Jon Jones is a Genius and this whole thing is a spectacular work!

There wouldn't be an interim title, Jones would be stripped for refusal to defend.

TS - that is actually an interesting thought, I can see your angle being possible.
Why thank you kind sir. It should be noted that I'm not a Jones fan. I'm just not a hater and I've fought and trained enough to know that at that level no one is scared of anyone. And in a scenario where Jones has no opponents other than those two it's not about avoiding them because he can't. It's about sqeezing this lemon for all the juice it's worth. In the words of Floyd "They call it prize fighting because you're fighting for a f***ing prize. Dummy"

Jones is using the only leverage a UFC champ has against the UFC.

If they want him to fight Gus instead of Cormier, they should pay him a bit extra and get it done.

It doesn't matter to me who Jones fights first but clearly a close win or loss against DC sets up a three dog fight for the MW title. If Jones beats Gus again then Gus is out of title contention for a long time. If Jones fights Cormier first and it's close - all three guys are going to cash in on popular trilogies.

EXACTLY my point! Jones ducking and being a pain in the ass on negotiations is a good thing for DC and Gus.

If he could sell ppvs sure, it's genius. What do you call it when everybody hates you and you still can't sell ppvs?

This. Jones is not Floyd. Chael is Floyd. A total heel who puts asses in seats and is a decent person outside their persona.

Jones' antics are real and wearing thin. People are giving less and less a shit about him. He will never, ever hit Rashad PPV numbers again.

Nice theory. If Jones were a company guy, then it would be somewhat plausible - but he's no Iceman (in his words) or Chael P.

He is a company guy, but his company isn't the UFC... that's just a org he contracts for.

His company is Jon Jones Inc.

I completely agree with him trying to either fight Cormier or force a fight between Cormier or Gus before fighting Gus again. It's the right business move for him.

I think Jones knows that Cormier is the real threat, but he also knows that the Gus rematch will be there even if he loses to Cormier--whereas the opposite isn't true. If he's perceived as ducking the Gus rematch that makes the fight even bigger--all upside for him.

If for some reason Gus and Cormier fight each other first, that's also good for him, as it narrows down his challengers and makes it more likely for him to stay on top of the division for longer.

There's already enough hype for this rematch, and its guaranteed to draw in over 1 million buys. Jones doesn't need to create any more hype, and he certainly isn't doing so with this whole nonsense.

Jones is simply avoiding Gus plain and simple. He never wanted to fight both DC and Gus, and has stated before he thought it was unfair that he would have to. He expressed many times before that he thinks DC and Gus should fight in a title eliminator, and this is exactly what he's trying to accomplish.

Did you seriously compare Floyd Mayweather to Chael Sonnen? In order to make that logical Chael would have to be the best p4p fighter in his sport. The comparison to mayweather and Jones is that they are both the Dominant force in their class. And like Jones Floyd established himself as the best early and yet couldnt get the buys acting as the baby face good guy, which is what Jones was doing at the beginning. Remember people didnt hate Jones cause he was cocky they thought he was wack because he was trying to be Black GSP and it seemed phoney. The Cocky jones is the real one. The Dominant Jones is also the real one. That's Mayweather. Chael Sonnen is just a white guy who was in a position where he was smart enough to capitalize on that whiteness. If anything I'd compate Chael to Bernard hopkins when he angered all of Mexico buy stepping on the flag, using racial tension as a way to drive sales to me is too low.

Jones doesn`t sell PPV like Anderson. Not even gunna mention GSP and Brock. But Andy still did much better.

Machida and Rashad had awesome PPVs when they where champs!

People just don`t liek that the P4P best fighter in the world now is Jones. When Fedor, GSP or Andy were in that position, there where many haters, but everyone was a fan in one way or another. Jones doesn`t have that now. Maybe in the future.

Exactly. Just like Floyd knows he has to fight Manny.

You mean the fight everyone has been waiting on for the past 5 years....sorry I don't think so.

Floyd is never fighting Pac. If he didn't do it when they were both at their primes both physically and financially, what makes you think he's going to fight him now?

Horrible analogy.

You mean the fight everyone has been waiting on for the past 5 years....sorry I don't think so.

Floyd is never fighting Pac. If he didn't do it when they were both at their primes both physically and financially, what makes you think he's going to fight him now?

Horrible analogy.

Most people don't know shit about boxing

For the posters saying Jones has ever ducked anybody ... he is not saying he won't fight Gus again. Jones thinks it is better to fight Cormier first. I agree with him.

Is Jones scared of Gus? No more scared than when he stepped into the octagon with legends who were suppose to stop that Jones kids' run.

Jones isn't scared ... he just wants a bit more money. He's seen what's happened to GSP and Anderson Silva. As the longest standing UFC champ it's his duty to grab cash for future champs.

Nah

JJ vs Gus PPV > anything else PPV in terms of $

and

JJ vs Gus + JJ vs DC PPV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JJ vs Gus/DC winner PPV

He is clearly doing the exact opposite of what to do in terms of making PPV money. The OP is long-winded and doesn't address that simple fact once.

Jon Jones is really, really, REALLY not a genius.

He is clearly doing the exact opposite of what to do in terms of making PPV money. The OP is long-winded and doesn't address that simple fact once.

glad someone cut thru the bullshit

It makes no sense, whatsoever. On any level.

Especially since Gus-Jones 2 is already huge, based on the first.

Nah

and

Exactly!

Rematch fights are always huge. Weidman vs Silva 1 had 550k buys, Weidman vs Silva II had 1.25 million buys.

If Jones wants the bigger money fight, he should want to fight Gus, but instead he's avoiding it.

Its pretty obvious Jones is being a duck.

My daddy used to say if it sounds like shit, reads like shit, looks like shit - it's shit....thanx TS for a shit thread!

Nah

and

No they wouldnt, there's not enough mainstream attention to Gus despite that great first fight, Jones wants Liddell-Ortiz 2 numbers. Right now it's just hardocre fans and Foreigners that are huge Gus fans. Jones wants to likely build him up into the great white hope that white mainstream American media and fans tune in for. DC is almost unknown outside the community of hardcore fans yet and still he has the potential for being the best guy at 205 as well. The best scenario is for Gus to either beat DC and fight jones or DC to beat Gus and fight Jones. Because Jones still fights them multiple times accept in doing it this way you build all three fighters up to a house hold name type of status. Seriously is DC going to lose to anybody other than Gus or Jones? Likewise for Gus who beats him outside of Jones and DC? They stand above the rest of the division, so anytime they fight there should be a ton of attention and title implications. If you just do the straight JJ vs Gus + JJ vs DC PPV scenario you suggest, the only guy to become famous is the winner at the end. Legacies are not built on that. It's the fight business. This is how you build a rivalry, wich is better than building a fight.

Back