Joao Miyao vs Sergio Amorim (Joao plays top game!)

BJJArsenal

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Can't pretend I wasn't massively surprised to see this.

EDIT: If you're interested, this one follows a similar vain. Joao starts on bottom and (of course) attacks the berimbolo but finishes with a sub from the top position. Interesting to see similarities between Joao's and Lo's style of attacking the half guard, and interesting to see that Joao does actually have a top game without using leg drags.

Last edited:
I'm surprised every time I see either of the Miyaos not sat on their butts.

Did the first video have german commentary or terrible music? Or better stated, was the German part of the terrible music or was is commentary?

He's NOT similar to Lo AT ALL...mostly because he doesn't post his free hand when knee slicing, and that makes the pass much weaker, as the first video shows (He had problems putting pressure and trying to release his foot)

Honestly, this may be because I dislike both Miyao's, but his passing is not ~world champ level, differently from his guard

I'm surprised every time I see either of the Miyaos not sat on their butts.

Understandably.

He's NOT similar to Lo AT ALL...mostly because he doesn't post his free hand when knee slicing, and that makes the pass much weaker, as the first video shows (He had problems putting pressure and trying to release his foot)

Honestly, this may be because I dislike both Miyao's, but his passing is not ~world champ level, differently from his guard

I meant more his focus on the knee slide and the collar choke of the pass from half-guard. It seems effective but not the best in the world.

I'm not surprised at all, they train like an incredible amount of hours every day, of course they have a (presumably at least good) top game.

Also his opponents aren't world class, maybe he's just trying his b-plan.

Anyway if I remember correctly Joao played some top against Gary Tonon too.

Any videos of a Miyao rolling with R. Mendes?

Why would the knee slice be weaker if you don't post your free hand?

Because BJJScout made a video on it and now there's only right way to do that pass according to people on the internet >.>

Because BJJScout made a video on it and now there's only right way to do that pass according to people on the internet >.>

I didn't wanna say it, as I don't know Difeco, but I'll admit that I was thinking it. The whole 'active posting' thing is just one style of passing that works for Lo and others with his attributes/preferences, it's not some new guard passing gospel.

I didn't wanna say it, as I don't know Difeco, but I'll admit that I was thinking it. The whole 'active posting' thing is just one style of passing that works for Lo and others with his attributes/preferences, it's not some new guard passing gospel.

Well there's your answer. I use the posting sometimes but not always. It helps in certain situations but using the excuse of 'Leandro Lo does it' is akin to suggesting everyone stop caring about position like Buchecha.

Lol, the Meows just can't win.

Compete at black belt, pass, take the back, and submit all under 5 minutes, then people complain it's not as good as arguably one of the best guard passers in sport bjj.

World class competition or not, that black belt offered Joao nothing from guard.

Wow, no wonder it got a lot colder here fast. A Miyao playing top...shiiiieeeeet. He looked good doing it, so I hope to see more of that.

Back