Movies JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX (Dragonlord's Review - "Bombs...")

If you have seen JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX, how would you rate it?

• 10 - Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - Great

• 8 - Good

• 6 - Decent

• 4 - Poor

• 2 - Terrible

• Total voters

I'm struggling to think of the last time a direct sequel (2) has received such a negative reception in compared the a well-liked original (1).

Its got to be a LONG time, like over a decade.

I'm open to hearing suggestions because I'm going blank.

I'm struggling to think of the last time a direct sequel (2) has received such a negative reception in compared the a well-liked original (1).

Wonder Woman 2 was a fairly steep drop off as well, at least with fans.

This is what I am talking about. The first one takes aim at 'incels' or whatever, which could be construed political, the rest aren't particularly interested in that but recognises how some fans of the first might be angry and talks about how it subverted expectations. More than a hundred reviews now with most saying it's a bad/disjointed film and you're desperately searching for anything you can pigeonhole an agenda into. Give it a rest already.

6UhYINixbKCqzFs_1728138618.jpg

My bad, I'll make sure to keep my posts agenda free like yours in the future lmao

That’s shocking. There are a lot of really bad comic book movies.

Thats what had me worried… will probably never see it unless I watch it at someone’s house or what have you
I read somewhere that Lady Gaga had influence and demanded more musical numbers which resulted in a rewrite of the script. Would explain parts of the disconnect.

Imo Harley is a good example of went wrong with the movie.

People now write about that Phillips wanted to show the middle finger to certain fans of the first movie but honestly he shows the middle finger to everyone.. If you wanted more Joker well its a movie basically without Joker.
You wanted Harley: Its a movie with without giving "Lee" a chance to really be Harley. You are a DC Fan?: it just abuses the DC universe to trick fans into a movie that has no connection to it. Its an Arthur Fleck movie. You wanted more exploration of the psyche and its societal / individual roots. Well its marketed like that as a psychogram but the movie only quotes the first one regarding that. Otherwise there is only surface. Paramount also got f**** with basically no trilogy possible after that. You enjoy musicals: It doesnt work as a musical because of how disjointed the songs are from the rest. Look up musicals like Cats, West Side story..ect to see the difference.

if you are that annoyed by your own movie that you deliberate destroy most parts of the movie to annoy people (dont think the weak narrative was planned) . Dont do it.

I would say the only clientele that benefits from this movie is if you look at it only from a technical point of view . The lighting, the camera work. Thats exceptional. Its the best filmed worst movie I know of.

Last edited:
Honestly even though im not that interested in the premise as a whole and the sequel seemed kind of pointless I honestly liked it. I haven't watched any reviews or anything like that on the movie so I went in fresh but know that the reception wasn't great.

I did feel like the director/writers were being abit pretentious with the movie at times with scenes that didn't really fit and seemed out of place (example might be Kill Bill with the anime thing) but the movie had enough fun bits and silliness to mitigate the negative effects of that stuff. I thought the performances were alright; mostly positive but overall kind of forgetful.

The musical shit didn't really bother me to be honest and I thought the plot as a whole was pretty stupid in order for alot of the movie to happen.

Overall ill give it a 6.5 out of 10. Nothing special nothing horrendous.

I hope Todd Phillips loses money on this movie and nobody wants to work with him, pull your head out of your ass dude

Honestly I wouldnt recommend. I am no fan of the first movie but even I was very annoyed how he destroyed that ones legacy much like dumb and dumber destroyed Game of thrones. If you like the first one a lot dont watch it,

Yeah I thought the 1st one was awesome.. and I already know pretty much everything about the 2nd one -the themes, the ‘surprise’ ending, the musical stuff.. still, I’ll probably give it a go to watch the train wreck. Most reviews seem to at least point out the performances are good, and the movie is really well shot so I can at least probably enjoy those aspects.

Bottom line is, because the studio wanted a sequel and this director had 1st right of refusal he decided to helm this and tear down the 1st one rather than let some new random director step in and try to continue his story. And from that perspective I can kind of understand his situation. He made close to a masterpiece the 1st time around and wanted to leave it at that but the studio only cares about banking on a commodity so he said ‘fuck it, I’ll do it but it will be so fucked no one will ever bother with a 3rd film..’

After analyzing the movie for a bit, here’s my take.

I think one of the main issues is the inconsistency of blurred reality from the 1st movie to the second movie.

Let me explain.
In the first, Arthur imagines a bunch of great things are happening to him which eventually gets revealed that all of it was made up in his head. The jolt of delusion and psychotic break is part of what made it awesome.

The musicals that happened in the 2nd left audiences with a lack suspense because we knew that those were happening inside his head, thus creating disappointment in the plot.

Back