Social Jordan Peterson thread, V.4 - "Darwinian truth" and misreading Nietzsche

You guys taking shit out of context, again. Peterson's daughter has rheumatoid arthritis which showed up when she was a toddler, she had her entire hip joint replaced as a pre-teen. She also had depression and chronic pain, and was put on a cocktail of meds for that from a young age. Then she went on a paleo diet and a lot of her symptoms cleared up. Peterson also had depression, and a history of family depression. Her daugher's success with the diet made him think that maybe there was an autoimmune aspect to his depression (rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease), and that certain foods were triggered that autoimmune response. He tried his daughter's diet and had some success with it, which he was casually discussing with Rogan.

See, you'd know all this if you actually listened to the shit you post instead of constantly trying to find 5-second gotchas from videos you didn't watch. You people are retarded.

You guys taking shit out of context, again. Peterson's daughter has rheumatoid arthritis which showed up when she was a toddler, she had her entire hip joint replaced as a pre-teen. She also had depression and chronic pain, and was put on a cocktail of meds for that from a young age. Then she went on a paleo diet and a lot of her symptoms cleared up. Peterson also had depression, and a history of family depression. Her daugher's success with the diet made him think that maybe there was an autoimmune aspect to his depression (rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease), and that certain foods were triggered that autoimmune response. He tried his daughter's diet and had some success with it, which he was casually discussing with Rogan.

See, you'd know all this if you actually listened to the shit you post instead of constantly trying to find 5-second gotchas from videos you didn't watch. You people are retarded.
calm down

You nailed it. I was curious about the whole thing, so I listened and was frustrated all the way through. I did hear Harris say, somewhere else, something to the effect of "Everyone seems to have a productive conversation with Peterson except for me." He's right, because they're a match made in hell to talk. Would be more interesting watching them have an MMA match together.

They recently did a talk in person in Vancouver that (according to Peterson) was much more productive than their first talk. I haven't watched it yet so can't really comment though.

In other words, the order of actual events went something like: single-celled organism --> man --> man's perception of Darwinian truth --> science --> man's perception of scientific truth.

I don't think we're at the point where scientific truth can apply to everything though. Maybe eventually we will develop scientific methods for extracting the truth out of mythological depictions of human nature and experience, for example, or from great works of fiction telling stories that resonate because they map into real life.

In the dictionary, one of the definitions has to do with accuracy. Like the arrow that flies true hits its target. I think that applies to such representations and I wouldn't really call that scientific.

Peterson has talked about this also in terms of how would we take a scientific approach to pulling the objective truth out of such things that have an element of interpretation. Not a simple task.

It's like, we know it's in there, but the extraction process just isn't refined enough for the product to be considered scientific truth.

That's how I look at it anyways.

I'm just not sure how 'Darwinian truth' is a useful concept. It isn't something that can empirically be measured except perhaps in a model species. If you think you are measuring the 'Darwinian truth' value of a statement, you are just kinda guessing based on your own preconceptions of what is good for people or useful.

It is of course useful to talk about what things and ideas are good for people and society to carry on, but I see no reason to frame that as 'Darwinian' (it isn't really) or 'truth'. Because while their is overlap between those three things, they form a bit of Venn diagram but not a circle.

Getting a job at the fertility clinic to swap your sperm out with all the samples is probably pretty Darwinianly true for you. Not good for society though and not good for your life either.

He ate some salmon and his lower back hurt tho

There are some interesting relationships between depression and inflamation though - Injecting people with interferon gamma, something the immune system makes in response to pathogens that is pro inflammatory, caused depressive symptoms in people

Last edited:
I watched the dillahunty and Peterson talk and Peterson and Harris live talks.

I have not watched a lot of Peterson talks but the ones I have see other than religion he emphasizes rationality. He gets to religion and he emphasizes custom and tradition and is worried about chaos if old stories lose their sacredness. It is weird.

Dillahunty had much better points than Peterson. And Peterson came out weird saying things like dillahunty does not live like an atheist implying if he did there would be a higher probability he would be out raping and killing

The first night with harris and Peterson was ok. It was two hours and they agreed with most things the first hour.

The second night all Peterson kept saying is that Harris does not have a fact based foundation. He was basically saying that Harris position has Hume’s is ought problem.

