Johny Hendricks doesn’t get enough credit for retiring GSP

It just shows how overrated ww division was during gsp era.

All it took to push gsp to the limit n make him retire in his prime was a gatekeeper who can’t cut it in today’s ww division

Lol more like the other way around.

Johnny post fight record : 3 wins 6 losses

GSP post fight record : 1 championship win above his natural weightclass
You seriously think this is a good argument?

If Hendricks had the luxury to "retire" and cherry pick an opponent I'm sure he would've fared better

Instead, he was fighting killers such as Lawler, Wonderboy, Costa ...

That, and GSP knew exactly when he was going to be tested prior to the Bisping fight. Never has GSP fought under legit out of competition testing. It is very easy to time a cycle that way

Hendricks had that fight in the bag but I always hated how he costed in the 5th round, he was way too relax, laughing and letting GSP taking him down. I still think he won tho...

Hendricks ran out of gas.

It is possible that Hendricks and GSP agreed to coast on different rounds (ie GSP coasted 2nd and 4th, Hendricks coasted 3rd and 5th), but unlikely. Far more likely that both wanted to win, and Hendricks ran out of gas before GSP did.

You seriously think this is a good argument?

If Hendricks had the luxury to "retire" and cherry pick an opponent I'm sure he would've fared better

Instead, he was fighting killers such as Lawler, Wonderboy, Costa ...

That, and GSP knew exactly when he was going to be tested prior to the Bisping fight. Never has GSP fought under legit out of competition testing. It is very easy to time a cycle that way

Lol @ chery picking the champion in a weightclass above him!

Hendricks ran out of gas.

It is possible that Hendricks and GSP agreed to coast on different rounds (ie GSP coasted 2nd and 4th, Hendricks coasted 3rd and 5th), but unlikely. Far more likely that both wanted to win, and Hendricks ran out of gas before GSP did.
I don't remember him to gas that bad, he seems to be very content and confortable going into the 5th, I have to admit I haven't rewatched it since

I don't remember him to gas that bad, he seems to be very content and confortable going into the 5th, I have to admit I haven't rewatched it since

Both seemed to take rest rounds. GSP took the 2nd and 4th off, Hendricks the 3rd and 5th. I suspect the pace in the first was more than either expected, so they started pacing themselves. But given that no professional athlete paces himself at the end of any event, I assume Hendricks just ran out of gas.

It was a pretty curious fight tho. The first round was the only one both seemed to give it 100%. After that they took turns. My guess is that the first round exhausted both of them. If you're into conspiracy theories I suppose the fight could have been fixed (friends who gamble say that), but I doubt it, pacing themselves explains it quite adequately in my opinion.

The other interesting thing is that other than superficial skin damage (the kind of scrapes and cuts that used to be normal for kids at recess), neither took any damage at all. Nothing close to a knock down, or wobbled. Or anything close to a submission by either. Perhaps they had too much respect for each other to really let lose, or again, just their pacing after the first round -- both realized they didn't have enough left in the tank to really try anything after the first.

Last edited:
It just shows how overrated ww division was during gsp era.

All it took to push gsp to the limit n make him retire in his prime was a gatekeeper who can’t cut it in today’s ww division
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Rumor is GSP was going to retire win or lose. You could tell he was almost relieved to lose and call it quits and had a look of "awww fuck" when he won. Due to the boos and negative reaction, he decided not to get his retirement speech.

yeah... but media is often biased towards the "dominant big names".
And they are often wrong as well.

heck, we all are a lot of times, and I don't think they are any different.
IMHO it may be just depending on the person's background and how they see a fight.
Just as an example, take Machida.
While he was an unbeaten dominant champion, he was "elusive".
But after he lost a few fights, his "elusiveness" became "running away" and he was forced to attack more, changing his style and hurting his own game in the process.

But I bet that, if he continued winning, his "elusiveness" would be even more deadly, awarding him fights where he would not be deserving of a win...

Make sense?

Back