Jon Jones's 2011 run vs Shogun's 2005 GP run

Uncommon Valor

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Could I get a poll?

In 2011, Jones has wins over Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida.

vs

In Shogun's 2005 GP run, he has wins over Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, and Arona.

Who had the better run?

Shogun's list of opponents was better but by now there is no doubt Jones is the much better fighter.

Jones wins because he obliterated the guy he's competing against in the poll.

34hc7kw.gif

I'd go Jones, because of the way he won his fights.
None of his opponents gave him any trouble whatsoever.

Overeem had some success v. Shogun before he gassed, and Arona had fought a solid ten minutes longer in the semi-finals in a grueling fight with Wanderlei. Overeem wilted as soon as he gassed and Shogun put him away.

I believe Jones' run ranks higher because he finished every opponent and was never in any real danger whatsoever. Overeem had more success early v. Shogun than Machida did v. Jones IMO, and little things like that have to play a factor because its such a tough decision.

Jones by a million billion miles

But I'll make your poll. By the time anyone reads this it should be up on the front page.

Shogun's run was extremely impressive but I'd have to say Jones.

I like Shogun but Jones has been more impressive crack or no crack.

Poll's up IDK if you want to keep this thread or delete it, makes no difference to me but you might get more hits and comments in the poll thread without this one.

On paper Shogun's opponents are better imo but as previous posters said Jones did it more impressively.

Could I get a poll?

In 2011, Jones has wins over Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida.

vs

In Shogun's 2005 GP run, he has wins over Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, and Arona.

Who had the better run?

1. Bader isn't as good as anybody on Shogun's list.
2. Shogun fought the better version of Rampage and destroyed him, he didn't wait until Rampage wrapped his neck in a bow and gave it to Jon.
3. Arona was ranked 2nd/3rd in the world when Shogun fought him.
4. Overeem was ranked 8th in the world when Shogun fought him.

Jones fought a Shogun Rua who was coming of a year layoff after his THIRD career ending knee surgery.

Lyoto, his best win in 2011, was ranked 5th.

Shogun's fights took place over a 4 month period and included 2 on the final night.

Shogun had the better year, and its not even close.

Jones has surpassed Shogun on the LHW GOAT list, but there will always be an asterisk next to Shogun's name because of his injuries.

You don't have to be a fan of Jones the person but Jones the fighter is the LHW GOAT.

Back