Jones moving to ABQ and this test isn't a coincidence, right?

krolik1157

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Here's what we know happened before the Cormier fight:

1) Bones decided to move down to ABQ full-time instead of spending his time between camps in New York hanging out -- he was known for having a "pot-belly" at the beginning of camps, talked about how he's matured from when he was younger, and how he looks forward to training year-round (specifically, he mentioned being around his strength and conditioning coach every day and getting his BJJ black belt -- I'd say he should be working on his boxing fundamentals, but that's just me).

2) Jones did cocaine and tested positive for it. I'm relatively sure (not 100% -- there have been about 5,000 stories flying around) that Jones had been told he'd failed the test and knew he was checking into rehab after the fight, win or lose.

There's no way those things aren't related, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hadn't really heard anything about Jones being anything resembling a lazy worker between camps before the lead-up to this fight, although that could just be because he honestly didn't have much time between camps during that first meteoric rise in his career. (I remember after the Bader fight he said "I'm not going to drink tonight, but I am going to have a double cheeseburger," which led me to have a picture of his discipline level in my head that is definitely incorrect.)

Hopefully, this can be his "wake-up call," like BJ losing to GSP was, without the actual loss, and we'll see Jones take his performances to an even higher place going into his next fights -- I know a lot of people don't like the dude's personality, but I hate seeing potential squandered a lot more. (Never mind that BJ went back to being BJ after the Diego fight. I'm using too many parentheticals.)

And since this is a Jones thread, EYEPOKE COCAINE FAKE SOMETHING ABOUT HIS T/E RATIO. That covers everything, right? Oh, SNITCH HIS ARMS ARE CHEATING FEDOR WOULD HAVE CUT OFF HIS FOREARMS IF HIS ARMS WERE THAT LONG.

I think thats a pretty interesting connection. I think its likely that might be the case. I don't trust everything Dana White says. He obviously has his own agenda. Its too much of a coincidence. I think Jon must have had a feeling that he was gonna get popped. Either that or maybe he was planning on getting his act together and getting clean after the Cormier fight. What surprises me the most is not him getting popped for coke. It's the fact that a lot of fighters are coming out and saying that its something they heard about for years. I figured him for an occasional user. Not an addict.

1 - pretty sure he mentioned moving to ABQ before December which is when the test took place, not positive though.

2 - i dont think he knew going into the fight and if he did, then that means he was carrying some serious baggage into that fight and he still pulled it out, wow if thats the case. Plus Dana said he didnt know, bones would call him out if it wasnt true.

3 - Jon is known to be out of shape in between camps, ive seen numerous pics of him looking like a normal tall skinny guy with a gut.

Jones is famous for doing basically nothing between camps.

I don't think this is a coincidence though; seems like the actions of a man trying to change his life.

Him being in/checking into rehab right after the test results came out is throwing me, though, because it means either:

1) He knew about the test, decided he needed to make a change, and decided then that he was checking in after the fight, because it was becoming a problem

2) Directly after beating the guy who was supposed to be the toughest opponent he'd ever faced, a test from a month earlier showed him that he had a problem he needed to fix.

There's also 3) -- that the rehab is more of a PR move than anything else, but I'd say scenario 1 is more likely than scenario 2. It's very hard to get an addict to change things up until they hit a low point, and the DC fight definitely wasn't a low point.

What's probably related is his skinny-fat before camp appearance with radical transformation of gaining tons of muscle while simultaneously losing tons of fat and...his unusual T:E ratio.

Also note that he didnt get caught in a standard test, it was a random test which to my knowledge hasnt been constantly happening to him throughout his career.

Breaking Bones - Jon takes over for Heisenberg

I think the coincidence was that he happened to get caught this time.

On the JRE they figured out he most likely was in Brazil right before the test. Probably partied with some locals a little too hard.

I've wondered if he knew about this before the fight as well, hence the talk about moving to ABQ full time (which came unprompted if you watch Jones post-fight interview). I'm also wondering if after being tested again two weeks after the initial test (to double check the cocaine metabolite) might have roused Jones suspicion that something was up.
Either way, I hope he truly has learned the error of his ways and the full time move to ABQ will keep him from having too much party time.

Also note that he didnt get caught in a standard test, it was a random test which to my knowledge hasnt been constantly happening to him throughout his career.

Random tests after flights from Braziu seem a lot less random nowadays.

This rehab stuff is just PR. A person who really has a problem with drugs can't train and fight like he did. In my opinion at least.

ABQ... lol

no one knows wtf that is.

It is now reasonable, when considering Jon Jones*, to assume the worse.

That is what Jon Jones* has done to his reputation.

This rehab stuff is just PR. A person who really has a problem with drugs can't train and fight like he did. In my opinion at least.

Partying at all, whatever you are into five weeks before a title fight isn't professional. I agree that he can't be doing it all the time but he is still not in a good position with his habit if he is doing drugs in camp.

What's probably related is his skinny-fat before camp appearance with radical transformation of gaining tons of muscle while simultaneously losing tons of fat and...his unusual T:E ratio.

He doesn't gain tons of muscle, he just loses tons of fat which makes his muscles pop out and he looks bigger.

Back