• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Jon Jones' Advisor Meeting With UFC To Negotiate Heavyweight Title Fight - With Or Without Ngannou

A lot of MMA fighters say a lot of shit. TBH if you asked me if I thought the Colby and Mas fight would even happen, I'd say no because of all the times it hasn't happened. Yet here we are. Jon has mentioned it before, but I never seen him actively bulk up and try to get there. How could he in reality? He was defending and fighting pretty frequently before his legal troubles. I guess I'm letting my optimism shine, but I think we see Jon fight this year at HW

Again, we have nothing else besides what a fighter says. And his words a decade ago were "I'm definitely moving up to HW by late 2013".

He also did bulk up during one of his suspensions and there was a lot of speculation.

This may be the time he does it. No one knows. But at the same time pretending like we shouldn't be skeptical of his words is laughable. And I will also happily make fun of anyone that takes his words at face value.

So he isn't a wife beater and everything is cool then?
I forget what happened with that?
She never filed charges?
Did she ever make a statement?

So his next opponent will be a man then?

Either way, HW is just another test and Jon Jones knows how to get positive test results.

y'all lying if you don't want to see what he can do at HW.

Jones was ducking heavyweight years before Ngannou was champion.
I'm well aware, I made a compilation thread on it awhile back:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-move-up-to-heavyweight-2012-present.4138488/

He's shown interest this whole time. What world are you living in?
He had interest in fighting Francis. Are you paying attention? Francis has been in a contract dispute with the UFC for over one year. So has Jones. This shit goes together.
Jones ducked Heavyweight by way of pricing himself out, and he did that as soon as Ngannou won the title (and demonstrated a modicum of wrestling against Miocic); now that Ngannou isn't planning on re-signing with the UFC (which is a lot more concrete than simply having a contract dispute), Jones is all of a sudden open to negotiate his asking price down; it's ducking trying to be dressed up as "money" and "gaining weight".

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-move-up-to-heavyweight-2012-present.4138488/

Jones ducked Heavyweight by way of pricing himself out, and he did that as soon as Ngannou won the title (and demonstrated a modicum of wrestling against Miocic); now that Ngannou isn't planning on re-signing with the UFC (which is a lot more concrete than simply having a contract dispute), Jones is all of a sudden open to negotiate his asking price down; it's ducking trying to be dressed up as "money" and "gaining weight".
I’m not saying Jones is overly excited about fighting at heavyweight at all. He’s not. But this contract situation in the UFC is as bad as it gets. It’s worse than it’s ever been.

You don't know that, a lot of people are saying it's because he was secretly suspended for PEDs

It's all speculation, I don't know how you could feel confident he is purposefully pricing himself out to avoid Francis

He knew him and Francis would be a draw, he's willing to come down because him vs any other HW would be less of a draw. Sounds like Dana and Co have been low balling him for years as he was literally complaining about it in 2018 according to your thread. Maybe Dana is to blame

I'm sure this will have to be on his terms. Jon vs Glover II for interim HW. You heard it here first

Kind of Bullshit. The winner of Tuivasa and Black Beast deserve the next shot. Jon is winless at HW

Couldnt jones meet with the ufc himself? doesnt he have someone to give him a lift?

The UFC will defend its financial interests first.

Fan interest in super fights are considered less important.

In 2013 I was watching him defend his lhw belt.

He could have just stayed at lhw.

You think he saw easy fights at hw when he vacated?

no, i think he saw hard fights at LHW and decided to vacate before losing to somebody like Reyes and figured he'd throw his hat in at HW to try and make the most out of his first actual loss. he knows the writing is on the wall, his days are numbered and if he doesn't quit sooner rather than later that L is coming for his 0.

Lies all Lies.

Fuck you Jones

Reactions: HHJ
I’m not saying Jones is overly excited about fighting at heavyweight at all. He’s not. But this contract situation in the UFC is as bad as it gets. It’s worse than it’s ever been.
If we're speaking in general terms, that's not relevant, because we're talking about Jones specifically (who has been making PPV points for the last ten years and has been involved in more controversy and cost the company more money than any fighter on the roster).

You don't know that, a lot of people are saying it's because he was secretly suspended for PEDs

It's all speculation, I don't know how you could feel confident he is purposefully pricing himself out to avoid Francis
I don't believe he's suspended because suspensions are no longer on the table for him anymore, a third strike equals a lifetime ban.

He priced himself out because he asked for upfront money that even McGregor doesn't get, and Jones is nowhere near McGregor's drawing power.

I actually broke down the revenue and expenses of a possible Ngannou vs. Jones fight using Nash's numbers and there'd essentially only be $30-50 million left over to split between the UFC, Ngannou, and Jones.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...and-why-jones-is-pricing-himself-out.4178570/

So even if the UFC split the profits three-ways and their fight sells on the low end, Jones has said that $10 million is "way too low".

He knew him and Francis would be a draw, he's willing to come down because him vs any other HW would be less of a draw. Sounds like Dana and Co have been low balling him for years as he was literally complaining about it in 2018 according to your thread. Maybe Dana is to blame
I'm not sure how Jones was complaining about pay in 2018 given that he wouldn't even entertain the idea of fighting Miocic because he thought the public didn't know him (meanwhile Ngannou drew a measly 350k buys against Miocic despite the card having Cormier as a co-headline, and UFC 260 had the lowest ratings of 2021 at the time). And even when Cormier was the Heavyweight champion, Jones outright ducked; Jones literally said that he didn't want to fight Cormier because the latter had the advantage in that weight class.

It's amazing that Jon still has fans on this site. Dude is probably the biggest loser in the sport. It says a lot about the people who are fans of his....

He's shown interest this whole time. What world are you living in?
What makes you show that?

DC showed actual interest in fighting at HW. Six months after beating Volkan he challenged Stipe for the HW belt. Its been nearly two years since Jones fought...

Ngannou is injured for 9 months and suddenly Jones wants to fight in the hw division ..

If we're speaking in general terms, that's not relevant, because we're talking about Jones specifically (who has been making PPV points for the last ten years and has been involved in more controversy and cost the company more money than any fighter on the roster).

I don't believe he's suspended because suspensions are no longer on the table for him anymore, a third strike equals a lifetime ban.

He priced himself out because he asked for upfront money that even McGregor doesn't get, and Jones is nowhere near McGregor's drawing power.

I actually broke down the revenue and expenses of a possible Ngannou vs. Jones fight using Nash's numbers and there'd essentially only be $30-50 million left over to split between the UFC, Ngannou, and Jones.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...and-why-jones-is-pricing-himself-out.4178570/

So even if the UFC split the profits three-ways and their fight sells on the low end, Jones has said that $10 million is "way too low".

I'm not sure how Jones was complaining about pay in 2018 given that he wouldn't even entertain the idea of fighting Miocic because he thought the public didn't know him (meanwhile Ngannou drew a measly 350k buys against Miocic despite the card having Cormier as a co-headline, and UFC 260 had the lowest ratings of 2021 at the time). And even when Cormier was the Heavyweight champion, Jones outright ducked; Jones literally said that he didn't want to fight Cormier because the latter had the advantage in that weight class.
Yeah I don't believe the suspension thing, a lot of people on here are sure of it though lol

Good thread, I agree that makes sense, but Jones may still feel like he deserves that, it doesn't mean he's throwing out a number he knows they have to reject so he won't have to fight Francis.

Back