Jones only starts training once fight is signed

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
They were talking about it on the cheap seats on sherdog radio.

Apparently Jones said in one of his post fight interviews that he does no training outside of his 8 week training camp.

MMA insider Greg Savage confirmed that Jones does no martial arts related training outside of fight camp.

How does he perform at such a high level when he's probably spending less than half the year in training?

Many fighters in MMA and boxing do this it isn't that uncommon. it's not a good thing but it's common

[bait]Still enough to be the best. Real athletes don't seem to care about MMA.[/bait]

I don't believe this. Surely he helps other fighters in his camp train.

I'm a Jones fan (or at least a fan of his fights), but he doesn't strike me as someone who cares too much about his team mates and also doesn't seem to be that popular with them either.

Lay low in training like all other combat sport fighters.

I'm a Jones fan (or at least a fan of his fights), but he doesn't strike me as someone who cares too much about his team mates and also doesn't seem to be that popular with them either.

He basically said he doesnt return to new mexico after his fights until the next training camp, He lives away from new mexico and takes time out to spend time with Family and friends, Said that he is moving to new mexico and will be training regularly at jacksons between fight camps.

He basically said he doesnt return to new mexico after his fights until the next training camp, He lives away from new mexico and takes time out to spend time with Family and friends, Said that he is moving to new mexico and will be training regularly at jacksons between fight camps.

He's moving to Albuquerque, because that's where the nice rehab joints are.

He's moving to Albuquerque, because that's where the nice rehab joints are.

also closer to the Mexican Yeyo pipeline, he's tired of paying full retail price for blow.

2686c01f63887ac88e90d8ef6f76b4c3.gif

Many fighters in MMA and boxing do this it isn't that uncommon. it's not a good thing but it's common

It's not common for top fighters like Jones it's amazing he does that.

Isn't it good for longevity though? GSP kind of destroyed his own body by training to be fight ready all the time.

You must be thinking of a Jon Jones that doesn't .....................................

Yeah, that Jones might help people in the gym.

No dubs, eh? Wish I had the stones to say what everyone is thinking, but my virtual belt/join date are all i've got in this life :cool:

Serious note though, and certainly not fighter bashing, as Jones is one of my favorite fighters to WATCH (my least favorite PERSON who fights, but god damn he's impressive in the ring), he definitely seems to be the guy that cares about himself, and himself only. He's good enough to only train 8 weeks, and even though he could spend the other time helping people who truly love/need the training, those "other activities" are certainly more important. Either way, I'd never miss a Jones fight, as I believe he will be recognized for years to come as GOAT (so long as he only pops for recreational stuff, and this is in no way an accusation of anything, please don't dub me :icon_sad:).

Back