John Danaher front headlock set filmed and on the way

The regular guillotine is the final missing link for me.

I would have thought that the anaconda and guillotine would be best friends, as people often counter the anaconda by flaring out their elbow, leaving room for the guillotine, however this hasn't been the case for me.

How do you incorporate the guillotine into your front headlock game in general?
Specifically, I'm particularly concerned about people timing me and getting past my legs once I get the guillotine grip. Sometimes I'll get the guillotine grip and as I sit back into guard (typically the belly shin guard rather than closed guard), people will run past my legs and I'll end up on bottom side control with a weak side guillotine (their head and body on opposite sides of my body).

I would have thought that the anaconda and guillotine would be best friends, as people often counter the anaconda by flaring out their elbow, leaving room for the guillotine, however this hasn't been the case for me.

That has also not been the case for me. I got a lot of anacondas off failed arm in guillotines or from hook sweeps off arm-ins or rolling Rafa style but nogt many guillotines from the anaconda. If the anaconda fails I think it's easier to just swim to a brabo instead of releasing their trapped arm instead of going back to just the neck.

Specifically, I'm particularly concerned about people timing me and getting past my legs once I get the guillotine grip. Sometimes I'll get the guillotine grip and as I sit back into guard (typically the belly shin guard rather than closed guard), people will run past my legs and I'll end up on bottom side control with a weak side guillotine (their head and body on opposite sides of my body).

Hmm. I haven't had much of a problem with that. Are you sitting back/pulling guard or are you sort of jumping into them with your shin leading the way? If you do the latter and really jump into them instead of thinking of it as pulling guard I think it's harder for them to clear your legs. One thing the Danaher guys do I'll post below from Garry Tonon is not something I've really seen anywhere else. It also makes your legs farther away from them to clear. It doesn't work that well arm-in I don't think but it can stop the run around for the arm-out.

The knee detail at around 3 mins in.

Cool detail on the knee block.

@DirtyHolt

You seem to like to bait people with the guillotine from front headlock. You then run pass the legs into side control. How do I ensure this doesn't happen?

Cool detail on the knee block.

@DirtyHolt

You seem to like to bait people with the guillotine from front headlock. You then run pass the legs into side control. How do I ensure this doesn't happen?
Do not let them get their head on the opposite side they want to pass. Do not let them clear the leg on the side they want to pass. Honestly, I have never seen anyone except me pass this way, which is probably why it works so well.

Do not let them get their head on the opposite side they want to pass. Do not let them clear the leg on the side they want to pass. Honestly, I have never seen anyone except me pass this way, which is probably why it works so well.

Yes you are also the only person I've encountered who does this. I'm trying to have something ready for you should we ever meet again...

Your timing is very good. It's difficult to stop when both my arms are committed to your neck. I think you take advantage of the brief moment where I have to drop back into guard to run around my legs.

What do your normal training partners use to counter you when you do this?

I really hate this guy. He is needlesly complicated in all of his instruction barely goes over what you just learned really condenscending egomaniac fuck this guy and rashguard on rogans podcast fuck him

I can personally confirm he walks around NYC in his rash guard, saw him in Whole Foods lol

FUCK YEAHH!!!

mount is what we need next we have plenty of kimura trap sets i hope he comes out his senses and realizes the bjj community hasnt had a legit mount dvd since the 90s going over top level strategy

FUCK YEAHH!!!

mount is what we need next we have plenty of kimura trap sets i hope he comes out his senses and realizes the bjj community hasnt had a legit mount dvd since the 90s going over top level strategy

i think head and arm guillotines work much better than normal ones at higher levels i my first good guillotine was the 10 finger back when it was popular around 2008 then evolved into normal marcelotine style but getting the finish is hard at times from bottom.

i started trying to use it to flip guys tot here back and mount with it but that can be difficult vs good guys now i prefer head and arm chokes controlling one of there arms makes it much easier to control them to get your hips in and get good pressure to choke when they have both hands to sue to defend at times it can be hard unless you get that sucker deep

I have a classmate that times me all the time, But I’m stuck trying to finish the Marcelotine anyways, if you get the right angle it really doesn’t matter, you can still finish it, it’s low % though unless your marcelo Garcia...

i think head and arm guillotines work much better than normal ones at higher levels i my first good guillotine was the 10 finger back when it was popular around 2008 then evolved into normal marcelotine style but getting the finish is hard at times from bottom.

i started trying to use it to flip guys tot here back and mount with it but that can be difficult vs good guys now i prefer head and arm chokes controlling one of there arms makes it much easier to control them to get your hips in and get good pressure to choke when they have both hands to sue to defend at times it can be hard unless you get that sucker deep

I agree. As I roll with better people, I generally prefer control over finishing power with any move.

i started trying to use it to flip guys tot here back and mount with it but that can be difficult vs good guys now i prefer head and arm chokes controlling one of there arms makes it much easier to control them to get your in and get good pressure to choke when they have both hands to sue to defend at times it can be hard unless you get that sucker deep

Marcelo mainly uses the marcelotine, and it works for him really well... actually u can’t remember Marcelo using an arm in guillotine... the technique works at all levels...

Marcelo mainly uses the marcelotine, and it works for him really well... actually u can’t remember Marcelo using an arm in guillotine... the technique works at all levels...
Yeah as an MGinaction member since 2009 the only times I've seen him really pursue them at all were in a couple rolls in the website with Dillon Danis. And for sure the high elbow/Marcelotine works at all levels. Awesome technique. Geo Martinez just finished a beautiful one on that Quintet event just a week or two ago.

wel
l thats Marcelo lol he can make lots of things work for him given his level he doesnt believe n head and arm chokes at all like darces arm triangles ect but we know they work its just his preference.

but for me i feel its easier to finish a head and arm given u dont have to chase there body around a good guys gonna fall to his back trying to scramble and not let you hook legs to his body to get pressure gotta have a good deep lock on the neck

Back