Harris was much stronger the second night.

The crowd was loud and cheered at weird times. My guess is a lot of Peterson’s fans are religious and want some reason to believe in their stories and they have some special meaning beyond if people wrote them. They are worried like Peterson that there will be chaos if people did not see their texts as sacred.

one other note about the Harris and Peterson talks. - Bret Weinstein did a great job moderating. He kept them on track and let them talk and brought up good questions to clarify points.

The diet thing is weird to me. I saw the article in the Atlantic and his daughter can drink vodka and bourbon. Isn’t vodka fermented grain? How does that work? The article implied a lot of the benefit of a restrictive diet like she promotes is it geves the person a sense of control when they feel a lot of chaos around them. Since she can handle Viljak and bourbon I think that makes more sense than the nutrients in the diet cured her.

The diet thing is weird to me. I saw the article in the Atlantic and his daughter can drink vodka and bourbon. Isn’t vodka fermented grain? How does that work? The article implied a lot of the benefit of a restrictive diet like she promotes is it geves the person a sense of control when they feel a lot of chaos around them. Since she can handle Viljak and bourbon I think that makes more sense than the nutrients in the diet cured her.
That actually makes sense. Restrictive diets may be a response to one's environment. Or giving them a bit of a sense of control . Very interesting point

The recent attempts to discredit guys like Petersen and Shapiro have been disgusting if entirely predictable.

You can't mention these guys anymore without someone loudly sighing and trying to lecture you on how they're 'dog whistling' to nazis or incels or whatever the newest buzzword is on any given day.
Nobody mentioned that in this thread? TS went out of his way and actually put effort in this and you just come along and shitpost.

I have not watched a lot of Peterson talks but the ones I have see other than religion he emphasizes rationality. He gets to religion and he emphasizes custom and tradition and is worried about chaos if old stories lose their sacredness. It is weird.
The second night all Peterson kept saying is that Harris does not have a fact based foundation. He was basically saying that Harris position has Hume’s is ought problem.
First part: That always struck me, he gets on the paygap or pronouns or any societal issue and it is anything without direct evidence is out the window, he gets closer to psychology and religion and the need for empirical evidence is out the window.

Second part: I think Harris does need a much better solution to the is-ought problem. I can't believe he has all of the philosophical background he does with such a dismissive attitude towards it. He thinks that 'we can all agree that the worst outcome for everyone is to be avoided' is enough moral code to show we don't need to deal with it but that is bullshit.

That being said, and I am going to ramble here but the usual position around the is-ought problem from the sacred texts is from divine revelation. I don't know if that is why JP pretends to be a Christian, or that is why he likes this notion of Darwinian truth, in that he can ground his oughts in the text in that they are useful because they have survived. But I would dispute the latter as well- not everything that has survived is because it is optimal for society....the final cut of the bible was decided by a room full of church bureaucrats.

Is Newtonian truth an attempt to rebrand Kissinger's hard power?

I will say this about hard power/Newtonian truth. They are right. If you drown a child, you have one less mouth to feed. Very efficienct, and very fucking evil.

I don't think so on the first. As far as I can work it out (Caveat's sources below might be helpful) is a belief that truth is the reality, likely empirically discoverable, that exists independent of human relation to it. The contrasted Darwinian truth would be, as far as I can tell, truth claims are done in relation to a telos/goal, and humanity has a built in goal relative to natural selection, so truth claims are true or false in relation to their ability to fulfill that end.

If I can recall, Kissinger's hard power was sort of the brass tacks of power - North Korea's military is inferior to the American one would be a feature of hard power, if I can recall. There is a sort of tangential relation to Newtonian truth in that - the truth is what it is, however you spin it - but it would seem that Kissinger's hard power would be an issue of relation between different facets of power and different states in a way that Newtonian truth wouldn't be? You can probably educate me on Kissinger's notion of hard power.

Cliffs?

I mean for the OP.

