John Olivers WWE rant. Can it effect the UFC?

eon001

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I know very little about the WWE but I've listened to some excerpts of John's WWE piece and it sounds eerily similar to Dana's business practice's, specifically the independent contractor and partial health care.

He's trying to rally the fans to lean on the WWE to effect change. I'm curious to see how this develops and if the UFC fandom can take similar cues if it works.

EDIT: For the Americans that can view the video -

If you live outside the states (Like me) and don't have a VPN, there's some vlogger breakdown videos.

Last edited:
I know very little about the WWE but I've listened to some excerpts of John's WWE piece and it sounds eerily similar to Dana's business practice's, specifically the independent contractor and partial health care.

He's trying to rally the fans to lean on the WWE to effect change. I'm curious to see how this develops and if the UFC fandom can take similar cues if it works.

Can't find the full thing online, but I've caught a few vids that discuss it.

wGnll1tT2VLAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png

He should effect change on this abomination of facial hair

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that episode, it was almost as if with relatively minor tweaks (obviously: image, footage & name swapping) it could've been unaltered from then on and been entirely about the UFC.

You can find the full thing on HBO Go or HBONOW

HBO has a whole lot of good stuff. Hit me up if you need reccomendations.

If you aren't already subscribed or w/e it's best to do it now and get your full before running the risk of being too late, they recently made big changes and it is going to affect these apps eventually if not soon.

imo, John Oliver and Co. as well as Bill Maher and his team, are fucking hilarious and usually come across as geniuses if not good-hearted and silly af (especially John and his friends, still got nothing but love for Bill & team though)

Btw, if you're not familiar with them, John's show is called Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Bill Maher's show is called Real Time with Bill Maher.

Both are great, and Bill gets love from all sides of the isles except for the most extreme of extremists (Ben Affleck is full of shit and knows nothing about anything) & this isn't to say that John Oliver isn't as deserving if not even moreso than Bill, when it comes to that level of appreciation. Hell, he wins Emmys...

Last edited:
John Oliver is a beta male cuck retard.

It’s a well done segment and it’s pretty funny. He’s right and all of his points apply to the UFC too.

John Oliver is a beta male cuck retard.

Jesse Ventura (who is featured in the segment) has been pushing this for years. He’s like the least beta cuck person to ever live. You may not agree with him politically but Oliver and his team are pretty thorough and he’s usually worth checking out, if only for politically neutral topics like the one we’re discussing.

And if you disagree, then call Jesse Ventura a beta cuck retard. He’ll rip your arms off and he’s like 65. Fuckin’ love The Body.

The majority of MMA fighters lack the the intelligence to grasp the fact that a union would be beneficial. They'd rather tell reporters how broke they are, how little they get paid, and continue to fight for peanuts and shit looking belt that tells the world they're good at fighting. I'd hate to say it, but professional wrestlers are smarter than MMA fighters. Pro wrestlers at least have to use some sort of psychology to be able to manipulate the crowd to like or dislike them.

Not surprising. The UFC's business model was practically a clone of the WWE business model...Tough Enough -> The Ultimate Fighter, TV building PPV, WWE channel-->UFC channel, WWE eating ECW+WCW--> UFC eating WEC+PRIDE, buildup of the women's division... the ESPN contract is skewing them differently now, but the similarities are clear and obvious.

I'm curious why you linked editorials of the actual video but didn't link the actual video?

I'm curious why you linked editorials of the actual video but didn't link the actual video?

Couldn't find them. I like in the UK. I think there's some kind of regional lock out in the search. I can't even view the video in your post.

The majority of MMA fighters lack the the intelligence to grasp the fact that a union would be beneficial. They'd rather tell reporters how broke they are, how little they get paid, and continue to fight for peanuts and shit looking belt that tells the world they're good at fighting. I'd hate to say it, but professional wrestlers are smarter than MMA fighters. Pro wrestlers at least have to use some sort of psychology to be able to manipulate the crowd to like or dislike them.
To be fair, wrestlers really are more of a family than UFC fighters that actually have to REALLY fight each other. Can you really see Conor and Kahbib talking about joining a union together?

