JMM vs. Erik Morales who would have won?

Rayrobinson#1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If JMM fought Morales in their primes who would've won? It is too bad this fight never took place. Based on how goo JMM was against Pac and his overall great technique I'm going to have to say JMM would have won a decison in a fight of the year kind of fight.

Too bad this fight was never made. I personally think Morales' people did not want anything to do with JMM too much risk and too little reward.

I think Erik would have won and quite handily. Erik at the top of his game beat Pacquiao more decisively than Juan came close to in two performances. Though I don't attribute the second fight loss to Erik being aged, rather Pac having improved, in the first fight Erik fought the same Pac that JMM did.

That aside, to beat Erik you couldn't just out-box him. You had to both out-box and out-fight him. In his prime he was equally as vicious as Pacquiao in the ring. When you hit and hurt him, he was at his most dangerous as well. JMM has skill, but so did Erik, and more general meanness/toughness.

Though I don't attribute the second fight loss to Erik being aged, rather Pac having improved, in the first fight Erik fought the same Pac that JMM did.

Instead of aged can we use the term dried out? I thought he was going to die at the weigh-in.

BTW: I lost another case of beer thise weekend.

You need to check my log.

very very nice. I'm glad you were able to get that. I check all the time.

I think Erik would have won and quite handily. Erik at the top of his game beat Pacquiao more decisively than Juan came close to in two performances. Though I don't attribute the second fight loss to Erik being aged, rather Pac having improved, in the first fight Erik fought the same Pac that JMM did.

That aside, to beat Erik you couldn't just out-box him. You had to both out-box and out-fight him. In his prime he was equally as vicious as Pacquiao in the ring. When you hit and hurt him, he was at his most dangerous as well. JMM has skill, but so did Erik, and more general meanness/toughness.

was he at the top of his game during the first pacquiao fight?

was he at the top of his game during the first pacquiao fight?

I think so. Erik deteriorated pretty rapidly. And two of the Barrera fights were questionable decisions, so arguably he had only definitively lost once.

I think so. Erik deteriorated pretty rapidly. And two of the Barrera fights were questionable decisions, so arguably he had only definitively lost once.

that zahir raheem loss was a shocker...

what is Erik doing these days? I heard he lives in San Ysidiro, CA? Is he training guys or promoting? I always liked that dude

I thought Barrera clearly won the 1st and 3rd fights. Although the first fight officially went to Morales. Barrera had a great style for Morales and a great left hook up and down to go with it. Kind of like JMM has a great style to give Pac a hard time.

that zahir raheem loss was a shocker...

It's what happens when you fail to make weight, and a guy like Zahir happens to have his best night in the ring.

what is Erik doing these days? I heard he lives in San Ysidiro, CA? Is he training guys or promoting? I always liked that dude

Promoting, and being fat and happy. He's gotten pretty plump.

I thought Barrera clearly won the 1st and 3rd fights. Although the first fight officially went to Morales. Barrera had a great style for Morales and a great left hook up and down to go with it. Kind of like JMM has a great style to give Pac a hard time.

A lot of people disagree on the third fight. I remember it was pretty close IMO, haven't watched it in a while.

That aside, to beat Erik you couldn't just out-box him. You had to both out-box and out-fight him. In his prime he was equally as vicious as Pacquiao in the ring.
When you hit and hurt him, he was at his most dangerous as well. JMM has skill, but so did Erik, and more general meanness/toughness.

Easy win for JMM, cause he'd never hurt El Terrible! :D

That aside,

It would be a spirited fight but JMM would be out gunned, out chinned and out classed by Erik.

Erik would eventually pound out JMM, half his face might be closed in the process though.

I'd have to go with Morales.

There's a small, but vital difference in how Marquez could fight Morales and how he'd fight Manny. Marquez' counter punching style works great- but not perfectly- against Pacquio. Course, Manny will stop throwing punches if you back him up and counter whereas Morales would certainly not. Erick could actually fight on his backfoot.

Morales via UD.

As for Morales/Barrera III, it was the easiest to score of the 3 matches in my opinion. I had Barrera winning by 2 rounds. Certainly competitive, but the rounds Barrera won were decisive, so I don't understand any possible controversy. That was actually my favorite of the trilogy.

But if Pacquiao really improved as you say, Marquez arguably beat that version whereas Morales can't make that claim.

My personal feeling is Morales was on the way out during the first Pacquiao fight. It was his last great stand.

Morales would've beaten Marquez, probably by wide decision. Prime Morales was something special, he could fight, box, whatever. The guy had balls of Iron, the fight would've happened had Marquez not bitched out. And when the fight was supposed to happen Morales was on a downhill run and yet Marquez still didnt want none of el terible.

He is a better boxer than Barrera in my eyes and can also fight when he needs to (proven as of late).

You can't just fight when you need to to beat Erik. You have to go and out-fight him, that's how Barrera got as close as he did to winning, he stood his ground against Erik and had the skill to unleash just as much landing firepower. You can't be forced to fight by El Terrible.

But if Pacquiao really improved as you say, Marquez arguably beat that version whereas Morales can't make that claim.

My personal feeling is Morales was on the way out during the first Pacquiao fight. It was his last great stand.

That brings up the question of Pac's apex. People were muttering before this fight that he'd lost a step to his aggression, because of his performance in the Barrera fight, and how much trouble Jorge Solis gave him, but there's no real way to be certain of that.

The thing is, Erik beat the Pac that floored Juan 3 times and rallied late in their fight, and he did it by cutting and hurting him, and winning enough rounds to simply give away the last round. Even if Erik was on his way out, that says something of his quality.

Too tough to call in my book. I'll just say that the type of fighter that gives JMM the most problems are true boxers with a good jab. Morales definitely has the body type to utilize a good jab against JMM, but I don't see him doing that the whole fight. It's not his nature. But I know Morales will make JMM fight and a prime Morales would outwork him. JMM will definitely give a spirited fight, but it would be a long night for him because he can't OUTFIGHT Morales. I'll say Morales by UD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back