I think his notion of Darwinian truth, as opposed to Newtonian truth (which he ascribes to Sam's position) is presented as if they are competing/mutually exclusive, when I see them as more independent notions of a theoretical "hard" truth VS a relativistically oriented mechanism for providing a consistent standard for making truth claims. I see it, in essence, boiling down to an absolute "this it he universe" truth VS "at any given time, this will be the fundamental drive/goal of a human, biologically determined, and truth will be determined relative to that goal." I think him talking about these truths as if they can't/aren't coexisting and operating rather differently (Bret Weinstein holds something like this position, I believe, and mediates between Peterson and Harris in one talk) is a mistake and obfuscates the discussion of truth rather than adds to it.

Also, I think he outright gets Nietzsche wrong and there is a section in The Will to Power which I've cited bits from which strongly suggests this. That being said, Nietzsche bounces around a lot, and perhaps there is a section elsewhere where he offers a different, contradictory notion? The sections I am listing are from notebooks he never himself published, so his published works may have told a different story.

They recently did a talk in person in Vancouver that (according to Peterson) was much more productive than their first talk. I haven't watched it yet so can't really comment though.

I'll give it a look at some point. I am curious about how this develops

The Peterson/Harris debates are something I will never listen to. I am a fan of Dr. Peterson, but those two are a match made in hell. Harris is autistic and Peterson has a problem with rambling. Pass.

It was actually a great discussion between the two. Plus the moderator had some great insight.

In line with the OP, I'd like to put forth some other criticisms of Peterson. I think starting with the post from another user in the last thread is a good place.

"Like what? I have never heard him misspeak on evolutionary biology or neuroscience. My wife a Psychiatrist, has never heard him misspeak on either. This is where the left piles on because for them truth is social orthodoxy. Maintaining the collective lie is the most important thing because all they care about is the status gained by remaining within that collective, so when it collapses they are left looking the fool." -
@Kindacrazy

Peterson wavers from one point to another, cherrypicking facts and using semantics, wordplay and pseudoscientific claims. As an example in regards to evolutionary biology, let's examine his reiteration of the literature on primates and social dominance hierarchy. Notice his appeal to science here btw (hypocritical considering his metaphorical truth spill).

He often choses the aggressive and linear dominance part of chimp social relations, which in reality varies from different groups which he fails to mention (1), instead of chosing examples like the Bonobos who have an entirely different social structure. They are much less aggressive, do not readily fight over territory and use sex as a primary conflict resolution (2). They are equally related to humans as chimps on the genetic level. Moving further, there are other primate species like woolly spider monkeys that are entirely egalitarian with no hierarchiel structures (3), and the vast majority of the research shows that more tolerant and socially inclusive primate species do better AND are more intelligent (4).

Anthropologists suggest that the first tribes of humans lived in egalitarian socieites. This is hypothesized to be part of our evolution and what seperates us from most other primates, and many evolutionary scientist further hypothesize that altruism is a necessary evolved trait of humans (5, 6, 7). Looking further towards human societies today, rank fluctuates between groups and cultural norms dictates vastly different social structures. We function as a species and a society within rank, but that's not the entire picture given to us by the scientific literature. It's NOT as black and white as he makes it out to be and either he is unaware of this fact, or he is deliberately misleading his audience.

In regards to neuroscience and biology lets talk about the famous lobster analogy, which no neuroscentist would make. A lobster doesn't even have a centralised nervous system (8). Lobster live at the bottom of the sea, they don't walk upright (in regards to lobster posture), they can regrow limbs, they don't grow old and they eat each other. So what they have serotonin? So does almost every other living thing, including plants. Serotonin in ants also modify their behavior (9), they are also social creatures, is that therefor evidence of the inherent collectivism, as another poster mentioned, and does that show us our natural state is the matriachy? Afterall, they are both anthropods and ants evolved from crustaceans (10). There's so many things wrong with this "analogy", and the fact that Peterson tries to source it as scientifically valid link to human neurophysiology and behavior is disingenuous.

Serotonin in crustacians and other invertebrates does not represent human social interactions, and in humans the role of serotonin is obviously much more complex (11). In fact, even in the research linked on Petersons own site, the study on lobsters claim that while there was a behavorial change in willingness to fight when crustacians were injected with serotonin, this change did not occur if they were placed in close proximity for prolonged periods (12). So EVEN THE REDUCTIONISTIC MISLEADING ARGUMENT is being presented factually incorrect and misleading.

