John Berardi Recommends Creatine for Recreationalists

yomon said:
i like your cycleing idea KK, would you think it would be acceptable or optimal to buy small containers of both creatine and protien powder and cycle by switching between creatine and protien when you finish one of the tubs? I'm talking roughly a 2 - 3 week supply container.
Take creatine for 2-3 months, then cycle off for 2-3 weeks. I haven't seen anything concrete personally on cycling, but considering what's been said in this thread, and considering there are cautions against building up toxicities, it's not that big a problem just going off a couple of weeks every now and then, right?

King Kabuki said:
I keep seeing articles that state "protein suppresses appetite." Every time I see that I giggle. Protein = food. You eat, you should no longer be hungry. Derr.

You have an amusing point, but the articles state that protein supresses appetite more than fats or CHO. They have given people isocaloric diets and then 10% or something more of either only CHO, fat or protein. The protein groups normally show increased satiety, and they gain the least amount of weight.

You have an amusing point, but the articles state that protein supresses appetite more than fats or CHO. They have given people isocaloric diets and then 10% or something more of either only CHO, fat or protein. The protein groups normally show increased satiety, and they gain the least amount of weight.

I do read the WHOLE articles. It's just a funny way to put a headline. It's like saying want to end your hunger? Eat!

Madmick said:
Take creatine for 2-3 months, then cycle off for 2-3 weeks. I haven't seen anything concrete personally on cycling, but considering what's been said in this thread, and considering there are cautions against building up toxicities, it's not that big a problem just going off a couple of weeks every now and then, right?

This is good advice, particularly in light of the fact that your creatine isn't 100% pure creatine. There is a bunch of other chemical crap in there that you consume which were added during the manufacturing process. These additional unpublished ingredients vary widely by manufacturer. So give your liver, kidneys, and other detoxification organs a rest from whatever you are inadvertantly taking with the creatine.

This is good advice, particularly in light of the fact that your creatine isn't 100% pure creatine. There is a bunch of other chemical crap in there that you consume which were added during the manufacturing process. These additional unpublished ingredients vary widely by manufacturer. So give your liver, kidneys, and other detoxification organs a rest from whatever you are inadvertantly taking with the creatine.

What are the other chemicals in the creatine that you have to worry about?

Talk about reviving the dead.

Pretty interesting to see the quaint notions about creatine cycling from a few years ago.

Here's a very helpful creatine review from a science journal. Be sure to read it yourself....

Clinical Pharmacology of the Dietary Supplement Creatine Monohydrate -- Persky and Brazeau 53 (2): 161 -- Pharmacological Reviews

Here's the snip from the 'side effects' section....

Side effects from Cr supplementation have been reported both anecdotally and in the scientific literature. Possible side effects of Cr supplementation have been previously reviewed by Juhn and Tarnopolsky (1998b). Briefly, Cr supplementation has been documented as being associated with weight gain, gastrointestinal distress, and renal dysfunction and anecdotally reported to cause muscle cramps and hepatic dysfunction.

Typically weight gain is between 1 and 2 kg and is initially brought on by water retention, but may be maintained by changes in amount of lean body mass. Athletes generally desire this effect. Gastrointestinal distress has been reported anecdotally but little to no studies have documented nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. This may be a function of single large doses of Cr or subsequent ingestion of large amounts of carbohydrates. Muscle cramps have been reported anecdotally, but published studies have yet to find muscle cramps associated with supplementation.

In a double-blind, crossover study, subjects were supplemented with Cr at 20 g/day (4

This guy is a genius, he is always at the tip of the spear with nutrition research.

Back