Jose Aldo is only 28 years old, why do people act like he's over-the-hill?

Unicorn Princes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm genuinely baffled by this. I understand that fighting is hard on the body, but the guy is basically the same age as Jon Jones and smaller people tend to age better than larger people, so where is the logic in this?

Also, he's basically 2 years older than Conor McGregor (which is funny because Conor describes Jose Aldo as being Randy Couture's age).

Injuries. The weight-cut. WEC Aldo v. UFC Aldo.

There's not much logic to it really, it's just people finding things to criticize. Don't take them too seriously until he actually starts losing.

No longer decimating the competition plus the wear & tear on the champ's body

He may be young in age, but he's old in the game.

Aldo and Jones are around the same age, but Aldo has almost a 5 year experience gap over him. How long you've been fighting matters more than your age.

He has been fighting for over ten years so he is a lot closer to the end despite only being 28. He doesn't look over the hill to me yet though.

injures mainly .
just look at shogun he's not old but he's a shadow of his former self .
I'm still a big aldo fan can't wait till he knocks Conor's grad clean off .

No longer decimating the competition plus the wear & tear on the champ's body

But when you consistently fight the best in the world isn't that normal? I mean look at GSP's last several fights. I don't think GSP got worse, I think the competition is just catching up.

He isnt quite over the hill yet but hes been gradually getting their. He gets injured a ton, hasnt improved much, and is nowhere near as dynamic as when he was younger and in the wec.

Nope, small fighters age worse because the first thing you lose is speed and speed is so important at small weights. That why all top guys in Heavyweight are in 30s because speed is least important and experience reigns.

Who is talkin like Aldo is over the hill?

Yeah, he hasn't been takin many chances since becoming the UFC featherweight champion. Still, when a fighter comes along that can push him (Mendes), he pushes back harder.

He isnt quite over the hill yet but hes been gradually getting their. He gets injured a ton, hasnt improved much, and is nowhere near as dynamic as when he was younger and in the wec.
That's probably because there's more on the line though. Anderson Silva said something to the effect of not being able to fight as exciting anymore because there was too much at risk (this was before he lost to Weidman).

I would guess they are speaking more to the miles he has accumulated on his body from years of fighting. Also he has been dominant for so long it seems like he has been around for longer than he actually has.

What I find stranger is the lack of talk about this guy. He's amongst the top ever, the Anderson Silvas, GSPs and Jon Jones...but he just doesn't get the respect he should.

Maybe his lack of talking in the media and people's lesser interest in the smaller weightclasses make them take his wins for granted. People will build up his fights, but when he wins it seems like everybody just isn't that interested anymore.

Smaller people absolutely do not age better when it comes to pro sports.

Heavyweight has always been an old man's game in MMA, boxing and wrestling.

Strength and size peaks for adult males in their mid 30s. Reflexes, speed, agility, stamina... not so much

He fights like he is over the hill. Simple, really.

It's not the age, it's the mileage.

Honestly thinking he should move up to 155 soon, the weight cut is getting more difficult each time for Aldo.

Injuries. The weight-cut. WEC Aldo v. UFC Aldo.

There's not much logic to it really, it's just people finding things to criticize. Don't take them too seriously until he actually starts losing.

He needs to move up to 155 if he wants longevity in this sport. Even though it's only 10lbs, the weight cut is starting to take it out of him.

Aldo, a battle worn 28, Cormier a fresh 35. Get it. Look how many MMA fighters are shot to bits by their early 30s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back