Joint manipulation X Joint locking

I doubt you're going to be in a one on one fight in a bar. Since you'll mostly likely have the guy's buddies backing him up joint manipulation is pure crap. You're much better off knocking the guy out or at least hitting him hard enough to take the fight out of him.

I would say you could use some of the same sumbimissions we use in bjj, just in standing position for control. Variations on the kimura (twisting the arm behind the back), RNC/headlock, Kasa Gatame, etc.

mmahamzah said:
in that situation striking is the best

yup, but it really depends of how the legal system work in each country

I work as a security guard in a Public Hospital, so it is my job to deal with unruly people who are usually, but not always high/drunk, they go crazy and try to hurt people. No matter what tho', I can't hurt them, this means no punching or choking or arm locks. I have yet to have to use a "come-along" wrist lock or chicken wing to immobilize someone. But I can see that it would be a usefull skill to have. Mostly I control the patients with hold-downs untill the police arrive to arrest them. I trust my hold downs and I think, in this situation, they are safer than a wristlock which might hurt the patient, and land the hospital in a lawsuit.

I worked at a Juvenile offender program and dealt with gangbangers and crazies too (not as many resources for juvies). I used jointlocks only when I was pretty sure the kid(80%percent of whom were bigger than me) was NOT going to TRY to hurt me(shit happens). As far as laws are concerned you have to keep that in mind but I have long beleived that even armbars of the BJJ variety will get your head kicked in, get you bitten, gouged and etc on the street. So I try knock folks TFO. Or choke them out. Render them unconcious is what I'm saying. Don't pull guard and try to show them your effing spider gaurd. Thats for the ring where there is two guys and a ref and rules. (still a bitch move)
Aikido can be very effective.......if you have twenty years to train before you plan on using it.

You're right there arent many ways to truly immobilize an opponent in such a situation but a simple RNC, Katahajime or Kimura would do it. Even wristlocks or simple Carlos Newton schoolyard headlocks work fine, although not very pretty and BJJ-esque, the setup is vital and knowing BJJ would help this immensly.

theProdigy said:
You're right there arent many ways to truly immobilize an opponent in such a situation but a simple RNC, Katahajime or Kimura would do it. Even wristlocks or simple Carlos Newton schoolyard headlocks work fine, although not very pretty and BJJ-esque, the setup is vital and knowing BJJ would help this immensly.

The kimura would be the best bet out all that other than the RNC which is arguably a non-injuring technique. I've never been hurt by one but the police can't use them in alot of states because a few dumbasses have killed people with it.
Knee on chest or back is my favorite to immobilize without injury. Those of you who roll know how much this sucks to be done on you and how suprizingly hard it is to counter if the guy has a good base/balance.
NON-LETHAL/INJURIOUS TECHNIQUE IS IMPORTANT! But don't use it against guys anywhere near your size unless: It's your drunk buddy.
It's a child/woman.
You want to get humiliated.

Back