John Nash reports on Bellator vs UFC financials & ...

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bellator revenue is about 1/35th of UFC & their revenue total is about 1/15th of UFC's profit.
He also tweeted the other day that Bellator is in the red (higher expenses since Coker took over)

Sadly, it is further apart than anybody thought.
MMA needs a healthy #2 to move forward. Hopefully things change

Last edited:
Bellator revenue is about 1/35th of UFC & their revenue total is about 1/15th of UFC's profit.
He also tweeted the other day that Bellator is in the red (higher expenses since Coker took over)

Sadly, it is further apart than anybody thought.
MMA needs a healthy #2 to move forward. Hopefully things change

Define "move forward"

Define "move forward"

I'm not slamming you, but that is a pretty easy guess

MMA seems to have plateaued.
UFC/WME is still an ATM, but the over-all interest hopefully grows & Bellator (or another co.) is pivotal to that IMO

Well, you’re never going to have a great number 2 if they don’t have a parent company willing to see through losses. I don’t know what the ceiling is but Viacom was there when UFC was a cash toilet for awhile but the Fertittas hung on.

Eventually enough will be enough if things don’t start trending upwards but I’m happy that Viacom is willing to invest. It’s unrealistic to expect it to be instantly profitable if you have worldwide ambitions like Bellator does. This is where Strikeforce failed, the parent company was happy to have a little hobby subsidiary run out of their arena every now and then but weren’t invested enough to deal with the losses despite good ratings on Showtime, a credible roster, and a strengthening brand.

Bellator is a retirement home for has beens.

A good, legit, #2 org that could compete with the UFC would be cool (such as Pride back in the day).

Unfortunately, the UFC seem to have a major monopoly on the sport. I can't see an org rising up and challenging them.

People think Bellator can be a challenger ? Have they even reached Strikeforce levels (I don't think so, Strikeforce > Bellator) ?

Well, you’re never going to have a great number 2 if they don’t have a parent company willing to see through losses. I don’t know what the ceiling is but Viacom was there when UFC was a cash toilet for awhile but the Fertittas hung on.

Eventually enough will be enough if things don’t start trending upwards but I’m happy that Viacom is willing to invest. It’s unrealistic to expect it to be instantly profitable if you have worldwide ambitions like Bellator does. This is where Strikeforce failed, the parent company was happy to have a little hobby subsidiary run out of their arena every now and then but weren’t invested enough to deal with the losses despite good ratings on Showtime, a credible roster, and a strengthening brand.

They are going in the opposite direction though since Coker
Viacom did not just buy Bellator in 2017
There is very little chance that they expected to lose money in 2017

as far as SF, you are spot on
Sadly though, when SF started losing money, Coker did a HW tourney as a hail-mary & ....

Hopefully this time is different

20 million annual revenue? Damn son that is low with what they pay their names. GSP and Conor events pull 20 million each easy.

A good, legit, #2 org that could compete with the UFC would be cool (such as Pride back in the day).

Unfortunately, the UFC seem to have a major monopoly on the sport. I can't see an org rising up and challenging them.

People think Bellator can be a challenger ? Have they even reached Strikeforce levels (I don't think so, Strikeforce > Bellator) ?

That is the thing
I think a mistake Bellator made was thinking they can challenge & trying PPV & losing money.
They were a great free alternative to UFC.
I don't think UFC needs a challenger, but a fiscally healthy alternative that is different

UFC was number 2, PRIDE was number 1

$20 Mil should cover them every year. How much are they paying these old guys at the top. Is the stage taking most of the expenses.

$20 Mil should cover them every year. How much are they paying these old guys at the top. Is the stage taking most of the expenses.

They outbid UFC on most of the top names, so expenses are up.

I expected a significant difference but damn!

But... But... But... Bellator has sponsors on the shorts! :eek:

I was really rooting for Bellator back when the Reebok deal was starting and all that, but its booking squandered whatever interest I had. Their matchmaking is horrid. We either get squash matchesmatches or "superfights." The actual good fights are few and far in between, thanks to them keeping their champs on the shelf for 9 months.

I'm not suprised though. Bellator's matchmaking aside from this heavyweight tournament has been awful. Their big 200 card has Gegard and MVP on it. And no Gegard and MVP aren't fighting each other, but fighting guys nobody knows.

The only big matchup they've made lately was Rory vs Lima.

Bellator & the UFC are doing the opposite of what they should be doing.

Bellator should be the home of the Super Fights & Freakshow Fights

UFC should be the home for the best vs best.

They'll never see sucess like Kimbo vs Dada again trying to be a legit #2.

But... But... But... Bellator has sponsors on the shorts! :eek:

I was really rooting for Bellator back when the Reebok deal was starting and all that, but its booking squandered whatever interest I had. Their matchmaking is horrid. We either get squash matchesmatches or "superfights." The actual good fights are few and far in between, thanks to them keeping their champs on the shelf for 9 months.

What would you do different?
I actually thought the Bjorn format made them different.
Now they seem like WCW did against WWE, the older UFC cast-offs get big money but don't make the ROI

Back