• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe Rogan's bias or Jimmy Smith's "yes man" attitude

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
The best moments in HBO boxing commentary were when Roy Jones or George Foreman would argue with Jim Lampley or Larry Merchant. There's nothing wrong with strong opinions. But if the commentary booth has just one assertive voice that goes unchecked, then those opinions are bound to end up in a ditch. That's just what humans do. We all need checks and balances on ourselves. We all need other people to keep us honest.

The internet outrage is precisely because no one represented the alternative perspective. Jimmy Smith meekly challenged Joe a couple times, and that was it. I keep saying this, and I'll continue say. You need a fighter in the booth. When Joe is with Dominic Cruz, you will never hear Joe go off the rails. You need that balance in commentary. Jimmy Smith + Joe Rogan is a failed combination.

Jones and Foreman argue because they're punch drunk

Joe, Jimmy, and Anik were superb last night

The amount of hate Rogan gets, is ridiculous. But since everyone considers themselves to be top MMA experts, I guess it’s unavoidable.

Rogan is so passionate and educated in the game of fighting, I love listening to his insights and emotional outbursts. He tends to give jiu jitsu guys like Maia a bit too much praise, but it’s all in moderation.

Sherdog is and always has been full pseudo experts trashing commentators...

Best trio imo: Rogan - DC - Anik

Rogan says alot of stupid things so I can understand the dislike for him

What I don't get is the hate for Anik. Dude is just as big an MMA fan as Joe and kills it on commentary.

The best moments in HBO boxing commentary were when Roy Jones or George Foreman would argue with Jim Lampley or Larry Merchant. There's nothing wrong with strong opinions. But if the commentary booth has just one assertive voice that goes unchecked, then those opinions are bound to end up in a ditch. That's just what humans do. We all need checks and balances on ourselves. We all need other people to keep us honest.

The internet outrage is precisely because no one represented the alternative perspective. Jimmy Smith meekly challenged Joe a couple times, and that was it. I keep saying this, and I'll continue say. You need a fighter in the booth. When Joe is with Dominic Cruz, you will never hear Joe go off the rails. You need that balance in commentary. Jimmy Smith + Joe Rogan is a failed combination.
Jimmy needs to smoke a fucking joint.

Dude is way too straight-laced

I’ll never understand the hate Joe gets. He truly is a fan of the sport and his emotion shows. He says what we are all thinking. Plus the guy can kick someone into next year.

It's not "hating" to point out when his commentary is off.

Got me on that one, but who wasn’t sold on her before the Holm fight?
EVERYONE. I love joe, but he is too biased. You really need Cruz in there to balance him out. He had always had his favorite fighters, he is just now far more obvious with it. Literally only shills and people who have no knowledge of mma said ronda was anything but terrible on the feet. She was fighting soccer moms. EVERYONE KNEW THIS. The same people who didn't are the same type of people who thought rose won last night.

It's not "hating" to point out when his commentary is off.
Not just on his commentary. I’ve seen countless haters saying Joe is somewhat of a fake martial artist. He helped GSP improve his spinning back kick. Nuff said.

I honestly don't give a fuck, it's bizarre get so salty.

Rational people?
No, that’s complete revisionist history. Probably based on willful ignorance and irrational hate. WMMA was basically a joke. She helped put it on the map, as few thought women could actually perform legitimate techniques in the octagon. Few imagined it would be at the point it is today. That was the perception. She was a huge part in changing that, whether you like her, or you’re a whiny 12-year-old that wants to ignore that just to indulge in your whining hate.

The same people bitching and moaning about Rogan being biased also bitched and moaned about Cruz being too abrasive and challenging Joe too much. You just can't win with some people.

That's mostly intentional. Jimmy is Joe's replacement IMO. This is just a temporary, transitional phase.
“The same people” is one of the weirdest most irrational ways people manufacture statistics in their own head. Please tell us how you know they are the same people.

Joe + DC is best combination in my mind.

I hope they put Cruz with Rogan again shortly. It's pretty funny the difference when he is with Cruz and when he is with DC.

For me Cruz is great when you want to learn what's happening in the octagon. DC and Rogan are the funnest pairing though.

Rogan says alot of stupid things so I can understand the dislike for him

What I don't get is the hate for Anik. Dude is just as big an MMA fan as Joe and kills it on commentary.

You need Anik there to keep the actual production flowing. I reckon if you took him out it would affect the quality a lot more than people think.

He knows his role and plays it well.

No, that’s complete revisionist history. Probably based on willful ignorance and irrational hate. WMMA was basically a joke. She helped put it on the map, as few thought women could actually perform legitimate techniques in the octagon. Few imagined it would be at the point it is today. That was the perception. She was a huge part in changing that, whether you like her, or you’re a whiny 12-year-old that wants to ignore that just to indulge in your whining hate.
Huh? Joe Rogan was calling her a "once ever" athlete. She was put on the cover of pro boxing magazines. People were having legitimate arguments over whether or not Ronda could beat Floyd in a fight. She was way overhyped to the point of retard status. No revisionist history there whatsoever.

But do u really want a dick like Cruz though?

I hope they put Cruz with Rogan again shortly. It's pretty funny the difference when he is with Cruz and when he is with DC.

For me Cruz is great when you want to learn what's happening in the octagon. DC and Rogan are the funnest pairing though.

Cruz analysis tends to go much deeper than the other guys. Its similar to having a corner man that can provide his fighter with a clear strategy on how to change the fight in his favor versus saying general rah rah stuff like "dig deep, check the kick, land the punch, let your hands fly etc."

Yeah, Jimmy is good, but not when with Rogan.

Agree with the 3-man solution.

Jimmy's style seems modeled after Rogan's to me; it's redundant to have them in there together.

Jimmy for sure modeled after Joe when finding his style. But then again, a lot of commentators have. Joe has been a phenomenal commentator for years... But his recent shtick is a cause for concern.

I love joe rogan but jimmy smith is a complete yes man. They are also terrible togather i dunno maybe jimmy worships him too much or something but he would never disagree with him.

Back