Joint Supplements

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by roccity, Mar 17, 2008.

1. roccity

roccity White Belt

Has anyone used any joint supplements such as Glucosamine and/or Chondroitin? In the mornings or when I sit still for an extended period of time my left ankle gets stiff. It's fine once it warms up/starts moving but I'm wondering if any supplementation would help or if it's just a by product of getting 'old'.
    Thanks in advance

2. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

They cause a swelling of the cartilage which adds additional buffer for the joints. They could help but you have to keep in mind that you won't see instant results. It'll take 4 weeks or so when you realize your joints just don't ache so much.

I use it because my knees give me problems.

3. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Have you noticed any negative effects since using?

4. theNuge

theNuge Brown Belt

Where do you get yours?

5. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

I've experienced none. These supplements generally don't have negative side effects. Nothing noteworthy at least.

I usually go to shopping.google.com and look for the cheapest price. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/gcm.html is trustworthy company and has a good price.

6. SAINTWS6

SAINTWS6 White Belt

Sent you a PM, roccity

7. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

I notice most of them have sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate in them. sodium benzoate is believed to be responsible for making soft drinks as bad as they are in addition to other things in them. Both potassium and sodium benzoate when coupled with vitamin C creates benzene which is a known carcinogen. Despite this, there has been no evidence that harm has been caused to users or is it just because there havent been enough long term studies on them? I also recall reading that since most sources of glucosamine and stuff like that come from shellfish is a chance that long term users can build up mercury in their system. can anyone dispute this and prove me wrong? I have wanted to start taking these supplements again but stopped after reading this information and looking at the ingredients

8. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

I don't see either benzoate as a part of any of the Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM supplements that I've used.
    Vitamin C is not an ingredient either so I don't think benzene is an issue.

You might be concerned if you have a product that contains both.
    I have never seen one.

This link talks about glucosamine and shellfish allergies

The product I provided is refined from crab and shrimp which has a maximum of .061PPM of Mercury. Canned Tuna has .118PPM of Mercury.

I'd consider the potential mercury content of glucosamine to be insignificant but I've never been one to avoid seafood for fear of mercury contamination.

9. D DIzzle

D DIzzle White Belt

A couple other products for you to research...

Universal Nutrition Animal Flex - has a huge following, tons of positive reviews. I just started taking this this weekend.

PrimaForce Cissus

USPlabs Super Cissus

10. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

Been taking the Animal Flex for one year, and love it. I'm convinced it helped with connective tissue repair when I damaged my biceps tendon one year ago.

11. BJJ Coffee Drinker

sounds nice. what brand do you use?

12. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

Prolab in the past. A direct link to the product is in my second post.

Now I get it from my multi-vitamin - Orange Triad.

Keep in mind when taking joint supplements that most manufacturers package them at 500mg glucosamine per serving. To be effective you're going to need 2g glucosamine per day.

That means 4 tablets per day with the Prolab product. I normally take 2 tablets in the morning and 2 tablets some time around lunch just to space it a little.

13. BJJ Coffee Drinker

so none of these supplements you take contain sodium and potassium benzoate? I am aware most joint supplements do not contain vit c but most have the benzoates in them. Would it then mix with the vit c from other foods or supplements you took and still create benzene?

usually products that have either of the benzoates and also contain vit c are usually multivitamins, including source of life brand which I thought was one of the better ones since it was recommended in another thread.

14. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

I don't see it in the products that I use.

As far as benzene forming in the body, I don't *think* it's an issue. But I know nothing about the process... You'd have to research that one.

Check out Orange Triad for your multi. It's got a full serving of glucosamine, chondroitin and msm in it.

15. BJJ Coffee Drinker

has anyone tried vegetarian glucosamine chondroitin? I had it for a short while but then I shattered the bottle accidently. anyone heard of it's effectiveness?

16. ChingChang

ChingChang White Belt

I've been taking Controlled Labs Orange Triad multivitamin for at least 6 months, it has glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM in it, but I didn't really notice an improvment. I've had bad shoulders for years, they crack and pop when I rotate my arms. A month ago I started taking NOW Glucosamine, Chondroitin + MSM (in addition to Orange Triad) and I've definitely noticed improvements. Shoulders never hurt when I move them, and the cracking has stopped. Sometimes I can hear popping but it is much better now.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/gcm.html
    $26 for 2 month supply

17. roccity

roccity White Belt

18. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

There's something about the added potassium in the NOW product that makes me think the glucosamine is lower quality.

If I remember right, there are three different types of processed glucosamine and the potassium is used to stabilize the lower quality versions.

It's been years since I read about it. I could be mistaken but I don't think I am.

19. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I have about 400g of cissuc kicking about.

I'm going to do some mega dosing for a couple of weeks (5-10g a day) to see if it helps my knee which I jared on sunday and is now hurting