Jon Jones and Renan Barao lead the list of most current Top 10 victories

fedemma

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This is not to make an statement or anything, but I was just interested about this, some fighters like GSP fought always Top 5 at their time. But this maybe shows how dominant they are of their current Top 10.

Heres the guys the beat:

Demetrious Johnson (4)

1 Joseph Benavidez (convincingly but close)
2 John Dodson (convincingly but close)
3 Ian McCall (convincingly but close)
4 John Moraga (dominant)

Renan Barao (5)

2 Urijah Faber (dominant)
3 Michael McDonald (dominant)
4 Eddie Wineland (dominant)
6 Brad Pickett (dominant)
7 Scott Jorgensen (dominant)

Jose Aldo (4)

1 Chad Mendes (dominant)
3 Frankie Edgar (close)
4 Cub Swanson (dominant)
5 Chan Sung Jung (convincingly)

Anthony Pettis (2)

1 Benson Henderson (dominant)
10 Donald Cerrone (dominant)

Georges St Pierre (2)

2 Carlos Condit (convincingly)
7 Nick Diaz (convincingly)

Chris Weidman (2)

1 Anderson Silva (dominant)
5 Mark Munoz (dominant)

Jon Jones (5)

1 Alexander Gustafsson (close)
4 Rashad Evans (dominant)
5 Lyoto Machida (dominant)
8 Chael Sonnen (dominant)
10 Mauricio Rua (dominant)

Cain Velasquez (2)

1 Junior dos Santos (dominant)
4 Antonio Silva (dominant)

So, is Barao the N

I think list are stupid but if i had to make one

1.Barao
2.aldo
3.jones

Barao really is a sick fighter and underappreciated to say the least

I still don't know why some people here try to push the idea that Aldo x Edgar was close. It wasn't.
Aldo was never in any sort of danger, clearly won 3 rounds and the other was close but clearly his too. Edgar only won the 4th because of a single td...

"Chan Sung Jung (convincingly)
won every round + the finish

Frankie Edgar (close)
49-46

lol

Alright sorry about the Aldo one, I should have put "cinvincingly but close" like Demetrious ones, meaning he won but the fight wasn't a one sided demonstration.

GSP's victories over current top ten is low because all of his previous top ten contenders haven't been able to maintain the highlevel that he has.

Barao no. 1 P4P based on the last what, year?

Ok.

TS is completely insane. Only a crazy person could think that GSP's win over Condit was more clear than Aldo's over Edgar...

LOL....and Barao isnt even the real champ...with wins and 3 title defences.....ridiculous.

In b4 idiots whine...

"Why focus on rankings? They're completely subjective."

"But-but-but you have to focus on how each guy was ranked at the time they fought."

I get your point, TS. Nice snapshot of which champs have most thoroughly cleaned out the current crop of contenders. Nothing more, nothing less. Good thread.

This is not to make an statement or anything, but I was just interested about this, some fighters like GSP fought always Top 5 at their time. But this maybe shows how dominant they are of their current Top 10.

Heres the guys the beat:

Demetrious Johnson (4)

1 Joseph Benavidez (convincingly but close)
2 John Dodson (convincingly but close)
3 Ian McCall (convincingly but close)
4 John Moraga (dominant)

Renan Barao (5)

2 Urijah Faber (dominant)
3 Michael McDonald (dominant)
4 Eddie Wineland (dominant)
6 Brad Pickett (dominant)
7 Scott Jorgensen (dominant)

Jose Aldo (4)

1 Chad Mendes (dominant)
3 Frankie Edgar (close)
4 Cub Swanson (dominant)
5 Chan Sung Jung (convincingly)

Anthony Pettis (2)

1 Benson Henderson (dominant)
10 Donald Cerrone (dominant)

Georges St Pierre (2)

2 Carlos Condit (convincingly)
7 Nick Diaz (convincingly)

Chris Weidman (2)

1 Anderson Silva (dominant)
5 Mark Munoz (dominant)

Jon Jones (5)

1 Alexander Gustafsson (close)
4 Rashad Evans (dominant)
5 Lyoto Machida (dominant)
8 Chael Sonnen (dominant)
10 Mauricio Rua (dominant)

Cain Velasquez (2)

1 Junior dos Santos (dominant)
4 Antonio Silva (dominant)

So, is Barao the N

I still don't know why some people here try to push the idea that Aldo x Edgar was close. It wasn't.
Aldo was never in any sort of danger, clearly won 3 rounds and the other was close but clearly his too. Edgar only won the 4th because of a single td...

He landed more than Aldo, avoided more strikes, and only let Aldo land 5-6 leg kicks.

Many of these fighters are either no longer top ten or weren't at the time of the fights.

Al lot of these "convincingly and dominant" victories were not. Aldo looked to be on his way to a potential tko loss againzt KZ due to being gassed and hurt, but lucked out on the dislocation. Barao was rocked several times against McDonald, and lost a couple of rounds, but did get the finish. Barao lost the first round against Wineland and lucked out on a bad ref call, can't be dominant due to that finish. Jones/Evans was more convincingly as it was uneventful; Jones clearly won, but there wasn't much in the way of damage done. Jones/Machida was a finish, but not dominant due to the first round being Machida's; I'd mark it as a finish. GSP/Condit was close, Condit was doing more damage from the bottom than GSP on top much of the time. Barao/Faber was convincingly, it was an uneventful fight; Barao clearly won, but didn't do any real damage. Dominant to me is shutting down the opponent and doing real damage, not just getting a finish; Cain vs. JDS was dominant, as was DJ/Moraga, they completely shut down their opponents and did real damage to them. A finish alone does not call for domination, you lose a round or two, but get a finish the next round, you won, but you didn't shut down your opponent's game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back