He claims to be an individualist and liberal capitalist, and that government imposing their will on the people is totalitarianism, yet in the case with Alex Jones recently he opted for goverment intervention making these business public utility (I strongly disagree with Jones being banned btw, as much as I think he's a dangerous POS):

He champions as an absolute free speech and rights advocate, yet he supports and participates in propaganda pieces for Prager University (which do not offer a degree btw). Prager U, created by Jewish fundamentalist and neo-conservative Dennis Prager, vehemently censor evolution theory and LGBT rights. Blasphemy is a deadly sin in the bible, hardly the text you'd want to rely on for free speech. Peterson even wanted to create his own university, and was talking about it last year (13). He is seeming more and more delusional.

In a follow up, he also posted a blatantly incorrect, and easily debunked, climate change denying video from Prager U on his twitter:

Peterson rose to fame by fighting the "Social Justice Warriors" which he claims are destroying the very fabric of society, yet he, like many of the anti-SJWs, completely overestimate the impact and prevelance of gender pronouns, safe spaces and anti-free speech sentiments on the left. The entire LGBT is about 3,8% of the population, which is far below what most think (14), and trans people are only 0,6% of the population (15). Have you ever met a single person in real life that wanted you to call them another gender? Homosexuals and trans people have always existed, why is it so important? In regards to the "totalitarian neo-marxist postmodernists" college campuses, while it is true that the left generally are more inclined to want restrictions on hateful speech, a survey from the Knightfoundation and Gallup shows that the clear majority of college students, including democrats, prefers an open environment with offensive speech to a prohibted one with with positive speech (16, 17):
vg3alz.jpg

This is not to say that there are not real problems with a minority of college students shutting down speech and being idiots and insufferable, but nothing supports it being the world ending apocalypse that the "anti SJWs" propose and propagandize.

What else... He misrepresented bill C-16 which was already in effect for 5 years in the state the was living in before they started talking about it, he says the bible is archetypes and stories, yet he wont say whether or not he believes jesus rose from the dead, he believes there are no atheist because they would be murderers, he makes presuppositional arguments and claims we cant have morality without the bible, he claims people can only quit smoking because of supernatural experiences, he believes in the supernatural, he claims to hate postmodernism while being the biggest postmodernist around. He waffles and shifts on the topic of religion completely and mixes half truths with pseudoscientific sophistry and lazy philosophy. He's constantly inconsistent in his claims. He calls on science when he needs to, but he cherry picks and misinterpret research, then when he science gets in the way of his argument it means nothing and it's all "metaphorical truths" and "darwinian truths" which he also misinteprets.

Want me to go on? This is just what I can remember without thinking about more of his claims. Dare to say I am taking him out of context.

Last edited:
The first person I ever heard make a distinction between these two kinds of truth was actually Allan Watts lol. Can't track down where he talks about it though - near the beginning of one of his speaking series.

Makes sense that someone with a background in Eastern philosophy would come up with more contingent notions of truth. The whole Newtonian truth, whatever it is in its entirety, is steeped in a Western metaphysical landscape.

Anyway, I don't think the two types of truth are absolutely exclusive conceptually, but if you consider their development chronologically then it seems like one needs to subsume the other, in a fundamental way.

In other words, the order of actual events went something like: single-celled organism --> man --> man's perception of Darwinian truth --> science --> man's perception of scientific truth.

Ok, so it's a historically contingent exclusiveness that's the problem. That I can work with since it is, ultimately, contingent and there's no absolute reason to have them excluding each other.

I think Sam's response to this would be "Even if we only came to accept Newtonian truth as the absolute truth at the end of this process, it was truth all along, and we were previously in error."

I think Peterson's response to this - and he may actually make it at some point - is that scientific/Newtonian truth would only be accepted as a dominant conception of truth insofar as it fulfills the conditions of Darwinian truths - that it keeps on spitting out answers that are "true enough" in a Darwinian sense. Essentially, I suspect he would say "Newtonian truth is so popular only because it consistently accomplishes what Darwinian truth." This may hinge on two different starting points for them - Harris proceeding from a concern for what is true, and Peterson proceeding from a concern for what

Barring other arguments for the legitimacy of scientific truth, it could very well be the case that what we perceive as scientific truth is just an contemporary expression of Darwinian truth (not saying I believe that, just pointing it out). In fact IIRC Alvin Platinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism (EAAN) rests on premises similar to these.

