ARE YOU!?

As others have said, it's not mma is the only one in wrong on this subject. The Olympics, NFL, MLB, cycling, they're all just as guilty. Hell, PED's are so common in the NFL a violation only gets you a handful of games suspension and then you're back on the field for fuck's sake. The UFC has one of the most aggressive stances on PED's now, why are they being held to a different standard than the other leagues? 2 year ban, 4 year ban? Who else has anything close?

I can't respect or look up to a single cheater. You can't even call it sports when people do PEDs (or act otherwise in a non-sportsman type of way). I still watch MMA but can't get behind anybody. Never watched another sport partly cuz of the same reason

i'm sure the guy is right about how murky the playing field has been in this sport while the rules against doping were easy to maneuver around for the most part. However I disagree with the Anderson Silva thing, the guy has never looked like he was on Horse meat and I truly believe he messed up by taking some crap to help heal his knee. He succumb to the idea that if he didn't fast track his recovery his career was already over and he caved.

Am I some expert with inside info on the matter? no of course not, but I do believe Silva dopped this time only for the sake of healing a devastating injury late in his career. I don't think this tarnishes a damn thing for me about the destruction he caused in this sport until he fought Weidman.

Gross hates MMA. He does nothing but complain. It's pathetic. Can he not find employment elsewhere? I'm guessing the answer is no.

I don't really understand UFC's incentive for wanting stricter testing. The only thing it's going to do is make fights less interesting and fighter being injured more often and performing worse.
No.

The bolded is true, but only for the cheaters.

If he wrote a serious, detailed article arguing his point, there might be something to talk about. Any random dolt can react to a PED incident by running to his computer and making a quip on Twitter. 'MMA journalism' ... What a joke.

A guy who has been REALLY salt lately.

Yeah I can't remember the last time the guy has said anything positive about anything whatsoever. He always has seemed to be a miserable person.

Guys used PEDs, but saying it was "dirty" is a values judgement. MMA started with guys who wanted to prove they were the best martial artist and the baddest dude, and they didn't care if the guys they were fighting were using anabolics, they just did what they needed to do. Idealists want sports to be pure, but it isn't going to happen.

I hate cheaters probably more than anyone in the HW's but did Dana fuck Gross's mother or something?

All this dickhead does is hate on MMA.
Shit will never grow with journalists and fans shitting on the product they profess to love.

If he wrote a serious, detailed article arguing his point, there might be something to talk about. Any random dolt can react to a PED incident by running to his computer and making a quip on Twitter. 'MMA journalism' ... What a joke.

He wrote this in 2007:

Dear Dana,

We have a problem.

Not sure if you recall, but I broached the subject of steroids with you way back when, well before we faced the reality that mixed martial artists are the Robert Downey Jr.'s of the sporting world.

You said drug testing of any kind wasn't your responsibility; it was up to the state regulators.

OK, well, that's fine I guess, as long as you're diligent in promoting your product in locales that independently test for both so-called performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse. But then again, it's not really good enough, is it? There is a lot more MMA out there than what's being promoted by Zuffa, right?

Either way, you went to Texas several months ago and it turned out they don't test. Neither does any regulatory body in the UK, which you've gone to twice and are returning again in September.

(Oops, the UFC tested guys in Belfast. What were those results? Don't quite remember seeing

Sad little MMA fans in this thread, the sport is/was/will continue to be a very dirty sport with lots of PED use. It's just a fact, how many fighters/reporters/guys who know the people in the sport 100X more then us have to say so before people believe it?

Back