Jones' Willingness to Take a Punch

Doug22

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is anyone else really impressed by how willing Jon is to eat big punches in order to implement his own gameplan? He wasn't afraid to eat the same uppercuts that took Bigfoot's head off in order to in-fight with DC.

I think since the Machida fight where he proved to himself that he could take a punch he has been completely unafraid of getting KO'd.

inb4RampageGIF

inb4RampageGIF

That was before the Machida fight though and he didn't really take a hard shot until that fight. I think if he fought Rampage today he wouldn't be scared to get in his face.

Agree...Jones has a tough chin and not afraid to get in there and scrap. Everyone thought Glover would KO him and he took the hits. I don't think you can compare the uppercut DC gave to JBJ with the one he put on BigFoot.

Jones is a tough fighter, he really is.

Maybe he should be focusing on his head movement.

Jones can take some bombs

if you're saying he can't...

then he's had like...12 UFC fights without "eating a bomb"

which means his striking must be pretty damn good

Yes! That was one thing early on in his career I always thought might be a weak point, but he's been able to eat some good shots without dropping or even looking completely dazed.

agreed...superb set of whiskers which have won him a few fights now

Impressive, but not the best habit to get into since the punches will eventually add up and catch up to him sooner or later.

Sometimes you do need to eat a few punches to get to where you need to, the key will be figuring out when to do it and when it's better to avoid the shots and wait for the next opportunity. That's something which comes with experience & maturity, we'll see how Jones does in the future.

Being a huge jones fan I was very scared for him...I was thinking that he was gonna get knocked out..but according to him he was never even hurt..what a beast

I didn't really see one punch that was "big" that DC landed. Sure he landed some little uppercuts in the clinch, but to call any punch DC landed Big is rather laughable.

Reminded me of this
fbgk06.jpg
. Jones has the durability to go with the rest of his skillset.

Jones has taken some shots but have you notice Jones' chin is tucked away and he's always shifting from the punch. His defense isn't the best because he relies on his reach a lot but coupled with his tucked chin, he's actually hard to knockout.

He mentioned it last night on the FS1 post fight show. He knows he has a good chin. It is another big asset that helps him when things do become a scrap. Both Gus and DC hit him with big shots and he took them very well.

Jones is still discovering himself as are we, lol. He continues to show how good he is as he faces better opposition. I think he defeats gus easier next time and if he faces rumble, should break him down. Will be interesting to see where he goes once he cleans out the division.

If Brandon Vera couldn't knock him out, nobody ever will.

Back