Jon needs a new striking coach....

xMyKRo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a huge JBJ fan, but I feel his standup has regressed.

What happened to the movement, and explosive striking we saw early in his career? These last 4-5 fights JBJ has been slow on his feet, and telegraphing his strikes.

Think his time with Winklejohn has become stale, and he is in need of a dynamic striking coach.

I dont agree with "last 4-5 fights"..

I do agree that a new striking coach is needed

What happened to the movement, and explosive striking we saw early in his career? These last 4-5 fights JBJ has been slow on his feet, and telegraphing his strikes.

Think his time with Winklejohn has become stale, and he is in need of a dynamic striking coach.

He can either focus on his wrestling or striking.

For the Gus fight he focused on his boxing which was a mistake.

Better to concentrate on wrestling.That's his core skill.

He was doing some pretty sneaky stuff early in the fight

Jon would have done good with anyone as his coach.

Im not a fan of wink

I know, I mentioned exactly this just a few moments ago. Jon went from looking improved in his last fight against Glover with his boxing in the pocket and in-fighting in general to looking regressed as you worded it. He honestly looked like crap aside from some moments of technical brilliance here and there, and the same goes for DC.

One thing that I do know and that I already have an account bet on for one of these fights in the future... if either of these guys shows up like they did tonight against Gustafsson, he will finish them and it'll be quick. Gustafsson won't be fighting for points next time and just peppering with mild shots, he'll be more aggressive and follow up on his shots. He pounced the moment he smelled blood in his last fight and removed him from consciousness in the 2nd round.

His kickboxing sucks. He should learn the basics.

Jones's striking is garbage. He does no damage. He pushes the knee and throws head kicks, that rarely land clean. Somehow viewers and the judges still think he wins the striking though.

As Jon said, he has never fully trained year around. Now that he lives in New Mexico, he can spend more time improving in all areas. Jon was scary before, but the best may be still to come.

I would like for him to get a jab and stop lowering his head so much. Also, improve his footwork.

Last edited:
If Jon could box he would be hands down the greatest fighter to ever live. He literally got hit with the same damn uppercut 20 fuckin times. I mean geezus move your gotdamn head.

I think Jackson's gym has been due for a new striking coach for a while now. The last time I saw any kind of striking evolution with any of there fighters was Carlos when he fought Kampmann. I guess they helped Arlovski from a defensive standpoint but other than that I haven't seen anything notable.

His boxing has not looked good for a few fights. Against DC it was almost nonexistent for the final two rounds. His kicks were spot on. His clinch-work, Muay thai, elbows, wrestling - all that was good.

But he looked like he could hardly throw a punch.

He doesnt need it.

Leg teeps, wild high kicks to forearms, and leg kicks score huge with judges in the UFC these days.

They even reward holding on to a Clinch in the middle of the ring for 2 rounds. Not a single BREAK by the ref.

Take the Gus fight for example, Get taken down, beat up 4 rounds, land 1 elbow. and a half assed takedown. and kinda edge the 5th round by kicks and teeps.

see, Jones doesnt need any hands for striking, just for poking and holding.

Cormier ahead for 3 rounds in strikes, got taken down a few times and held in place, and jones wins?

no wonder Fans are declining.

Jones is an awesome talented fighter, but the stuff he gets away with is becoming scary.

Dc was always a threat with his tds.
. Jones wasnt freely able to work like he did against glover.. go spar against a boxer... then go try box a wrestler and you will see what im getting at.
His coach wasnt the problem.

Regressed? He never was really that great of a striker. Not saying he's bad, but he never really was GREAT, which is one of the main reasons I favored Gus in their first fight. I believed Gus would expose him, but instead of that, people are saying he underestimated Gus, yeah right.

I agree TS. For quite a while ive always thought Jones looks like hes going backwards. Yes, he gets the wins, which is really all he cares about. But something always makes me think he could win every fight a lot quicker . Just seems like hes more interested in fighting everyone at their own 'style' rather than just beating the shit out of them.

If Jon could box he would be hands down the greatest fighter to ever live. He literally got hit with the same damn uppercut 20 fuckin times. I mean geezus move your gotdamn head.

Exactly. He's my boy but he has no jab whatsoever. All that holding your hand out shit isn't necessary when he has the jab there all night. Also he kept bringing his head down to Cormier's level. For what??? I know he wanted to wrestle but it seems like he was making the fight harder than it had to be and eating a lot of uppercuts that he shouldn't have.

Like the OP said he definitely needs a new striking coach. Particularly boxing. He needs George Foreman.

Back