Oh. This captures what I suspect Peterson might have responded with. I'll have to look up this Alvin Platinga fellow...

I'm not sure I believe it either, and I do think that Nietzsche is providing a more thoughtful treatment of this issue. The more I think about this, the more I think that the issue is one of describing a perceived absolute truth, versus a description of describing how human beings actually arrive at truth.

Harris will say "there is an absolute truth independent of human observation or consideration."

Peterson will say "That's not how people determine what's true - it's a product of relation to a nested teleological end, and that end comes from a biological substrate. What what humans, in practice, determine to be truths will be things that achieve that end, and their degree of truth is based on their

Nietzsche's response would be "Peterson's description of human activity is right but his model of truth is wrong. Why would you call that truth rather than merely an end beneficial to life? Everything you call truth could very well be an error that is beneficial to life, and a standard of value derived from that benefit doesn't actually reveal a thing's truth, whatever we call it."

I think Sam's model of truth has more claim to be right, but it may be inconsequential because Peterson's observation about human behaviour is right - but he goes too far in calling it truth. It's potentially a very useful descriptive model though.

Anyway, remember the context Peterson is developing this idea within: he wants to avoid what Harris might call "the worst possible situation for everyone". If that's THE FUNDAMENTAL VALUE, then every other, including scientific rationality, is subservient to it. That way when you develop something like a hydrogen bomb scientifically, you've got a value system to tell you what to do with it, since science as it's currently understood (Newtonian) has done that neither philosophically nor empirically.

That's a very good thought on this. "The worst possible situation for everyone" does seem to have a bit of a "Darwinian truth" ring to it, as I'm not sure that a scientific viewpoint could arrive at a "worst possible scenario." I've heard Sam give some lame argument about people getting their arms cut off but he fails to deal with any sort of nuance around that issue, about deviant, utilitarian, or just competing values. The day I get shot is probably a bad day - unless I get shot to save my child's life. Then it might be a good day, all things considered. The valuation of the good or bad comes from a variety of places and it's not nearly as clear cut as I've seen him present...

I think you've nailed down the rest with the Will to Power stuff. Figured you would after the other thread lol.

Yes. And now I have to put some thought into how to phrase a response to your question about foundation about values in that other thread. Hrm... It really does hinge on whether we're talking about a foundation of values that are credible in an absolute sense, or whether we're talking about functional values that are not absolutely defensible, in which case we have to wade into the mire of postmodernism and pick out a hill to stand on. Will get back to you.

In line with the OP, I'd like to put forth some other criticisms of Peterson. I think starting with the post from another user in the last thread is a good place.

"Like what? I have never heard him misspeak on evolutionary biology or neuroscience. My wife a Psychiatrist, has never heard him misspeak on either. This is where the left piles on because for them truth is social orthodoxy. Maintaining the collective lie is the most important thing because all they care about is the status gained by remaining within that collective, so when it collapses they are left looking the fool." -
@Kindacrazy

Peterson wavers from one point to another, cherrypicking facts and using semantics, wordplay and pseudoscientific claims. As an example in regards to evolutionary biology, let's examine his reiteration of the literature on primates and social dominance hierarchy. Notice his appeal to science here btw (hypocritical considering his metaphorical truth spill).

He often choses the aggressive and linear dominance part of chimp social relations, which in reality varies from different groups which he fails to mention (1), instead of chosing examples like the Bonobos who have an entirely different social structure. They are much less aggressive, do not readily fight over territory and use sex as a primary conflict resolution (2). They are equally related to humans as chimps on the genetic level. Moving further, there are other primate species like woolly spider monkeys that are entirely egalitarian with no hierarchiel structures (3), and the vast majority of the research shows that more tolerant and socially inclusive primate species do better AND are more intelligent (4).

Anthropologists suggest that the first tribes of humans lived in egalitarian socieites. This is hypothesized to be part of our evolution and what seperates us from most other primates, and many evolutionary scientist further hypothesize that altruism is a necessary evolved trait of humans (5, 6, 7). Looking further towards human societies today, rank fluctuates between groups and cultural norms dictates vastly different social structures. We funtion as a species and a society within rank today, but that's not the entire picture given to us by the scientific literature. It's NOT as black and white as he makes it out to be and either he is unaware of this fact, or he is deliberately misleading his audience.

