Jon Jones speculation

TheGumby

Claymation Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of his but his skill set is undeniable. It got me thinking why anything would be different upon his return. One thing I haven't heard too much about is ring rust. Does anyone think he's been out long enough to suffer from this? Will it be a factor?

In some sports you simply can't simulate game-conditions in practice, therefore ring rust is very real. Ring rust should not be as prevalent in MMA so long as you are training regularly.

3x a year is all most fight. 99% of being active is spent in training anyway. So as long as Jones is back to full-speed training I think he'll be fine. When someone is out with injury and can't train you should expect to see ring rust.

Jon's talent is so great he could come in rusty and still win handily. So I don't think it will be a factor in the outcome of the match..

He's only been out for a year.
This too. Figure all the early finishes Jones got and the actual ring-time lost is only a few rounds from other years when he wasn't out. Plus these guys are always nicked up. Jones not having an earlier camp and having time to heal might even make him come back stronger than ever. That is actually what I expect is going to happen.

I've never been a huge fan of his but his skill set is undeniable. It got me thinking why anything would be different upon his return. One thing I haven't heard too much about is ring rust. Does anyone think he's been out long enough to suffer from this? Will it be a factor?

I don't think rust will be too much of an issue due to how frequently he trains down there in Albuquerque. I'm more interested to see if all the strength training has changed him as a fighter.

Huge if true.

Please continue to post, the entire fucking internet would be lost without you.

Ring rust tends to become less of an issue, in my opinion, the further one gets into their career. A veteran of big fights has that experience ingrained in their psyche. Also, training at a top notch camp keeps you "in the fire" with other quality fighters, sparring, etc.

signs-of-cocaine-addiction-lg.png

Unless his arms got shorter or he forgot how to eye poke he should be fine

He's only been out for about year. Not enough time for any ring rust. After what Dom cruz has done, ring rust was proven to be a myth and only a part of mentally weak people.

The best example of ring rust is Ali. His years in prime weren't spent facing competition to challenge him as a result of being banned from boxing. I think there's multiple contributors to ring rust, Jones doesn't suffer from any of those really.

Back