Speaking of Conor, he has the most leverage, but why would he use his power to help a roster of fighters that have continued to shit on him from the moment he got popular. Fighters in different weight classes, lady fighters. I know I wouldn't care.

wrestlers and fighters are indapenant contracters the same way. there ae so many broken wrestler hocked on pills and drinking. it been that way for 25 years.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that episode, it was almost as if with relatively minor tweaks (obviously: image, footage & name swapping) it could've been unaltered from then on and been entirely about the UFC.

You can find the full thing on HBO Go or HBONOW

HBO has a whole lot of good stuff. Hit me up if you need reccomendations.

If you aren't already subscribed or w/e it's best to do it now and get your full before running the risk of being too late, they recently made big changes and it is going to affect these apps eventually if not soon.

imo, John Oliver and Co. as well as Bill Maher and his team, are fucking hilarious and usually come across as geniuses if not good-hearted and silly af (especially John and his friends, still got nothing but love for Bill & team though)

Btw, if you're not familiar with them, John's show is called Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Bill Maher's show is called Real Time with Bill Maher.

Both are great, and Bill gets love from all sides of the isles except for the most extreme of extremists (Ben Affleck is full of shit and knows nothing about anything) & this isn't to say that John Oliver isn't as deserving if not even moreso than Bill, when it comes to that level of appreciation. Hell, he wins Emmys...
I was right there with you with 1 major exception:
The UFC isn't as big as the WWE.

I think ultimately it's not gonna change because of the owners but because of the labor choosing to organize. I really don't understand why the NFL PA or some other labor body doesn't step in and try to help. There membership numbers would explode by taking on a whole new industry and it help pool funding for future labor negotiations in their separate sports.

I think the biggest issue is the attitudes of the fighters and the lengths that some of the owners will go to in order to prevent organizing (both inside and outside the law).

Years ago I had a friend who was trying to organize his coworkers. They met for breakfast at denny's before work started a few times. He was fired for it. I told him to call the NLRB. He was reinstated at work with back pay but found another job during the 6 months that it took to resolve and didn't go back. The company had to pay his back wages and some legal fees. They did not have to pay their employees any more though because they got rid of the problem relatively easily and inexpensively.

Yes they broke the law, yes they were held accountable, and yes they had to pay for it. However it got rid of the employee who was leading the charge to organize--effectively killing the efforts.

ufc is just the tip of the iceberg

I was right there with you with 1 major exception:
The UFC isn't as big as the WWE.

I think ultimately it's not gonna change because of the owners but because of the labor choosing to organize. I really don't understand why the NFL PA or some other labor body doesn't step in and try to help. There membership numbers would explode by taking on a whole new industry and it help pool funding for future labor negotiations in their separate sports.

I think the biggest issue is the attitudes of the fighters and the lengths that some of the owners will go to in order to prevent organizing (both inside and outside the law).

Yeah, UFC not being as big as the WWE is what gave me hope during the attempts to unionize...but it seems none of the suits will let that happen as long as they're living!

Damn...you mentioned the lengths they'll go to...and needless to say, it is so royally fucked up...especially what your friend went through which happens to others with such alarming frequency...and sometimes with much worse severity and life-changing effects as well as aftershock...the actions of these wealth-addicted zombies are morally subterranean.

Is being a part of the glitterati worth it if you have to use a pile of bodies in order to ascend? If anyone answers yes, you know what special type of demon they are.

One day things will be different, and hopefully if they ever change...it will only get better. People having more than enough to eat, and enough to erase concerns over expenses both necessary and not...how can you be against that? The world not having enough wealth to provide that for everyone...that's clearly propaganda and such an elementary form of it!

The actual video...OP you might want to copy this to original post.

Not seeing how some guy I’ve never heard of ranting about WWE is going to affect the UFC.

Back