In regards to neuroscience and biology lets talk about the famous lobster analogy, which no neuroscentist would make. A lobster doesn't even have a centralised nervous system (8). Lobster live at the bottom of the sea, they don't walk upright (in regards to lobster posture), they can regrow limbs, they don't grow old and they eat each other. So what they have serotonin? So does almost every other living thing, including plants. Serotonin in ants also modify their behavioral (9), they are also social creatures, is that therefor evidence of the inherent collectivism, as another poster mentioned, and does that show us our natural state is the matriachy? Afterall, they are both anthropods and ants evolved from crustaceans (10). There's so many things wrong with this "analogy", and the fact that Peterson tries to source it as scientifically valid link to human neurophysiology and behavior is disingenuous.

Serotonin in crustacians and other invertebrates does not represent human social interactions, and in humans the role of serotonin is obviously much more complex (11). In fact, even in the research linked on Petersons own site, the study on lobsters claim that while there was a behavorial change in willingness to fight when crustacians were injected with serotonin, this change did not occur if they were placed in close proximity for prolonged periods (12). So EVEN THE REDUCTIONISTIC MISLEADING ARGUMENT is being presented factually incorrect and misleading.

He claims to be an individualist and liberal capitalist, and that government imposing their will on the people is totalitarianism, yet in the case with Alex Jones recently he opted for goverment intervention making these business public utility (I strongly disagree with Jones being banned btw, as much as I think he's a dangerous POS):

He champions as an absolute free speech and rights advocate, yet he supports and participates in propaganda pieces for Prager University (which do not offer a degree btw). Prager U, created by Jewish fundamentalist and neo-conservative Dennis Prager, vehemently censor evolution theory and LGBT rights. Blasphemy is a deadly sin in the bible, hardly the text you'd want to rely on for free speech. Peterson even wanted to create his own university, and was talking about it last year (13). He is seeming more and more delusional.

In a follow up, he also posted a blatantly incorrect, and easily debunked, climate change denying video from Prager U on his twitter:

Peterson rose to fame by fighting the "Social Justice Warriors" which he claims are destroying the very fabric of society, yet he, like many of the anti-SJWs, completely overestimate the impact and prevelance of gender pronouns, safe spaces and anti-free speech sentiments on the left. The entire LGBT is about 3,8% of the population, which is far below what most think (14), and trans people are only 0,6% of the population (15). Have you ever met a single person in real life that wanted you to call them another gender? Homosexuals and trans people have always existed, why is it so important? In regards to the "totalitarian neo-marxist postmodernists" college campuses, while it is true that the left generally are more inclined to want restrictions on hateful speech, a survey from the Knightfoundation and Gallup shows that the clear majority of college students, including democrats, prefers an open environment with offensive speech to a prohibted one with with positive speech (16, 17):
vg3alz.jpg

This is not to say that there are not real problems with a minority of college students shutting down speech and being idiots and insufferable, but nothing supports it being the world ending apocalypse that the "anti SJWs" propose and propagandize.

What else... He misrepresented bill C-16 which was already in effect for 5 years in the state the was living in before they started talking about it, he says the bible is archetypes and stories, yet he wont say whether or not he believes jesus rose from the dead, he believes there are no atheist because they would be murderes, he makes presuppositional arguments and claims we cant have morality without the bible, he claims people can only quit smoking because of supernatural experiences, he believes in the supernatural, he claims to hate postmodernism while being the biggest postmodernist around. He waffles and shifts on the topic of religion completely and mixes half truths with pseudoscientific sophistry and lazy philosophy. He's constantly inconsistent in his claims. He calls on science when he needs to, but he cherry picks and misinterpret research, then when he science gets in the way of his argument it means nothing and it's all "metaphorical truths" and "darwinian truths" which he also misinteprets.

Want me to go on? This is just what I can remember without thinking about more of his claims. Dare to say I am taking him out of context.

<{you!}>

Yeah you made it sould so legit

Back