• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rewatch Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes

It is amazing that Jones has lost every close round in his career, according to the people that desperately want him to lose. A sign of bias? Nah, of course not.

I thought he edged Gus, and that the Santos fight was a toss up. But I really don't see how one gives any of the three rounds to Jones over Reyes.

I thought he edged Gus, and that the Santos fight was a toss up. But I really don't see how one gives any of the three rounds to Jones over Reyes.
MMADecisions fan scores are pretty telling. 97% round one for Reyes, 88% round two, 83% round three. Reyes is only two years younger than Jones which is crazy as well.

I had that round 29 to 16 on strikes personally, cause I don’t trust official stats, so strikes I had a 13 strike advantage for reyes, but the official stats say 11 strike difference so not much difference. Reyes landed the harder shots, so he had effective striking, he made jones turn around and run away early on from a strike so that would be effective aggression and fighting area control. The 3rd round is the closest, no argument for either for jones but you would be extra incorrect if you gave the 2nd to jones
Honestly rewatching the fight I think both round 2 and 3 were close ones. I firstly had the impression round 3 was the closest one, then I had the impression it was round 2, but after watching real closely again, it seems round 3 was really the closest one.

I counted that round by momentums. We don't know how much the judges weigh in on strikes landed vs pressure... JJ had a high pressure, higher than DR in round 3, that's clear imo. Many shots from Reyes came when JJ was pressing him and having him close to the ropes. I don't think it was just a not effective pressure since Reyes didn't want to be in that position... You'd see him always circling to the side of JJ and trying to get away from the ropes and be more in the octagon centre... He wasn't comfortable being forced to get closer to the ropes. Many of his shots were jabs to the body, kicks to the guard while Jones was pressuring him. And it's not like in the majority of these shots Jones would be forced to take some steps back and stop pressuring... No, he'd just keep on with the pressure, while Reyes seemed to be trying to get him away. So kick to the legs that didn't appear as impactful, jabs to the body that hadn't a reaction of pain from JJ, in the way they say "he felt it!!"... Could count just as much as Jones just keeping him pressured and circling around trying to get away from that. I counter 15-14 momentums for JJ in round 3. I'd count not outstanding strikes such as jabs to the body and leg kicks that didn't shake Jones or challenged his composure as much as JJ controlling the octagon centre... And when he'd be in control of the octagon and pressure Reyes and hit him with good boxing combos, that would score. Though more impactful strikes from Reyes such as a solid kick to the body, even when JJ was in the pressure, would score for Reyes in my arbitrary system. I think JJ finished the round slightly better, I'd give him a small edge on round 3. Round 2 was close but Reyes had a good start and finished strong with the last good shots, so Reyes won 1 and 2. I'd give 3rd to JJ though it was close and it's subjective

I don't see how any of the first three go to Jones. It's a moot point to say Reyes fought badly in the fifth. Everyone agrees he lost that one. This is a round score system.

If you barely win the first 3 and clearly lose the last 2 you will lose most of the time. Thats just the way judging works.

If you barely win the first 3 and clearly lose the last 2 you will lose most of the time. Thats just the way judging works.

What kind of moronic response is that? That's the way judging works? No, it actually isn't. That's the way incompetent judging works.

Close fight, but I really see Jones winning that one. Reyes fought like a ***** in the 5th round. You can't defeat the champion like that.

The onky people who think it was Close are Jonesaphobes

Yeah, Reyes definitely won this.
No he didn’t
Look at the stats

Jones always wins the championship rounds
He did it against Gus, he did it to Reyes
You don’t lose your belt in close fights

What kind of moronic response is that? That's the way judging works? No, it actually isn't. That's the way incompetent judging works.
He’s right, you’re wrong
There’s a reason they call 4 and 5 the championship rounds

He’s right, you’re wrong
There’s a reason they call 4 and 5 the championship rounds

They call them championship rounds because championship fights are 5 rounds and not 3, not because they are worth any more or less in the judging. All rounds are worth the same, and are scored under the exact same criteria.

Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about don't talk.

you guys don't get it, if you win the 4th and 5th clearly, you're supposed to close your eyes and randomly give the champ a round he lost from earlier, truly the enlightened mans position.

Back