Jones almost lost because of distance.

BrazilPitbullUS

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Jones has never been jabbed in the face so many times, he's never been hit so many times, they weren't big blows but they were adding up. Jones was feeling the pressure of the consistent contact and this was due to Alexander Gustafsson's reach. Jones has controlled everyone of his opponents with his wide variety of strikes great td's but clearly used distance to controle all his past victims. Shogun, Evans and even Rampage looked a weight class below Jones when you saw them together. Jones has been exposed to a certain degree. Dana White had similar thoughts at the post fight press conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwngbHEKS0M&hd=1

I think it's more than Gus's size that troubled Jones though. Very few guys his size have footwork and speed like Gus. Jones is used to putting all his weight on his front foot and uses his distance to have time to react to things. He was against someone who's his size but also very mobile where as Jones isn't that mobile.

Put a tall fighter that isn't as fast and slick as Gus and Jones will probably work his magic easily.

I think it's more than Gus's size that troubled Jones though. Very few guys his size have footwork and speed like Gus. Jones is used to putting all his weight on his front foot and uses his distance to have time to react to things. He was against someone who's his size but also very mobile where as Jones isn't that mobile.

Put a tall fighter that isn't as fast and slick as Gus and Jones will probably work his magic easily.

I agree with this 100 %.

Yes he had huge problem with the distance and in the first few round Gus was also able dictate when and where the fight was taking place. He confused Jones with his length and movement and quick hands, I think if there is a rematch down the road he takes the win.

Fighting people your own size is a lot harder...

probably has nothing to do with why guys like Aldo, Barao, GSP or even Anderson Silva choose to be big champs instead of moving up a weightclass right?

Probably nothing to do at all why Gus chooses to fight at 205 instead of challenging Cain right?

:eek:

I also agree with what your saying, can't just put anybody in there who's as tall as Jones and then we got a super fight on our hands. Gus is the man right now, not taking anything away from him. However if Gus fights the same as he did last night and is a couple of inches shorter, well obviously its a totally diffrent fight. The reach and height advantage was something Jones used so masterfully in the past and Gus shut him down.

I agree with this 100 %.

That's exactly why i said Jon Jones can't stand with Alex..

The fact is, Jones is really not NEARLY as good as people have been making him out. He lost that fight, no way in HELL he won the 2nd round. Enjoy your belt for a few more months, until the clock strikes 12.

Jones is exposed. He KNOWS he isn't half as good as he and everyone else makes him out to be...

Fact is, if he can't take someone down he has NOTHING. Was lame they gave him that fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back