Jones won a tough, competitive fight with Santos. So what?

GrayArea

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It’s not like Jones got TKO’d or tapped to strikes.

Thiago is obviously best suited for LHW as well. Obvious case of a weight cut (185lbs) hindering a man’s chin/cardio. He was 3-0 at LHW with 3 KO’s. It’s not like Santos was gifted a title shot from a reality show.

People need to stop shitting on Jones for looking human, and start praising Thiago for a masterful effort. He came up just short though, and will likely get besmirched in the rematch.

Last edited:
People expected him to run through him but it is what it is.. Floyd Mayweather outclassed great boxers and had tough fights with not not so great boxers. Styles make fights.

Both guys ended up with injured legs from kicking and being kicked. Santos landed one good shot standing but never rocked Jones. Jones knocked Santos down with an elbow and had him wobbling against the cage for a moment with another one. That was basically the extent of the action in a 5 round fight.

Bro according to sherdoggers he dieded worse than Askren.
He should retire while he can still tie his shoes

Jones post Santos in the eyes of SD:
s_37_962_Denis_Lebedev_main_pic.jpg

Even Tony Ferguson gets rocked every other fight. Is normal.

People expected him to run through him but it is what it is.. Floyd Mayweather outclassed great boxers and had tough fights with not not so great boxers. Styles make fights.

Thank you

Ali had tough fights and losses. Also Jones refusing to grapple was a huge mistake..

I think the main problem is that, when facing defeat for the first time in his career, Jones didn't react how I would have expected him to in that situation. Remaining tentative in the final round, not shooting for takedowns or being more aggressive like he was against Gus. He didn't fight like a man that was desperate to remain champ and undefeated.

Everyone thought Thiago was a can which sucks because he's a very fun fighter. Had kind of an inconsistent MW run, but he had a very tough cut and LHW is most definitely the right division for him. Isn't Sherdog supposed to be anti-big-weight-cutting??

I was hoping this close fight would finally give him the respect he's deserved for a long time, but the anti-Jones squad will just forget him and move on to the next fighter hyped as being the one <45>

Fair point, but a lot of people, including me, are just surprised that Jones never stepped it up and was point fighting.

He let a former MW, who has been finished numerous times in the first round by mediocre MW's like Eric Spicely, Mutante and just last year, David Branch survive and even arguably beat him on the cards with one leg. It's obvious Santos came into the fight with an injured knee and Jones never pulled the trigger.

People can shit on Juice-head, thats fine, but don't shit on Thiago saying he's a MW reject. Like TS said, obvious case of cutting too much weight. Dude is a legit LHW and gave Jones a run for his money.

Probably Santos will never be remembered as the phenom and the champion he is, this is the real problem.

Thiago is obviously best suited for LHW as well. Obvious case of a weight cut (185lbs) hindering a man’s chin/cardio. He was 3-0 at LHW with 3 KO’s. It’s not like Santos was gifted a title shot from a reality show.

People need to stop shitting on Jones for looking human, and start praising Thiago for a masterful effort. He came up just short though, and will likely get besmirched in the rematch.
For real

Jones was extremely flat. He also won a tough, competitive fight.

Those statements aren't at odds with each other at all.

I do think his behavior and in-cage gameplan was extremely suspect as well.

It's not the end of the world or time for Jones fans to chicken little all over the place, but it definitely happened.

The problem is Thiago didn’t look great. Jones looked subpar

He lost to a one legged WW? Stop with the damage control already.

Jones is a great fighter, either him or Silva is the GOAT, but:

He looked way more beatable than ever, he barely won on a split decision, don't forget that.
Not sure if USADA, but Jones is looking faaaaaar more beatable than the hellbow packing S.O.B. he used to be.

And then his supporters started arguing that he willingly made the fight as is, he wanted to score that SD, which doesn't help at all... Less lunacity, maybe?

the main problem is that, when facing defeat for the first time in his career, Jones didn't react how I would have expected him to in that situation.

Why? He probably thought he was up 4 rounds to none, or at least 3-1. And on two cards, he was right. He was visibly shocked when he lost on one of the cards.

yeah people try to overanalyze shit. I dont like jones...but the guy won a very hard fought match fair and square..."shrugs" why the drama?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back