Johnson happy for Cejudo, flyweights, focused on new chapter

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Demetrious Johnson has moved on from the UFC's flyweight division just as much as it has moved on from him.

The UFC's 125-pound weight class took center stage last week, in a way it never did during Johnson's six-year reign as champion. Henry Cejudo defended the title against TJ Dillashaw on the UFC's first event on ESPN, and both athletes were promoted heavily beforehand.

Meanwhile, Johnson, who parted ways with the UFC for Asia-based promotion One Championship months ago, spent all of last week in Japan, filming promotional material for One. He says he didn't have any thoughts about his old division moving on, other than joy for Cejudo.
"It was never my division, it's the UFC's division," Johnson told ESPN. "I've moved on to bigger and better things, in my opinion. I am legitimately happy for Henry Cejudo, TJ Dillashaw and the flyweight division.

"Once I became part of One Championship, that's where my focus went. But I'm happy for the opportunity those guys got. They deserve it."

Johnson (27-3-1) will make his One debut against Yuya Wakamatsu (10-3) March 31 in Tokyo, at an event fittingly titled "A New Era." The card will also feature former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez.

Few would blame Johnson if he were to feel bitter toward his old home. He was the flyweight division from 2012-18, defending the belt a UFC-record 11 times. None of those fights seemed to resonate with the public, however, as much as Cejudo's did on Saturday.

But Johnson, 32, said he is completely content with how things unfolded -- and it doesn't hurt that he is exactly where he wants to be. Many of his favorite MMA fighters growing up -- Fedor Emelianenko, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua, Mirko Cro Cop -- rose to prominence in Asia.

"It's not about trying to create drama over here," Johnson said. "I always felt like in the UFC, your star power is based on how many pay-per-views you sell. When Dana White comes to you and says, 'We're thinking about getting rid of your division,' and you're on your ninth title defense, it kind of makes you wonder. But you never have to worry about that here. It's a different vibe.

"When you're not worried about selling a f---ing pay-per-view and just competing -- and everyone is happy with it -- that's what it's all about."

Johnson didn't even catch the fight live in Japan, but he learned the result from his wife shortly after it ended.

For the record, he and Cejudo are 1-1 against each other. Johnson knocked him out in 2016, and Cejudo evened the score with a split decision in August. Johnson says he'd never rule out a third meeting, but it would have to take place in Asia -- where he's happy.

"At the end of the day, you never know what could happen," Johnson said. "I'll tell you what, though, I'll never go back to North America. So the only way we'd compete against each other is if he came over here. It all depends on what happens in the UFC. A lot of things would have to fall in order, but it's not out of the realm of possibility."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...y-henry-cejudo-flyweights-focused-new-chapter

Mighty Mouse could have beaten TJ

Its a shame that he didn't believe in himself

Flew all the way across the world to duck that fight

Classy as always from DJ, he’s a damn good dude.

It’s a shame the fans never appreciated him, he had an amazing run.

- Defended his belt actively
- Never got into trouble
- Stayed in his lane didn’t run his mouth
- Was dominant af and finished fights

ONE is better suited for him he can just scrap and not have to worry about anything else and the fans over there will appreciate him.

Keep it classy DJ. Fuck the haters.

- Never got into trouble

ONE is better suited for him he can just scrap and not have to worry about anything else and the fans over there will appreciate him.

Imagine if MM was the one who beat TJ

Lots of people around here would probably be calling him GOAT right now

If he did a lot of people would, GOAT is so subjective to whatever is most recent in the minds of mma fans though it’s always fluctating based off who put up the most recent performance.

Objectively speaking there is a case for any of the following:

Fedor
GSP
Jones
Silva
Aldo
DJ
DC

Ultimately it all depends on the criteria of what you want to go with.

I think any fighter who losses to an opponent kind of likes seeing their opponent win their next fight.

Cejudo beating TJ makes DJ's loss look less bad.

In my opinion he is the GOAT mixed martial artist as far as being a complete martial artist with the most evolved and technical skillset goes.

In my opinion he is the GOAT mixed martial artist as far as being a complete martial artist with the most evolved and technical skillset goes.

I feel like he is the most complete fighter we’ve ever seen in MMA.

Bu..bu...but TJ! Bu...bu.. he never beat anyone I’ve heard of!

Doubt it severely.

More than likely “TJ was drained from the weight cut. He’d (DJ) get wrecked at 135lbs”....

Doubt it severely.

More than likely “TJ was drained from the weight cut. He’d (DJ) get wrecked at 135lbs”....

UFC fans will always find something to hate, you can never convince otherwise

"When you're not worried about selling a f---ing pay-per-view and just competing... that's what it's all about."

<WellThere>

- Never got into trouble

He’s literally the best champion you could ask for minus GSP (GSP was the same in many regards except he had star power). Not sure what more people could want, he fought all the top contenders, he ruled the division, he finished fights. Pretty much one of the best fighters you could ask for ever and he still got shit on cuz he’s 125 lbs on the scale.

I'm a MM supporter, but the guy missed out on a huge opportunity by blatantly ducking TJ. After getting steamrolled by Cejudo, and in light of TJ formerly be steamrolled by Dodson, it's readily apparent that TJ can't handle fighters who are faster than he is.

Well, MM made Cejudo and Dodson look relatively slow. Given the monumental speed advantage MM would have had against TJ, and TJ's apparent weakness is such situations, it's reasonable to believe that MM would have carved TJ up, as well. Instead, he avoided TJ in an apparent attempt to protect his title defense streak and fought Borg. Then he fought Cejudo, who was seemingly an easier opponent.

Monumental mistake.

He’s literally the best champion you could ask for minus GSP (GSP was the same in many regards except he had star power). Not sure what more people could want, he fought all the top contenders, he ruled the division, he finished fights. Pretty much one of the best fighters you could ask for ever and he still got shit on cuz he’s 125 lbs on the scale.

Well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back