Jose Aldo duck under

joshmaikar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys...
Could someone help me to breakdown The pivoting Aldo does on his left foot, as he ducks under? Everytime I try to drill It, feels like something is missing.
It's The same move he did against Edgar and Mendes on The second fight, he also knocked him down.
But watching the replay, in certain angles, It seems like Aldo ends up throwing a rear left hook on southpaw...

Hopefully you can help me. Nice day sherbros.

you must be talking about Aldo's check hook.

aldo-delayed-check-hook-comp-2.gif

It requires you understand pivoting, slipping, lead hook, and knowing about the centerline (not sure which of these you're not familiar with atm).

Aldo combines the pivoting + slipping, and the lead hook all together to land the shot. Each piece of the sequence have a specific purpose.

have a partner move in to strike and just practice slipping then pivoting off to get the feel of the defensive purpose. once you get that down, you can combine the lead hook. If you can land it naturally in sparring, it should be a good indication you have it down.

Which part feels awkward? It might be easier to narrow down the issue.

you must be talking about Aldo's check hook.

aldo-delayed-check-hook-comp-2.gif

It requires you understand pivoting, slipping, lead hook, and knowing about the centerline (not sure which of these you're not familiar with atm).

Aldo combines the pivoting + slipping, and the lead hook all together to land the shot. Each piece of the sequence have a specific purpose.

have a partner move in to strike and just practice slipping then pivoting off to get the feel of the defensive purpose. once you get that down, you can combine the lead hook. If you can land it naturally in sparring, it should be a good indication you have it down.

Which part feels awkward? It might be easier to narrow down the issue.
Thanks brother :D It helped me a lot. The only thing I'm not familiar is how can I drill my slips better :/ sometimes I slip At the wrong side in some punches, but It helped me a lot how you broke down that chek hook! I Will be drilling It!

There's no wrong side to slip to, it sounds like your problem is you're not moving your feet.

I imagine you're talking MMA which is a little different from boxing in that you're most likely in a more open stance, this is also assuming you're a righty:

When you slip left you're supposed to take a 45-90 degree step left with your left foot which gives you the angle on the hook and/or pivot (look at Aldo's lead foot in that GIF).

Same with your right foot when slipping right except you're gonna shuffle step to get your foot positioning back.

If you don't move your feet while slipping you're still gonna be there to be hit and momentarily off balance, whereas if you move your feet you have your balance, you're out of the way and have angles to attack from.

This video shows the gist of the shuffle step:

I'll try to add something mechanically on the footwork.

When he sets up the movement by stepping out with the lead leg, he drops his center of gravity to stay balanced. That's where the duck/slip is. You can simply drop straight down when practicing how to get the mechanics right. Aldo ducks and moves his head off the center but it's the basic premise of lowering your center of gravity that helps the movement.

Then he uses the rear leg to power the pivot and the hook. Hopefully that helps when combined with the posts above mine.

The movement becomes much more fluid when you remember the 3 steps of: 1) Lead leg steps out; 2) Drop center of gravity; 3) Rear leg powers the pivot.

I'll try to add something mechanically on the footwork.

When he sets up the movement by stepping out with the lead leg, he drops his center of gravity to stay balanced. That's where the duck/slip is. You can simply drop straight down when practicing how to get the mechanics right. Aldo ducks and moves his head off the center but it's the basic premise of lowering your center of gravity that helps the movement.

Then he uses the rear leg to power the pivot and the hook. Hopefully that helps when combined with the posts above mine.

The movement becomes much more fluid when you remember the 3 steps of: 1) Lead leg steps out; 2) Drop center of gravity; 3) Rear leg powers the pivot.
Didnt even notice his lead leg stepping out

Didnt even notice his lead leg stepping out
That part is pretty important. You'll notice you can cut a much wider angle from pivoting if you step the lead leg out. You can try it on a partner trying to pivot with and without stepping the lead leg out to see the difference.

This video shows the gist of the shuffle step:

i was taught never to have your feet together like that. its okay to do that when you're out of distance and lazily circling around to shuffle with feet together. but there is no balance when you bring your front foot back to your back foot, at that exact point you have no stability and will easily fall back to a teep

i was taught never to have your feet together like that. its okay to do that when you're out of distance and lazily circling around to shuffle with feet together. but there is no balance when you bring your front foot back to your back foot, at that exact point you have no stability and will easily fall back to a teep

Yeah I didn't like that either that's why I said the video shows the gist of a shuffle step.

I'm guessing he does it because he's retreating.

Back